Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Complete change of plan!!

Wikiposts

Complete change of plan!!

Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:01 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of
Default Re: Complete change of plan!!

Originally Posted by Bag End Bunch
OH seriously stressed at thought of leaving house and not having any capital when we move - he was making himself ill with worry.
I can sympathize with and understand that: I tend to worry about money anytime! Certainly the first couple of weeks here have been a real drain on finances, and there are further expenses that we need to be able to deal with (such as unpredictable customs charges for our stuff when it arrives in December). I do think you're doing the right thing: you have your visa, you'll have time after validation.

Cheers
b
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:56 pm
Finally in Melbourne!

ittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really nice

Originally Posted by mary1967
Maybe it's a bit too soon to comment, we've only been here 2 weeks, but i'm gonna do it anyway!!! Don't forget, this is my experience and we've not been here long.

In the Uk we both had good jobs, a lovely home, 2 cars, kids were in good 'free' schools, they had loads of friends and were completely happy, but i didn't think we had a good quality of life in the UK and thought that we could achieve that and more in Oz.

We're now in a rental, no jobs (hopefully we'll get some soon), kids hate it (and they wanted to come!), and to get the same standard of education we're having to pay private, something i'd not planned on. I've yet to experience the quality of life we came for, but again, we've only just arrived, so it may happen.

Would i have taken the risk if i knew what i do now? NOOOOOOOOOOOO, saying that, I've talked to loads of people since i got here and NOT ONE PERSON has said they'd go back, so maybe my first impression is completely wrong (i hope it is anyway!!) and what we need is time to find our feet and settle down.
Hi Mary
Remember me? We arrived in Melbourne just 7 weeks ago and the first 3 weeks were a nightmare . Things finally slowing down now and we are actually getting time to look around the place and enjoy it. It really does seem to get better with each day for us. There are still times I wonder if we did the right thing but they are becomming less frequent now. We plan to stay for a minimum of four years and hope that by that time we too won't want to move back like everyone you speak to - I really couldn't face the whole thing again!! Still at least that way round we won't have to wait for the visa!!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know how realistic this is (I'm guessing not very due to the fact that no-one else has suggested it!) but is it possible to sign over Power of Attourney to a completely trustworthy person (ie, parents, siblings), then control things via the net/phone (like keeping the pressure on the estate agents and checking on viewings etc) but the final signature on the paper required to exchange could be done by them. At least people are able to go out and be with thieir family whilst their houses are selling and not stuck back here. I'm sure someone will be along to tell me what a dozy tart I am, but it's just a thought.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
Don't know how realistic this is (I'm guessing not very due to the fact that no-one else has suggested it!) but is it possible to sign over Power of Attourney to a completely trustworthy person (ie, parents, siblings), then control things via the net/phone (like keeping the pressure on the estate agents and checking on viewings etc) but the final signature on the paper required to exchange could be done by them. At least people are able to go out and be with thieir family whilst their houses are selling and not stuck back here. I'm sure someone will be along to tell me what a dozy tart I am, but it's just a thought.
you sound like a lovely bakewell tart with a cherry on top
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eugene43
too soon & sounds again like someone has got carried away with the excitement of oz. Ask yourself would you jump over a wall if you did not know what was on the other side without checking first.
Maybe...But hardly helpful and just underlining the obvious.

My original question is : has anyone had second thoughts about the move, did it anyway, and now are happy they've done this!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eugene43
you sound like a lovely bakewell tart with a cherry on top

Ah bless, although I do prefer to think of myself as an Angel Cake (OH would probably say a crumble though!).