Comparison between Sydney and Darwin

Wikiposts

Comparison between Sydney and Darwin

Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

geraldine2 will become famous soon enough
Default Comparison between Sydney and Darwin

Dear All,

please share your opinion in living in sydney and darwin.

Which is best and why?

Regards

Gerald
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all
Default Re: Comparison between Sydney and Darwin

Originally Posted by geraldine2
Dear All,

please share your opinion in living in sydney and darwin.

Which is best and why?

Regards

Gerald
7 months in Darwin and 9 in Sydney so here's my personal opinion.

Darwin wins hands down.

Sydney is too big, traffics and roads are a nightmare, NSW government transportation policy is non existent. Obviously Sydney has parts where if you can afford to live there then the standard of living is great. However if you are staying somewhere in the Western suburbs then you have very few advantages than living in just about any large 1st world city. Theres a lot of crap spoken, usually from Ozzies who have never left the country, saying Sydney is 1 of the best cities to live in in the world. IMO thats total bullshit. It's not even the 2nd best in Australia. Darwin, Perth....
Sure Sydney Harbour looks great, the nightlife and eating out are excellent. Problem with that is your here to live and work and not on holiday. Opera House becomes mundane after the first couple of views, and its never as white as it seems on postcards and calendars. I think Sydney is great as a holiday destination for a couple of weeks.

Darwin obviously has lots less job opportunties therefore I'd only move there with a secure job offer. There's very little traffic, I used to drive 15k from home to work every day along 1 of the main roads and rarely had to wait in traffic.
It does get quiet during the wet season, backpackers head south and quite a lot of the bars close down. During the dry (May-Oct) the climate is excellent, 30c for days on end and blue skies, its without doubt the best climate I've come across in the country. The build up and wet is a bit different with 100% humdity, 35c and rain most days. However its not as bad as often suggested on here, and if you've lived in Dubai then it would be easy for you.
Shoppings OK, has a few beaches, no swimming in the sea year round, good sport facilities. World class fishing in the harbour ( much larger than Sydney's), laid back lifestyle, NT means not today, not tomorrow, not Tuesday or Thursday. Don't know about education.
If I have a job offer in Darwin again, and the missus would move there, I'd be on the first flight back. I think it's an excellent place to live, hugely underrated on here, which is a good thing actually, you get to live somewhere which isn't mini England.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparison between Sydney and Darwin

Originally Posted by upyerfud
7 months in Darwin and 9 in Sydney so here's my personal opinion.

Darwin wins hands down.

Sydney is too big, traffics and roads are a nightmare, NSW government transportation policy is non existent. Obviously Sydney has parts where if you can afford to live there then the standard of living is great. However if you are staying somewhere in the Western suburbs then you have very few advantages than living in just about any large 1st world city. Theres a lot of crap spoken, usually from Ozzies who have never left the country, saying Sydney is 1 of the best cities to live in in the world. IMO thats total bullshit. It's not even the 2nd best in Australia. Darwin, Perth....
Sure Sydney Harbour looks great, the nightlife and eating out are excellent. Problem with that is your here to live and work and not on holiday. Opera House becomes mundane after the first couple of views, and its never as white as it seems on postcards and calendars. I think Sydney is great as a holiday destination for a couple of weeks.

Darwin obviously has lots less job opportunties therefore I'd only move there with a secure job offer. There's very little traffic, I used to drive 15k from home to work every day along 1 of the main roads and rarely had to wait in traffic.
It does get quiet during the wet season, backpackers head south and quite a lot of the bars close down. During the dry (May-Oct) the climate is excellent, 30c for days on end and blue skies, its without doubt the best climate I've come across in the country. The build up and wet is a bit different with 100% humdity, 35c and rain most days. However its not as bad as often suggested on here, and if you've lived in Dubai then it would be easy for you.
Shoppings OK, has a few beaches, no swimming in the sea year round, good sport facilities. World class fishing in the harbour ( much larger than Sydney's), laid back lifestyle, NT means not today, not tomorrow, not Tuesday or Thursday. Don't know about education.
If I have a job offer in Darwin again, and the missus would move there, I'd be on the first flight back. I think it's an excellent place to live, hugely underrated on here, which is a good thing actually, you get to live somewhere which isn't mini England.

I visited Darwin briefly in June and talked to someone who had spent the first part of his life in Sydney and then moved up there. His comment was much like yours - he wished he'd moved up there years earlier and considered the lifestyle far superior. I must say, I was quite impressed: great climate at that time of year, a compact and busy commercial centre, a cosmopolitan population, proximity to Asia, great natural attractions etc, etc. However, for long-term living I think it would only suit people with an adventurous outlook on life who like the edge of living in a frontier environment. Definately not for everyone. Given the choice I'd opt for a year or two in Darwin over a year or two in Sydney, but that's just me.