Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Confused over location :(

Confused over location :(

Old Apr 2nd 2005, 8:10 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Lightbulb Confused over location :(

Hello Friends,
Need your suggestion on some confusion.
I will be candid to tell you that I am confused about making final move, I mean which state/city will be good for me. I first short listed three places NSW (Sydney,), Vic (Melb.) and QLD (Brisb.). But finally settled with Sydney and Melbourne. Since the domain in which I work suits both this places.
I am confused where to choose Melb over Sydney for the cost of living and strategywise decision.

- Cost of living in Sydney is heigher but jobs may be readily avalable:
The cost of living in Sydney is heigher and so the day to day expenses will also take a toll on me. The city is quite spreaded out again commutation time loss. But there are lot of jobs availabe of my type, I usually visited mycareer, careerone and others. Seems the city is promising but cost kills.
- stratagic and cost of living wise move to melb. may work out well:
The last information that I got for Melb. is that the city is growing in leaps and bounds and its going to go heigher in Economics sense. What I mean is that the state Vic. will generate lot of Revenue for the country GDP and add more $'s in Govt. Kitty. The direct implication will be from more jobs creation and the state getting diversified in different domains of IT, manufacturing or Finance markets, etc. So, strategically I feel moving to melb makes more sense. But I am not sure those jobs are readily availble. Will I be able to contribute to emplyer as soon as I come to Oz?

Frankly speaking I am a very confident person but sometimes it happends that one is not sure of making the right decison.

I have my PR now and planning to make a shift to Oz in the month of June if all goes well with my current employer.
To brief about me, I am a software engieer with 7.5 yrs in various domains in Software Engineering Life cycle as an Senior Engineering Analyst (Software) for DELL in Storage Domain, leading to my present assignment in a start up organization as Team Leader – Storage Area Networks, I have acquired skills in all the phases of Software Life cycle including Storage Technology, Networking, Embedded Systems and Quality Assurance.

Suggestions and critism both are welcome,
please guide me on this.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused over location :(

Might want to check your spell checker, not sure if it is set to russian or something but you have spelled lots of words incorrectly
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 12:25 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by pandya_m
Hello Friends,
Need your suggestion on some confusion.
I will be candid to tell you that I am confused about making final move, I mean which state/city will be good for me. I first short listed three places NSW (Sydney,), Vic (Melb.) and QLD (Brisb.). But finally settled with Sydney and Melbourne. Since the domain in which I work suits both this places.
I am confused where to choose Melb over Sydney for the cost of living and strategywise decision.

- Cost of living in Sydney is heigher but jobs may be readily avalable:
The cost of living in Sydney is heigher and so the day to day expenses will also take a toll on me. The city is quite spreaded out again commutation time loss. But there are lot of jobs availabe of my type, I usually visited mycareer, careerone and others. Seems the city is promising but cost kills.
- stratagic and cost of living wise move to melb. may work out well:
The last information that I got for Melb. is that the city is growing in leaps and bounds and its going to go heigher in Economics sense. What I mean is that the state Vic. will generate lot of Revenue for the country GDP and add more $'s in Govt. Kitty. The direct implication will be from more jobs creation and the state getting diversified in different domains of IT, manufacturing or Finance markets, etc. So, strategically I feel moving to melb makes more sense. But I am not sure those jobs are readily availble. Will I be able to contribute to emplyer as soon as I come to Oz?

Frankly speaking I am a very confident person but sometimes it happends that one is not sure of making the right decison.

I have my PR now and planning to make a shift to Oz in the month of June if all goes well with my current employer.
To brief about me, I am a software engieer with 7.5 yrs in various domains in Software Engineering Life cycle as an Senior Engineering Analyst (Software) for DELL in Storage Domain, leading to my present assignment in a start up organization as Team Leader – Storage Area Networks, I have acquired skills in all the phases of Software Life cycle including Storage Technology, Networking, Embedded Systems and Quality Assurance.

Suggestions and critism both are welcome,
please guide me on this.
Hi [& don't worry about spellin mistakes....I'm the worse ]

Your dilemma is a difficult one to solve as no one can truly say which city will be best for you. Only you can work this out as it's all down to personal choice, one mans meat is another mans poison and all that

The best thing you can do is what you're obviously doing already i.e research, research, research and looking at all the pro's and cons of each. Have you used the search at the top of this screen? Maybe key in the different cities and I'm sure you'll find lots of info and comments on each.

It's natural to go through this thought process.....a 12,000 mile move is traumatic and not knowing where to live is even more of a headache, but if you've had the balls to go through the visa process.... then I'm sure you'll be OK wherever you eventually decide to go.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Old Apr 2nd 2005, 12:29 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Might want to check your spell checker, not sure if it is set to russian or something but you have spelled lots of words incorrectly
Sure.
Thanks sir indeed good observation. I skipped over that since was concentrating on what I want...being selfish then disciplined.
Its said Haste makes waste...this is live example..
Sorry for that..