Wikiposts

Concerned Brits

Old Apr 2nd 2005, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Concerned Brits

Originally Posted by aussie73
l think you should only immigrate to OZ if you can satisfy these 3 criteria:

(1) You have actually been to OZ before and from your experience down there you believe you will have a much better lifestyle down there.

(2) You have researched the OZ employment market and you are confident that with your skills, experience, education and qualifications you can not only gain employment but earn a sufficient wage to live a reasonably good lifestlyle.

(3) You are sure that you are not going to suffer from serious homesickness for the friends and family you have left behind or for Britain itself.
To be honest i think those 3 criteria's should be on the dimia web site,ive not made the move as yet,but ive moved around the world a fair bit,and followed, as much as possible those guildlines.

our situation is...we only have two good friends in the UK all other are "Black & Deckers" workmates.
never really see the rellies,most have said its up to us.. so that looks after C3.
C1 done that ...great
C2 been working on for years now to give it a go
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 12:48 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Hi Hevs,

All excellent points. In the three weeks that Mr GG and I have been here, we've already gone through $5,000. And there's only me and 'im! Hotel costs when you first arrive, eating out every night while you find somewhere to rent, hiring a car to explore your new surroundings and check out where you want to rent, house deposit, first month's rent, connection fees, mobile costs, buying a new fridge (rental places here don't come with them), laundry bills (whilst waiting for the shipment to arrive from Blighty that contains the washer), buying camping chairs to sit on (whilst waiting for shipment again), buying basic kitchen ware (the cheapest, nastiest crud from Ikea - how I yearn for the day I can ceremonially dump that rubbish in the bin!), time spent in t'internet cafes applying for work (currently about $25 per day on this alone), restocking the pantry and fridge (cause you're not shipping so much as a peppercorn, so everything has to be bought), cleaning materials (easy to spend a fortune here! Especially as you have no hoover and you have to buy a mop and brush!) ... The list is endless. And this is only the essential stuff! Money spent on day trips or doing touristy things, money spent on nights out meeting new people etc. The fun stuff aint cheap either!

But the financial side is easy enough. There's the emotional and social side of things to consider too. The arguments that you have about nothing and everything, because you're stressed out, frustrated and missing loved ones. They're loads of fun!

I guess the higher your expectations of a place are, the further you have to fall. Assume the worst and the good bits are all the more of a bonus then. Know that it will be hard work and decide whether you want to put yourself and your family through it. But if you're committed, you can make anything happen.

Good luck,
GG
I think this and what Hevs has said should be on the DIMA website too, it is mind blowing the money it costs for the little things hey

GG, I can't remember but I think the libraries over there do cheap/free internet access, maybe worth a peak to help with moeny saving.

M

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 11:06 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
I think this and what Hevs has said should be on the DIMA website too, it is mind blowing the money it costs for the little things hey
Some more for the list, driving licence, licence fees for trades (if applicable) new appliences cos our toaster and microwave did not like the power over here internet connection fees and modem. Stamp duties on new cars and on insurance, mobile phone package (had to be PAYG cos no work)

The list is really endless...

Do you think i've covered everthing yet anyone????
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 2:31 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Stamp duties on new cars and on insurance, mobile phone package (had to be PAYG cos no work)

The list is really endless...

Do you think i've covered everthing yet anyone????

And on used cars.... I though my father in law was having a laugh with me when I first got to australia and he said I'd have to pay stamp duty for a second hand car
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 7:05 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ
And on used cars.... I though my father in law was having a laugh with me when I first got to australia and he said I'd have to pay stamp duty for a second hand car
Good point forgot that one!!
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 11:41 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NEILL & SHARON MILLS
Hi everyone out there,
We are a family that are looking to move out to Australia, and should recieve our visa's this year sometime. I was just a little concerned of some of the threads i have read regarding Australia, stating that the standard of living is lower to that of the UK. We like many Brits are moving for a better quality of life for our family, the last thing we want is longer hours and less pay. We are not sure of which area we would like to be in at the moment, after doing some homework we feel that Melbourne or Adelaide maybe better for us, but we are hoping to visit this year to give us a clearer picture. We did notice that many of the Brits have felt very unsettled and cant wait to get home, they have stated that some Australians are difficult to get on with. Can anyone out there ferify this, or is just the small few that struggle to settle.
I am a multi skilled maintenance engineer, also will soon be an electrical inspector for domestic use, does anyone know if there is much need for any of these trades, and are the wages different to that in the uk. Again we are looking for a better life in Australia, can anyone help us to put our mind at ease or are we better staying where we are?
the average oz wage is pretty much the same as the uk. maybe a bit more. but if you want to earn good money you have to work for it just like in the uk.
tradies in cairns where we live will generally work 6 days a week. a sparky will earn around 25 to 35 dollars an hour which will be heaps of money to have a comfortable lifestyle. a nice house with pool in nice suburb will be 350 to 400k. we have sacificed earning good money, thats not why we came here and we have a bigger mortgage here than i had in the uk. but having said that i no longer work 7 days a week or 12 to 14 hour days or am i ever pressured to work overtime. the cities like the uk are more expensive.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 1:55 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by NJJ
That shocked me the first time over in Oz, I did not factor that into the costs.

M

Old Apr 9th 2005, 2:56 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
That shocked me the first time over in Oz, I did not factor that into the costs.

M

takes the piss doesnt it?
Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NJJ
ISTR part of the deal regarding the introduction of GST was that the states would move to abolish a lot of the petty stamp duties and taxes in exchange for a slice of the GST revenues. However, there still is not agreement on when, how much etc: typical as you might expect with pollies and (your) money.