Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Confused and having major second thoughts.

Confused and having major second thoughts.

Old Dec 10th 2007, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

loolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really nice
Unhappy Confused and having major second thoughts.

Well to paint the picture!
During the summer I had a telephone interview for a post graduate midwifery position in Melbourne, being sponsored on the 457 visa. It took them ages to sort out the sponsorship and eventually did an online application in October, meds finalised in November and now waiting for Victoria registration.
I qualified in September and have been a housewife since then thinking it would all be happening fairly soon.
Anyway, a few weeks back when sending the meds they went to the wrong address, this was all sorted in the end but I got very stressed about it and started applying for jobs over here as I had had enough and thought the visa's would never be granted. Went for an interview on Friday and they phoned today to offer me the job!
Am so confused as to what to do. Part of me thinks we should stay so I can get my confidence in the country I trained but we are so far into the process and have spent quite alot of money on it. Husband also got a job through the expo last month.
But the hospital here is so lovely and the people were really lovely about me and my interview. I would feel so bad telling them that I don't want their job especially as there was probably lots of competition and they will have told the other applicants there were unsuccessful.
I feel shite! Sorry for such a long rambling post but am really very confused. Hubby says he will support me whatever but 8yr old overheard us and keeps saying he wants to go in Jan as planned.
What do you guys think? Honestly!
Laura x
Old Dec 10th 2007, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused and having major second thoughts.

Tell them that your OH has been offered a job in Australia so it would be unfair of you to take the position as you would probably be leaving within a year - I'm sure they'll appreciate that more than you telling them in 6 months or so that you are leaving. They'd have to re-advertise, interview etc all over again. At least if you tell them now they have other applicants they can contact.

You really all need to sit down and discuss whether Australia is what you want in the long run. If it is then it should be an easy decision.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 10:36 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loolaa1909
During the summer I had a telephone interview for a post graduate midwifery position in Melbourne, being sponsored on the 457 visa. It took them ages to sort out the sponsorship and eventually did an online application in October, meds finalised in November and now waiting for Victoria registration.
I qualified in September and have been a housewife since then thinking it would all be happening fairly soon.
Anyway, a few weeks back when sending the meds they went to the wrong address, this was all sorted in the end but I got very stressed about it and started applying for jobs over here as I had had enough and thought the visa's would never be granted. Went for an interview on Friday and they phoned today to offer me the job!
Am so confused as to what to do. Part of me thinks we should stay so I can get my confidence in the country I trained but we are so far into the process and have spent quite alot of money on it. Husband also got a job through the expo last month.
But the hospital here is so lovely and the people were really lovely about me and my interview. I would feel so bad telling them that I don't want their job especially as there was probably lots of competition and they will have told the other applicants there were unsuccessful.
I feel shite! Sorry for such a long rambling post but am really very confused. Hubby says he will support me whatever but 8yr old overheard us and keeps saying he wants to go in Jan as planned.
Laura x
Laura never feel bad about turning down a job, no matter how nice they are at an interview. I have been to interviews where they have been super nice and things have changed toot sweet once the old 'politics' start.

Im not saying that this job would be like that I am just saying don't feel bad about turning it down.

You are getting cold feet and its normal, but I do think it is worth a shot. Experience gained in another country can be exceedingly valuable and a credit that will look excellent on your CV. It shows a confident person not afraid to step out and use their qualification.

It is entirely up to you but I wouldn't cancel Australia on the basis of that one job. You will no doubt have many other excellent offers and employers that will jump at the chance of employing you.

If it was me, I would give Australia a chance because you never know what the future might bring.

Old Dec 10th 2007, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

loolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really niceloolaa1909 is just really nice

Thanks for the replies so far.
I know you are right and hopefully the visa will come through soon but what if they turn around at the last minute and say sorry nope not having one. Part of me wants to keep the job here as a security blanket but I know that isn't fair on the UK hospital.
Why does everything have to be so bloody complicated!
Happy Christmas, bah humbug!
Laura x
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Laura x
Hi Laura, I think it is normal to feel confused. I am committed 100% to moving to Oz but some days I doubt myself and question if is should do it or not. I only qualified two years ago as a midwife and i can remember what it feels like when you first become registered. It may seem easier going to work in a UK hospital when you first start out as a midwife but i still felt nervous when i started out and that was in the hospital i trained in. Your education has prepared you for your job and you passed a very hard course so you have the skills and knowledge in place which can be used in any hospital.

