Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Processing Time?

Citizenship Processing Time?

Old Oct 11th 2008, 11:32 pm
LCT
Forum Regular

LCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud of
Default Citizenship Processing Time?

Hi all,

I am coming close to the point of being able to apply for citizenship. Just wondered if anyone knows how long it usually takes for your application to be processed (after you have done the test etc)?

Also, am I right in thinking that you need to get a police clearance from the UK? How do you go about that?

Thanks!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:06 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of
Default Re: Citizenship Processing Time?

We did the test last week and put the application in whilst we were there. They said it would take up to 2 weeks.

You may need a UK police check but we didn't. It depends on the length of time between getting your visa and taking up residency. Immigration had all our dates of arrival/departure on their screens so were able to confirm a check wasn't necessary.

Also, applying whilst we were there meant we didn't have to have our photos endorsed by someone who's Aussie, known us 12 months and is of an 'approved' profession. As they said, "you're sat in front of us, we've got your passport and birth certificate, that's proof enough of identity for us". They also take a photo of you whilst you're sat there and scan all the documents.

PM me if you have a query.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on where it is being processed. Our processing place had a 3 month turn around time other people's have taken 2 weeks. We didn't need any police checks as we came over on a temp visa and applied for PR onshore, apparently the checks that we used for PR were fine. We only had to have photos endorsed for the kids.
Good luck.
Nicky
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:10 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LCT
Hi all,

I am coming close to the point of being able to apply for citizenship. Just wondered if anyone knows how long it usually takes for your application to be processed (after you have done the test etc)?

Also, am I right in thinking that you need to get a police clearance from the UK? How do you go about that?

Thanks!
I sat the test last month and submitted the application on the day - as other posters have said if submitting in person there was no need for the signed photograph & that section of the form to be completed.

The approval letter arrived a few days later and was dated the day after the test.

The main wait may be for a place on a citizenship ceremony. Here in Brisbane the next ceremony is not held until Australia Day 2009 - so a long wait, and I'm not sure if a place is even guaranteed on that day.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Took the test on the 16th May, handed the woman my completed application at the same time, got a confirmation six days later, letter offering ceremony a week after that and then had the ceremony on the 25th June. About the fastest I've heard of and was amazed. It definitely depends on when and where you apply.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:31 pm
LCT
Forum Regular

LCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud of

Thanks for your replies. Does anyone have any experience of Sydney processing times and the likely delay before being able to attend a ceremony?

I've booked to do my test but need to stay a bit longer for residency before I can apply.

One other thing, if you get your citizenship and then go back to the UK, can you apply for a passport at the Oz High Commission over there rather than getting it here?
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:21 am
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

Originally Posted by LCT
Thanks for your replies. Does anyone have any experience of Sydney processing times and the likely delay before being able to attend a ceremony?

I've booked to do my test but need to stay a bit longer for residency before I can apply.

One other thing, if you get your citizenship and then go back to the UK, can you apply for a passport at the Oz High Commission over there rather than getting it here?
Have you taken the test yet? If not, then book it NOW as there is a long wait in Sydney. Rang to book ours a couple of weeks ago & earliest date we could get was 8th January. 2.5 months - crazy.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
We did the test last week and put the application in whilst we were there. They said it would take up to 2 weeks.

You may need a UK police check but we didn't. It depends on the length of time between getting your visa and taking up residency. Immigration had all our dates of arrival/departure on their screens so were able to confirm a check wasn't necessary.

Also, applying whilst we were there meant we didn't have to have our photos endorsed by someone who's Aussie, known us 12 months and is of an 'approved' profession. As they said, "you're sat in front of us, we've got your passport and birth certificate, that's proof enough of identity for us". They also take a photo of you whilst you're sat there and scan all the documents.

PM me if you have a query.
Hi there,

Did you have to book to apply whist you were there for the citizenship test. Was the interview done at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

We can apply in March 09. Wondered whether to sit the test now and then submit form on the day we can apply.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LCT

For most people, the process takes somewhere between 3 and 9 months.

Why the urgency? Are you planning to leave permanently?

If so, have you got an Australian spouse or dependent children, or will you be working for an Australian employer?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LCT

My Turkish friend at work applied on 22 October and has his ceremony in the next couple of weeks (can't remember the date now). Sure his application only took a couple of weeks. He applied in Sydney.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:00 am
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by LCT
Hi all,

Thanks!
We submitted our application online on the 20th October. Haven't heard anything yet although I know that the processing fee has been taken from my credit card. We are based in Brisbane. I've heard all the ceremony spaces in Brisbane are full until after Australia day 2009.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

sason is a jewel in the roughsason is a jewel in the roughsason is a jewel in the roughsason is a jewel in the roughsason is a jewel in the rough

Just to let you know, today I booked an appointment for sitting the citizenship test and we have to wait more than two and a half months!... Until 30th Jan 2009. This is for Newcastle, but Sydney was just as long a wait. I thought this was a quick and easy thing you could do anywhere, just pop in and get it done, kind of.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Pardon my ignorance, we were granted our Visa in April 07, validated in October 07 and still awaiting house sale to make final move to Brisbane. As regards citizenship and with the time left on our visas (approximately 3 years), how does that work out with having to be resident for 4 years in Oz and the expiry of our visa?

Will we have to re-apply for a visa to remain in Australia to give us 4 years residency as we are now in our 2nd year of 5 or the fact that we will have lived there for 3 years (fingers crossed) and be pretty much established count for anything?

Lone Ranger
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Pardon my ignorance, we were granted our Visa in April 07, validated in October 07 and still awaiting house sale to make final move to Brisbane. As regards citizenship and with the time left on our visas (approximately 3 years), how does that work out with having to be resident for 4 years in Oz and the expiry of our visa?

Will we have to re-apply for a visa to remain in Australia to give us 4 years residency as we are now in our 2nd year of 5 or the fact that we will have lived there for 3 years (fingers crossed) and be pretty much established count for anything?

Lone Ranger
As long as you remain in Australia your visa remains valid. If you decide to leave Australia for any reason after the expiry date printed on the visa, then you either need to be a citizen, or get yourself a RRV in order to get back in again. http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As long as you remain in Australia your visa remains valid. If you decide to leave Australia for any reason after the expiry date printed on the visa, then you either need to be a citizen, or get yourself a RRV in order to get back in again. http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf
Thanks for clearing that up for me Pollyana.

Lone Ranger