Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Confused about NSW car insurance

Confused about NSW car insurance

Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light
Default Confused about NSW car insurance

OK so I gather that I definitely need CTP Greenslip Insurance but presumably I'm not covered against theft or my own damage. So will the combination of CTP Greenslip and Third Party Fire and Theft do it or will I need to get CTP Greenslip and fully comp? It's all getting very expensive.

Very confused. Feel like I'm buying multiple policies for the same car that all pretty much do the same thing.

Any help appreciated.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:50 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused about NSW car insurance

You have to have the CTP which is why it's included in the Rego. You 'can' just have that but it would be madness imo. Comprehensive will cover you and your car and if you include it, then rental whilst yours is off the road etc. Whilst it doubles up for 'most' people, CTP does mean that if some toerag smacks into you and their rego is up to date you will be covered.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 1:05 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Close but not quite.

Compulsory Third Party covers injury and death to other people caused by you as a driver. If you get in an accident that's your fault and you injure someone, the CTP policy will cover your liability (apart from any excess, if there is one, I don't remember). But CTP does not cover damage to third party property. So if you're at fault and you smash into someone's car, you personally will still have to pay for their car (and the car they smashed into, and the shop window that was broken, and the lamppost that was knocked over...).

CTP doesn't cover any loss you suffer if the accident is your fault - your car wrecked? Tough. You're out of work? Bof.

CTP isn't included in rego. You need to have a valid CTP policy to get and retain rego (just like in the UK and tax disc). Rego and CTP are bought from different people and can have different validity periods.

If you choose to buy an insurance policy that isn't required by law (i.e. either Comprehensive or Third Party Property/Fire/Theft), you're not paying twice for the same thing because the second policy doesn't cover Third Party Death & Injury - your original Green Slip/CTP does. IMHO, you should buy more than CTP. Some guy reversed into my car and it caused $4000 of damage to property which CTP wouldn't have covered (he was at fault and I didn't have to pay but that's another story).

Whether you choose Comprehensive or TPPFT depends on whether you want the extra coverage of Comprehensive - but for most people the price difference isn't big between the two. Sometimes Comprehensive will actually be cheaper. Whether car rental is included or not depends on the policy.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

I have taken out fully comprehensive as its not worth not having it in place i have not been involved in any accident yet but that doesnt mean it wont happen one day, its like some things you either take the risk and not bother but i would rather not and to me yes it can be expensive but i like the security it gives me

Last edited by LINZI; Aug 15th 2010 at 1:28 am.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 5:04 am

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

D'oh! Should have made the following point clearer even though by now it's probably obvious: you have to buy CTP whatever happens and it's a separate policy from Comprehensive/TPPF&T. That is to say, unlike in the UK, if you go out in NSW and buy a Comprehensive policy, it won't include the CTP element. So most people will have two separate policies for the same car: CTP and Comprehensive.

You can get CTP quotes from all CTP issuers at once from here: http://prices.maa.nsw.gov.au/index.html
Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:38 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

15c a litre on the price of petrol and use that as CTP - no-one would get away without paying for it.

Too simple.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Rego and CTP are bought from different people and can have different validity periods.
Not in QLD though. We pay for them both to the Dept of Motor Transport at rego time. Same expiry date.

But everything else is 100%.

Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wol
15c a litre on the price of petrol and use that as CTP - no-one would get away without paying for it.

Too simple.
As you say, too simple. No politician will entertain such a simple and fair process....

Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not in QLD though. We pay for them both to the Dept of Motor Transport at rego time. Same expiry date.

But everything else is 100%.
This is a thread about NSW. What Banana Benders get up to is not the concern of any civilised person.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:02 pm
ABCDiamond

This is a thread about NSW. What Banana Benders get up to is not the concern of any civilised person.
Good point I didn't see the NSW bit

Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:42 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

Too simple.
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
As you say, too simple. No politician will entertain such a simple and fair process....

Agreed. <sigh>

S
Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol

Too simple.
Complete agreement. It would also encourage people to get more fuel efficient vehicles. It might also encourage public transport use.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Aug 15th 2010 at 11:51 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 12:08 am

I'm going to disagree with that (just for the sake of it). Spreading the risk of CTP among all drivers through a levy on fuel just means that the risky drivers and the safe drivers end up paying the same amount (km by km).

But on the other hand, I suppose it means that people that clock up a billion kms a year pay more than Mrs Miggins that just drives to the mosque and back once a week, and that's only fair because the big driver is more likely to injure someone. And at least it can't be easily dodged.

But I think there might be a constitutional problem because States can't impose duties or excise on goods which makes this impossible anyway. But then again, didn't they do this before?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 1:07 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to disagree with that (just for the sake of it). Spreading the risk of CTP among all drivers through a levy on fuel just means that the risky drivers and the safe drivers end up paying the same amount (km by km).

But on the other hand, I suppose it means that people that clock up a billion kms a year pay more than Mrs Miggins that just drives to the mosque and back once a week, and that's only fair because the big driver is more likely to injure someone. And at least it can't be easily dodged.

But I think there might be a constitutional problem because States can't impose duties or excise on goods which makes this impossible anyway. But then again, didn't they do this before?
It may be different in NSW but in Vic you don't pay more or less CTP on driver risk.

The constitutional problem could be overcome. I've not heard of it being tried before.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Aug 16th 2010 at 1:10 am.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 1:25 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
It may be different in NSW but in Vic you don't pay more or less CTP on driver risk.

The constitutional problem could be overcome. I've not heard of it being tried before.

Yet you do end up paying different amounts depending on where the vehicle is garaged overnight. Surely if it's just a policy to protect the innocent who may be involved in an accident you cause, this doesn't matter? You are unlikely to be responsible for an accident when the car is parked outside your house overnight?

It's stuff like this that I don't understand about CTP.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.