computers

Old Oct 7th 2004, 8:31 am
Just Joined

ergoman28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question computers

we are moving to new zealand and would like to know if its worth taking a new computer with us or selling it and buying one when we get there.
any ideas please as we can not find info on pcs and have had conflicting stories.
thanks
Old Oct 7th 2004, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Sydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really nice
Default Re: computers

We leave for the Sunshine Coast on the 24th Oct. We have shipped our PC but i have purchased a laptop for use now and when we arrive. I have got it on a global cash back scheme where i will receive most of the VAT back when we leave from Heathrow. You get about 14.5 % back, they take a cut for admin.
Searching Singapore airport and on Google Australia i couldn't find a fantastic saving and i've got the use now.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 9:26 am
Just Joined

ergoman28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: computers

Originally Posted by Sydney The Dog
We leave for the Sunshine Coast on the 24th Oct. We have shipped our PC but i have purchased a laptop for use now and when we arrive. I have got it on a global cash back scheme where i will receive most of the VAT back when we leave from Heathrow. You get about 14.5 % back, they take a cut for admin.
Searching Singapore airport and on Google Australia i couldn't find a fantastic saving and i've got the use now.
thanx for that everyone seems to talk about tv s and white goods but the computer did seem to get mentioned. not long to wait then,enjoy the sunshine and good luck
Old Oct 7th 2004, 9:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ergoman28
we are moving to new zealand and would like to know if its worth taking a new computer with us or selling it and buying one when we get there.
any ideas please as we can not find info on pcs and have had conflicting stories.
thanks
I brought mine to Oz, works perfectly (fingers crossed so i don't jinx it) and it meant I didn't have to spend time trying to look for a good deal when I got here.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 9:59 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Smile Re: computers

Originally Posted by ergoman28
Computers are much the same worldwide, parts and repairs should be no problem. As I said ... just change the plug and away you go!
Take it with you! All you'll need to do is change the plug (or use an adaptor).

The reasons for not taking whitegoods are very different:
  • size versus cost of shipping or replacing - the latter wins;
  • spare parts/repairs/selling off as second hand - a lot of manufacturers or models are different therefore hard to repair; and, when you want to upgrade, no-one will buy a second hand appliance of an unknown (UK) type, therefore you're better off buying whitegoods in Australia.
Computers are much the same worldwide, parts and repairs should be no problem. As I said ... just change the plug and away you go!

Last edited by ProofReader; Oct 7th 2004 at 4:22 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 10:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProofReader

Or spend a few dollars on a plug adaptor.

Even if you were going between the UK and North America, where voltage is different, most power supplies on a PC have a switch to alter the voltage. Not an issue when going between the UK and NZ.

Jeremy