Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

compulsory retirement age?

compulsory retirement age?

Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

ramlmmjem is on a distinguished road
Default compulsory retirement age?

I'm likely to want to work beyond 65, at least for a couple of years.

Just wondering whether there is a government-determined compulsory retirement age in Australia.

Also, if there is not, do organisations (e.g. Universities) have ages at which they compulsorily retire you? Anyone know?

Thanks

Alistair
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: compulsory retirement age?

Originally Posted by ramlmmjem
I'm likely to want to work beyond 65, at least for a couple of years.

Just wondering whether there is a government-determined compulsory retirement age in Australia.

Also, if there is not, do organisations (e.g. Universities) have ages at which they compulsorily retire you? Anyone know?

Thanks

Alistair
There is no compulsory retirement age. And as the state pension is means tested many people keep working till their 70s-80s.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There is no compulsory retirement age. And as the state pension is means tested many people keep working till their 70s-80s.
Things are really changing on that point, with people staying at work longer than they used to.

An Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) survey found that around 76% of men had retired before 63 and 76% of women had retired before the age of 60.
The average, did so at the age of 58 for men, and 47 for women.

But.... in more recent times, more than a third of older Australian workers now plan to work until they are at least 70, in an astonishing cultural change, reported in February 2009.
An ABS report in November 2008 showed:

Men still in the workforce:
  • 60 % of men aged 60 to 64
  • 29 % of men aged 65 to 69
  • 7% of men 70 and over.

Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can keep on working.
Recently had a teachers paper and it had articles on two teachers who were 70 and still working in high school
Not sure Id want to be around a bunch of teenagers at this age.

Gems
Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

With an aging population, I can see it being compulsory to be employed until you are at least 70 when I get there. have visions of me seeing to patients whilst balancing on my zimmer frame