Reload this Page >

Computer Compatibility

Computer Compatibility

Old Jun 26th 2004, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Ratman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Computer Compatibility

Hi,
Are there any reasons why a computer brought in the UK would not work in OZ??

Also minotors, KVM's, etc

Please advise
Old Jun 26th 2004, 10:18 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Computer Compatibility

Originally posted by Ratman
Hi,

Please advise

No Probs with Computers.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

gordys is an unknown quantity at this point

Everything should be fine. Read a couple of threads about Northern vs Southern Hemisphere CRT monitors not working but in general, everyone I've spoken with have had no problems whatsoever.

Originally posted by Ratman
Hi,

Please advise
Old Jun 26th 2004, 2:27 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

It's not a problem but just something to be aware of: Oz keyboards have a different layout from UK ones, being more like US ones (shift-2 is "@", etc). So if you buy a new keyboard there, you'll have to persuade your computer to recognise it properly.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Jcon is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with the other posters, my laptop works fine over here with the printer and USB hub purchased locally - however I can't get my ADSL modem from the UK (from Virgin.net broadband) to work. I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can persuade it to work in Oz or if I do have to buy a new modem as my ISP is telling me?
Old Jun 27th 2004, 11:33 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jcon
Agree with the other posters, my laptop works fine over here with the printer and USB hub purchased locally - however I can't get my ADSL modem from the UK (from Virgin.net broadband) to work. I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can persuade it to work in Oz or if I do have to buy a new modem as my ISP is telling me?

Dammit!

I've just gone in for the Virgin ADSL since they don't tie you in to 12 months and we will be leaving hopefully by summer-end. Due to be activated on the 1st July.

I had assumed that the modem that's coming would be OK in Oz - please can someone give adefinitive answer on that? And what about the filters?

If not - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi

I have seen on some other threads that the internal modem on some laptops will not work and that the owners had to buy external Oz modems.

Is there a particular modem your laptop needs to be equipped with or do they almost all need an external modem?
Old Jun 27th 2004, 5:40 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by gdcollectables
Hi

I have seen on some other threads that the internal modem on some laptops will not work and that the owners had to buy external Oz modems.

Is there a particular modem your laptop needs to be equipped with or do they almost all need an external modem?
I can answer that one!

In my previous life - when I had to earn a living, that is - I made frequent trips down under and often used my laptop with PC card modem.

All you have to have is a compatible phone plug/adapter.

Most hotel phones have a US type extension socket on the bottom/side/back so I used that. The oldfashioned Oz socket is like out of the ark: the size of a mini but I'm sure you can adapt it even if it means stripping the wires and using jumpers. Don't say I said so tho'!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rog Williams
I can answer that one!

In my previous life - when I had to earn a living, that is - I made frequent trips down under and often used my laptop with PC card modem.

All you have to have is a compatible phone plug/adapter.

Most hotel phones have a US type extension socket on the bottom/side/back so I used that. The oldfashioned Oz socket is like out of the ark: the size of a mini but I'm sure you can adapt it even if it means stripping the wires and using jumpers. Don't say I said so tho'!
As Rog has already mentioned the plug/adapter may need to be changed (I think I'm right in saying it's RJ45 in the UK and RJ12 here in Australia). This isn't a problem though - you can get these on the high street.

I had a problem with my dialup modem when I arrived - just couldn't get online. In the end I had to reinstall the driver to properly select Australia as the region I was dialing from. No problem after doing that.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 11:26 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

I've never heard of RJ45 being used to connect telephone land lines. It's a network adapter standard, AFAIK.
Attached Thumbnails Computer Compatibility-rj1145.jpg  
Old Jun 27th 2004, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

I knew I should have left it at...
Originally posted by young_lad
....the plug/adapter may need to be changed...
Old Jun 28th 2004, 12:23 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by young_lad
As Rog has already mentioned the plug/adapter may need to be changed (I think I'm right in saying it's RJ45 in the UK and RJ12 here in Australia). This isn't a problem though - you can get these on the high street.
High street in the UK perhaps. I looked long and hard for an adapter for my British PCMCIA laptop modem in Australia with no luck.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by renth
High street in the UK perhaps. I looked long and hard for an adapter for my British PCMCIA laptop modem in Australia with no luck.
I'll erm....grab me coat...
Old Jun 28th 2004, 6:16 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ulujain
I've never heard of RJ45 being used to connect telephone land lines. It's a network adapter standard, AFAIK.
Can happen but unlikely in a domestic situation. There is a standard for POTS on RJ45 and use it on our sites.

Anyway for those wanting to connect foreign ADSL modems you need to be able to change the VPI and VCI settings. I started with a pile of s*** Alcatel stingray configured for NZ. I had to change the settings in the registry to get it going.

OZ VPI = 8, VCI = 35

For more detail post the make and model.

The filters should work here.

Modems are pretty standard so they should work here.

The issue with CRT monitors is a slow distortion over time rather than a complete failure.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 7:47 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

2Wire HomePortal 1100

My first DSL modem was an Alcatel too. Can't tell you what it is as it's in storage.

POTS in the US uses RJ11 and that's a FCC standard. It's a 6 pin connection whereas US RJ45 uses an 8 pin setup

Does Australia still use that ungodly 610 connector?

This non-standard crap?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.