Try and think about what first made you want to move to OZ and focus on these reasons. If you want to PM me and talk over anything feel free you know how us midwives like to chat
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Take the job as an "in case" scenario and if the visa comes through you can resign. People resign all the time within a short time of taking a job for all sorts of reasons.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:30 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

my two pennies worth!

turn down the job in the UK the unsuccessful people will be biting your hand off!!
Oz won't be long and really it is just fear of the unknown which is holding you back, which is understandable, be brave and bold like you were when you made the original decision
Old Dec 11th 2007, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would take the job and deal with the visa issue if and when it comes. A bird in the hand as they say.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 5:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to your thought process, you should be aware of the issues involved with the 457 visa:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/457_Visa_Restrictions

One option, which may or may not be for you, is to get your U.K. work experience and if you still feel that Australia is for you, apply for a permanent visa?
Old Dec 11th 2007, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Smilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really nice

Laura x
Hi Loolaa

Had to reply because we went through nearly the same thought process as yourself. My o/h is a newbie midwife and we were going to Brisbane on 457, she had a job and we had done all the meds etc.

However with the 457 there is no safety net and the fall out should something go wrong would be bad. As temp residents we would have had to pay for med insure etc and we would not buy a house or property until we had permanent resident status. Many landlords in Brisbane had seen an opportunity (Greed) and the rents were shooting up.

At that time the water restrictions really started to come into force and the thought of taking the childen (2) to what is really a drought area didnt sit well with me.

Wife is now in permanent f/t midwife post and is like a pig in s*** she is doing her first year here then we will applying to go out on a Permanent Visa after her first year in practice and hopefully the water situation would have resolved itself.

We are still very very hopeful of one day living and working in Australia as I have had the bug for many years but when we go we want it to be forever and therefore must make sure that everything is well thought out and considered.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

mistyxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smilz
Hi Loolaa

Had to reply because we went through nearly the same thought process as yourself. My o/h is a newbie midwife and we were going to Brisbane on 457, she had a job and we had done all the meds etc.

However with the 457 there is no safety net and the fall out should something go wrong would be bad. As temp residents we would have had to pay for med insure etc and we would not buy a house or property until we had permanent resident status. Many landlords in Brisbane had seen an opportunity (Greed) and the rents were shooting up.

At that time the water restrictions really started to come into force and the thought of taking the childen (2) to what is really a drought area didnt sit well with me.

Wife is now in permanent f/t midwife post and is like a pig in s*** she is doing her first year here then we will applying to go out on a Permanent Visa after her first year in practice and hopefully the water situation would have resolved itself.

We are still very very hopeful of one day living and working in Australia as I have had the bug for many years but when we go we want it to be forever and therefore must make sure that everything is well thought out and considered.
i just wanted to say dont worry to much about the water restrictions just means 4 minute showers and a roaster on when you can water the garden if you want to stuff like that. i also saw on here were you can get a tank installed to collect rain water its then filtered and can be used for showers etc ill try and get the information on that if your interested certainly something im interested in
Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Come to Tassie! We have Water
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Just to add to your thought process, you should be aware of the issues involved with the 457 visa:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/457_Visa_Restrictions

One option, which may or may not be for you, is to get your U.K. work experience and if you still feel that Australia is for you, apply for a permanent visa?
please, please listen to this advice, the amount of unhappy 457ers (as their called here), whom i have met and are dreadfully unhappy where they work (coz they are being used and abused and worked into the ground), is a sizeable amount of the nursing workforce
Old Dec 12th 2007, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teabag
Come to Tassie! We have Water

And lots of it.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 2:37 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret3
please, please listen to this advice, the amount of unhappy 457ers (as their called here), whom i have met and are dreadfully unhappy where they work (coz they are being used and abused and worked into the ground), is a sizeable amount of the nursing workforce
I can see how this could happen - the 457 does tie you in to an employer. It is you that is being sponsored, and not your husband isn't it? If possible try to get your future employer to state in writing that they will support you through PR, or apply for it yourself.

It is possible to buy a house on a temp visa but you do have to apply for consent through FIRB first, well that's the case in Queensland anyway.

It depends really on whether you see a move to Oz as getting a good bit of OE life experience, or a permanent move. It doesn't have to be for life and who knows where it will lead you in the future?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.