Computers

Old Jan 13th 2003, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice
Default Computers

Heres a question that I havn't seen yet.

I would like to upgrade my computer, should I do it now or if and when I get down under.
Are they as advanced as us or do they still use pen and paper?
No just kidding, but seriously can I go out and buy all the bits I need to upgrade or even build anew, I don't like ready built units they use all the cheap bits that screw up.

Is it worth taking mine with me? I guess it would work as other electrical items do, help.

The thing is I guess I need an excuse to build a new PC and have all the new goodies inside.
Old Jan 13th 2003, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Computers

Originally posted by Whingin Pom
Heres a question that I havn't seen yet.

I would like to upgrade my computer, should I do it now or if and when I get down under.
Are they as advanced as us or do they still use pen and paper?
No just kidding, but seriously can I go out and buy all the bits I need to upgrade or even build anew, I don't like ready built units they use all the cheap bits that screw up.

Is it worth taking mine with me? I guess it would work as other electrical items do, help.

The thing is I guess I need an excuse to build a new PC and have all the new goodies inside.
Guess it depends where you are going to be living, if in one of the larger cities, then you should have no problem buying equipment by dropping into a shop. I found Melbourne to be great for buying bits, lots of equipment, lots of computer shops. I did however find it an advantage buying some bits for my Mac in the states by mail and paying the import tax, for some reason, it still worked out cheaper.

Additional problem of building in the UK and shipping is – additional storage needed, additional transport cost and additional insurance and then at the end of it, it could have suffered during the journey, I know how temperamental PCs can be.

Why not have a look at costs online and then see what you could get for your money after converting your UK pounds to dollars. It might work out cheaper (and be good for the local Aussie economy )

Joe
Old Jan 13th 2003, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

It depends where you are going from and too. Sydney with 3.5 Million people may have less demand for computer parts than London but a lot more than say Carlisle.