Confused Spark.

Old May 6th 2006, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

r1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant future
Default Confused Spark.

Hi.

I've read various posts re working as a spark in VIC and having to work as an assistant until registered.

Today i went to an OE seminar for people about to move to Oz and asked them about the TRA. I was told that once the TRA stuff has been approved at the application stage it doesn't have to be done again in Oz as long as i don't want to work for myself. Was told that i can work for any company as a spark on full pay without any extra paperwork or tests etc.

Is this true or am i being mis-informed again.

Cheers.
Old May 6th 2006, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused Spark.

Originally Posted by r1c1
Hi.

I've read various posts re working as a spark in VIC and having to work as an assistant until registered.

Today i went to an OE seminar for people about to move to Oz and asked them about the TRA. I was told that once the TRA stuff has been approved at the application stage it doesn't have to be done again in Oz as long as i don't want to work for myself. Was told that i can work for any company as a spark on full pay without any extra paperwork or tests etc.

Cheers.

Technically true. But (there's always one isn't there) you are not supposed to connect electricity to the mains without a licence. So really you can work as an electrician, but only as an assistant, which is basically the same as being an apprentice here.

That's how I have interpreted it anyway. But I could be wrong (it has been known )

Speak to Steve 'O he knows most things about it.
Old May 6th 2006, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

r1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant future

Hi WendyC

Thanks for reply.

I keep being told they need decent sparks in Oz but when i finally apply for a visa i find out that i've basically got to sit my trade test again.

I don't get it.

steve.
Old May 7th 2006, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

richard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud of

Hi.

Cheers.
Hi

Reading your post makes me really mad. We were also told that by OE visa's and were also told that as I only had 9 years experience [told it should be minimum 10] it would be a struggle for me to get recognition from the TRA. Was put in touch with John Nye told that he was the best man and if anyone could get me past the TRA it would be him. Was told by John that it would involve a face to face visit and that he only came to England twice a year we would have to wait for approx 6 months. He would fill out all the forms with the info that we were to supply him with. He was only going to charge us GBP1500!!
We filled out all the forms and references from apprentice to present and waited for his visit. When he turned up [no notice given he rang me from heathrow for directions] we got to my CV, he said that it should be re-written. Fair enough I thought he should know better. When it came to my apprenticeship I again mentioned to him about the fact it was my step Dad that I had worked for and he said that we could just shuffle the dates around to suit!! 6months before he had said that it was to risky!!
Anyway a certificate duly turned up with a covering letter.

Dear Applicant

SKILLED MIGRATION ASSESSMENT
The processing of your pre-migration 'Application for Assessment of Trade Training and Experience' has been completed. Based on the documents you provided your qualification and/or experience meets the requirements for migration purposes as a:
Tradesperson and Related Workers nec [4311-11]
Trades Recognition Australia [TRA] makes skills assessments for migration purposes. Assessments ought not be used or relied upon for any other purpose. In making skills assessments TRA relies upon information provided by the applicant. TRA is unable to, and does not, impliedly or otherwise, warrent the accuracy of either the information provided by the applicant nor therefore the skill assessment themselves.
If you intend to apply for migration to Australia it is important to ensure that you include a copy of this letter with your application.

Youres faithfully

We landed in Australia on the 27 nov thinking that work was a phone call away. So I decided to look for work after Christmas.
I went to Melbourne to collect the application form for my license to work only to be asked for a certificate. When I handed over the one which cost a small fortune from Mr Nye was told that it meant nothing now that I was in the country. So back to the TRA to ask for another form which was exactly the same as the one I filled out in England. Also the TRA's web site is wrong as it says that you only fill in some of the form. The TRA have been very helpful and all that they need to see are C & G certificates, but they only meet once a month and they are very busy and cant promise which meeting you will be included in.
You can only work as a trades assistant until you have the correct certificates and then only as a supervised electrician until you pass your A grade exams, in Victoria don't know of anywhere else.

I think that I have bored you enough for now will write a seperate post about O bloody E visas when I fell calm enough.
Richard
Old May 7th 2006, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

richard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud of

Hi.

Cheers.
Forgot to mention that at my interveiw with the TRA [thats a different story] was told that the certificate I was given would if anything go against me as it was saying that I was a competant electrician even though I hadn't done an apprenticeship. I have done a full apprenticeship and explained this to OEvisas and John Nye time wasting money grabbing bastards
Richard
Old May 7th 2006, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi.

This seems a crazy system. I can't believe it's so hard to come to Oz and work as a spark. I worked with a spark from Oz who came to Uk 2 years ago and he was able to come to Uk and work unsupervised straight away on a full sparks wage.

Steve.
Old May 7th 2006, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

This seems a crazy system. I can't believe it's so hard to come to Oz and work as a spark. I worked with a spark from Oz who came to Uk 2 years ago and he was able to come to Uk and work unsupervised straight away on a full sparks wage.

Steve.
Welcome the 'confused and pissed off sparks going to Aus club'
basically its TRA to emmigrate then, once you're there, TRA for work.
Old May 7th 2006, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

Steve.

Yep, just like joe blogs from down the road with no knowledge of electrics can rewire an house in the UK.

Yes it may take you an extra few months to earn a full wage, but any sparky who can do his job will have no problem in proving his standards and will pass any exams in a breath.

It also protects your job at the end of the day as it means that not any tom, dick or harry can come along and say "well yes I can do electrics". At the end of the day which way would you rather have it.
Old May 7th 2006, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WendyC
Yep, just like joe blogs from down the road with no knowledge of electrics can rewire an house in the UK.

Yes it may take you an extra few months to earn a full wage, but any sparky who can do his job will have no problem in proving his standards and will pass any exams in a breath.

It also protects your job at the end of the day as it means that not any tom, dick or harry can come along and say "well yes I can do electrics". At the end of the day which way would you rather have it.
You're right there Wendy but would have liked some accurate info from the so called experts at the visa company before we left so that we could at least bring the correct paperwork
Richard
Old May 7th 2006, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by richard-elly
You're right there Wendy but would have liked some accurate info from the so called experts at the visa company before we left so that we could at least bring the correct paperwork
Richard

Yes agree totally. It should be made known BEFORE you spend all youe money on relocating around the world. Maybe we should start a petition or something.

I am just really glad that I know about all this before we arrive.

We are in the lucky position that my hubby has a few other things under his belt to enable us to make a few bucks, without a trades licence if needed. Because he didn't do his C&G until he was well into his 20's he has had other jobs which don't need licensing.

He is going to do all the courses etc that is requored to be an Electrician, but in the meantime there is two or three other things that he can do.