Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Computer shops in Oz

Computer shops in Oz

Old Jun 6th 2004, 9:48 am
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about
Default Computer shops in Oz

Hi,

I'm wondering whether I should take my computer with me to Oz. I mean, I know that it's supposed to work just fine, but I'm wondering whether I should buy a new one once I get there since my current one is already 4 years old.

Does anybody know of any good computer shops with a web-site where I could check the prizes? Preferably shops which also sell all the separate components...

Cheers,
Sander
Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:04 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Computer shops in Oz

I-Tech have on line prices

Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:15 am
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

You could also try:

www.dell.com.au
Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:19 am
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at those web-sites!

If anybody knows of any more web-sites / shops, I'd be happy to hear about it
Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:25 am
ABCDiamond

Sander
Your old one WILL work just as well as it did in the UK, subject to bumps and bangs on the journey

I brought over all my components, and rebuilt in a new case here, and that was all OK. All I needed was a new modem, and I went with a USB one for ease.

However, 4 years old ? Maybe worth considering an update when you get here ?

Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:36 am
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Computer shops in Oz

Originally posted by Sander

Does anybody know of any good computer shops with a web-site where I could check the prizes? Preferably shops which also sell all the separate components...
Check out www.encoresystems.com.au they sell ex-leased computers VERY cheap and although they are based in Melbourne they can ship anywhere in Oz overnight.
S.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:42 am
f1junkie

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Sander
Your old one WILL work just as well as it did in the UK, subject to bumps and bangs on the journey

I brought over all my components, and rebuilt in a new case here, and that was all OK. All I needed was a new modem, and I went with a USB one for ease.

However, 4 years old ? Maybe worth considering an update when you get here ?
Yeah, I know it will work just as well of course...however currently it's working in the Netherlands and not the UK

The thing is...I'd like some new bits and pieces, faster etc...
It's a p3 500 mhz, 512 mb, 13 GB, Geforce 2 MX400 32 mb...so it's nothing fancy (anymore). However, it's enough for what I need to do on it...internet, uni-stuff, programming, whatever. So I could always bring it or the components over.
I don't play any computer-games really...so it's not like I need the fanciest videocard. But still...it would be nice to have something a little better.

I like my monitor though...it's an iiyama VM pro 410, so no TFT but CRT. But the bloody thing weighs 20 kilos...maybe I could ship that with the rest of my stuff.

How did you bring your components? Pack 'em in a suitcase or something? What about the hard-disk...did it survive?
Old Jun 6th 2004, 11:01 am
ABCDiamond

I didn't notice the NL bit I took the bits and built one there aswell

For Aus, I put all the bits in a notebook carry bag, (cabin Baggage), packed well with bubble wrap, and yes, all 3 hard drives survived OK.

Not sure about the monitor, if you do bring it, send it in the container! Otherwise delivery cost be be over the top for it.

Old Jun 6th 2004, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Try www.it-rite.com

Also www.ebay.com.au

my husband has bought quite a bit from ebay out here with no probs. it-rite is good for buying seperate bits and peices too.

we set ourselves up with decent Dell laptops before we came out here as they travel a bit better. Two years later our house has various 'home built' computers made up of bits a pieces from the above websites.

I still use my laptop though (using it now) as you can't fit a desktop system on your lap and browse the internet in a comfy chair whilst watching t.v!!

Mandy