Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Concerned about racism

Concerned about racism

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

betterskierthanthewife will become famous soon enoughbetterskierthanthewife will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Concerned about racism

Originally Posted by MD09
You need to look up the meaning of racism, boy.

For example, stating that I believe Italy has more culture than England is not racist in any shape or form.
I mean how could anyone say that this is racist? "Irish Scots French and Italians have class and English have none".
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Originally Posted by betterskierthanthewife
I mean how could anyone say that this is racist? "Irish Scots French and Italians have class and English have none".
It is a generalisation regarding a particular people, while not "racist" it is still offensive

Last edited by Teabag; Feb 23rd 2007 at 11:51 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

Originally Posted by chmaiden
Hi
we have applied for our 136 visa after visiting Aus last year (drove a motor home from Sydney to Melbourne and had a great time). We are looking at moving to either Melbourne or Brissie (although may have to go to Sydney for a bit for work). However, I am Welsh and my wife has Jamaican parents - I am concerned about the levels racism that we might get.
Anyone else have any problems?
tia
In my experience it depends on where about in a city you live. My gf is asian and she gets quite a few stares (I guess because she is so beautiful ) however there are other areas I am sure either her or I would feel less comfortable walking around, particularly at night.

anyway, good luck!

:-)

Alex
Old Feb 24th 2007, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teabag
It is a generalisation regarding a particular people, while not "racist" it is still offensive
Racism defined as (amongst others):

a generalization of a specific group of people (stereotype);

Wikipedia op cited (in a post above)
Old May 4th 2007, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wmoore
It's got nothing to do with status. And yes, racism has got to be in the perception of 'the giver' to a degree. Ignorance may not be an excuse but surely racism is about intent to discriminate or offend? Look it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

So for me that all suggests that there should be some intent to belittle, upset or harm someone when being 'racist'. All I'm saying is that I do not believe Australians (in general) use those terms in a derogatory or prejudicial way. That's not to say that it's never used that way but in general it isn't.

So in response to the OP - and as I've already said - I don't believe that racism is a real problem here. Of course there are idiots who think and act that way but the majority do not. I don't believe that an Asian, African or Jamaican will suffer from racism any more than they would in the UK.

Hi there. just wanted to say i have read your other posts here in this thread .... ...well said!!

OBTW...i am ....a true blue Aussie~...and LOVE it!!...welcome to australia...we need more people like you!!...