Reload this Page >

computers on aircraft

computers on aircraft

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough
Default computers on aircraft

Hi all

Am flying Singapore airlines 2 weeks to day and want to take a computer (non laptop) on the plane (in the hold). Does anyone know if there are any issues with this or if it is likely to get damaged in transit.

Thanks

Mr Iggy
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you pack it well!!!! My computer came over by airfreight, good as new. However, on one of those relocation programmes I watched in the UK a couple moved to Spain and packed their printer in a soft topped suitcase.......then wondered why it ended up in pieces.:scared:

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 3rd 2004 at 9:42 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough

Thanks Pol

Why didn't that couple in spain just chuck the printer away and save the money!!

Thanks

Mr Iggy
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:53 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Goodness knows - I just remember shaking my head in disbelief as the guy took the printer out of the case, and announced he now had no way of making a living as he worked as a website designer and needed the printer for work.....hope his websites work better than his common sense does!

My pc, printer and all, was packed into a large strong cardboard box, the base of which was fastened to a wooden pallet. That way it could only be moved one way up, and had better protection. Whether just taking it in the hold of a passenger plane would be as safe, I doubt - the weight of the packing would make it pricey.I'd get Excess Baggage or someone to pack and air freight it for you.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: computers on aircraft

Originally posted by igual
Hi all

Am flying Singapore airlines 2 weeks to day and want to take a computer (non laptop) on the plane (in the hold). Does anyone know if there are any issues with this or if it is likely to get damaged in transit.

Thanks

Mr Iggy
As Pollyana says, pack it very very well. I've never done that myself...

A couple of years ago, I brought my computer (a fairly thin one, just twice the thickness of my laptop) without the monitor, and my laptop from Hong Kong to Melbourne, and then Melbourne to Glasgow, as hand luggage. Didn't check them in as I thought it would've been too big a risk. They were quite heavy but the airlines didn't give me any hassle for the extra carryon baggage. Oh, my back was in pain, needless to say...

I also have a friend in the US who used to work for Oracle and he always had 3 or 4 mini servers as carry-ons whenever he went around the globe for Oralce roadshows. He was using one of those trolley bags to drag them around the airports. :scared:

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 11:01 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Might want to check out the comments on missing baggage on teh "we're in singapore but our bags aren't thread.....
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 11:03 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you take them as hand luggage so you can use them on the flight?
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bridiej
Can you take them as hand luggage so you can use them on the flight?
You can use your laptop on the flight for as long as the battery will last, or if you're lucky there are power points on business class seats in some aircraft.

Mrs JTL
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by igual
Hi all

Thanks

Mr Iggy
No offence to any baggage handlers, but anyone who has ever watched the holds being loaded and unloaded will have winced more than once as the bags are "eased" into place.

Personally I would not pack a computer into an aircraft hold.

Use a properly designed container....otherwise you're likely to be buying a new computer on the other side.

Just a personal opinion
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 1:14 pm
Home and Happy

Use a properly designed container....otherwise you're likely to be buying a new computer on the other side.
I would agree with you Stewie, have been trying to think how mine was packed, and I think the box actually had wooden struts in all four corners, though the sides were cardboard. I was quite worried about shipping it, but it arrived in perfect condition, and worked at once. Its the only bit of praise I will allow that poxy removal firm, they did do a good job with the computer. ...... though there may be something in the fact that it arrived here while I was still in the UK and able to go round and break their legs if it got damaged.....:scared:
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Pollyana
I would agree with you Stewie, have been trying to think how mine was packed, and I think the box actually had wooden struts in all four corners, though the sides were cardboard. I was quite worried about shipping it, but it arrived in perfect condition, and worked at once. Its the only bit of praise I will allow that poxy removal firm, they did do a good job with the computer. ...... though there may be something in the fact that it arrived here while I was still in the UK and able to go round and break their legs if it got damaged.....:scared:
Hi Pollyana
I don't wish to hijack this thread, but are you able to tell us which shipping company you wern't happy with?
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 1:55 pm
Home and Happy

Hi Stewie,
Groans from the rest of the audience, but I'll name and shame as often as possible!
Do a search for ***** ********, they did my actual shipping, having been subcontracted in without my knowledge - I was told the removal firm did it all. I basically suffered from being fed false info about boxes being lost, had no idea when/where my stuff was, and couldn't get anyone at the company to talk to me.
The removal firm themselves were called ALS, and are based in Hove (Sussex) - good at the flannel, reasonable price, lousy at the actual nitty gritty of the job. The only thing they got right was the airfreighted computer - that didn't go near ***** ******** thank goodness.
Ended up sending me abusive e-mails becuse I wrote and politely said I'd like to know where my goods were as they were all precious possessions. They told me "Theres no need to get emotional, you are only moving house".......I think that was the day the Bloke threatened to get on a plane, fly to England, and deck the lot of them!!!
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 7:23 pm
Monkey

In article <[email protected]>,
member23190@british_expats.com (igual) wrote:

>
    > Hi all
    >
    > Am flying Singapore airlines 2 weeks to day and want to take a
    > computer (non laptop) on the plane (in the hold). Does anyone know if
    > there are any issues with this or if it is likely to get damaged in
    > transit.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mr Iggy
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >

I guess it depends on the airline but AirNZ say electronic components such
as hard drives can not be packed as hold baggage.

I'm going to take my laptop and the drive from the server in my hand
luggage then either get the case and bits shipped or just buy a new one
over there.

Paul

Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Pollyana
Hi Stewie,

Do a search for ***** ********, they did my actual shipping,
Pollyana
Thanks. Nuff said