Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

confused, leaving teenagers

confused, leaving teenagers

Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Bookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: confused, leaving teenagers

Bless you, what an awful dilemma. I have left my 23 year old daughter behind and my 17 year old son has come with us. He always wanted to come, but has said that in a few years time he wants to travel, so I will have to let him go then. My daughter couldn't come because she was to old for our visa. Although she is settled with her boyfriend I know what you mean about worrying about them. What I'm trying to say is what alot of others have - they will do their own thing regardless of what you want, that's a fact, so don't give up on your dreams,you will surely regret it. Your children will always know where to come when they need you.
A friend of mine said that I must be very proud to of brought up mature, independent children, I never thought of it that way before, so give yourself a pat on the back!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I have left my 18 year old son in the UK and although it is hard not seeing him every day, we do speak a lot on the phone, it's something that we had to do.

I left him some money from the sale of our house to enable him to come out and visit us at least three times (then he'll have to save his own money ) so the thought that he will be out here in a couple of months keeps me going.

I am so proud of my boy, when we were in the UK he didn't have a job (still doing A levels) but since we have been here he has found a position and is doing really well at it. He's only been there 8 weeks and is already covering the managers holidays. So it's probably the best hting we did letting him stand on his own two feet.

He will be going to University in September and luckily he is being transferred with work to a position near there.

What I'm trying to get across to you is, that you can still be there for your kids without living on their doorstep and sometimes you need to let go for them to grow. It won't be easy but you will get used to it.

In a couple of years time your kids will have their own families to consider and when that happens you'll regret not living your own life.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I have left my 18 year old son in the UK and although it is hard not seeing him every day, we do speak a lot on the phone, it's something that we had to do.

I left him some money from the sale of our house to enable him to come out and visit us at least three times (then he'll have to save his own money ) so the thought that he will be out here in a couple of months keeps me going.

I am so proud of my boy, when we were in the UK he didn't have a job (still doing A levels) but since we have been here he has found a position and is doing really well at it. He's only been there 8 weeks and is already covering the managers holidays. So it's probably the best hting we did letting him stand on his own two feet.

He will be going to University in September and luckily he is being transferred with work to a position near there.

What I'm trying to get across to you is, that you can still be there for your kids without living on their doorstep and sometimes you need to let go for them to grow. It won't be easy but you will get used to it.

In a couple of years time your kids will have their own families to consider and when that happens you'll regret not living your own life.
Well said Wendy,

It is sometimes hard to see what is there I think. My grandma used to say 'there's none so blind as those that won't see' I have been helped by so many people on here - through advice and support.

I found it hard to 'see' but when people explain things and give you their opinion it makes things 'easier to see'

Hope the OP has felt comforted by your words and everyone elses advice and help.