Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commuting to Sydney

Commuting to Sydney

Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Commuting to Sydney

Although I may not do it, what's the commute like from the Wollongong area up to Sydney.

I have driven out to Wollongong and back to Sydney when I was there earlier this year but that wasn't in any rush hour and I probably detoured many a wrong road.

Is this something that is 10x worse than the Surrey stretch of the M25?

I could also drive towards Sydney then get a train from a suburb.

Reason for doing this is because of more jobs for me in Sydney but obviously housing is cheaper further out........hopefully wife can work a lot less than what she does now and kids can go to a good school and have mum around a lot more and I can purely focus on the job and not the ferrying of the kids to and from school.

I could perhaps seek out jobs in Wollongong area (but I ask myself why pick the area with most unemployment).......I hear they need number crunchers.

cheers for anyone that can describe such a commute....good or bad.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Commuting to Sydney

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Although I may not do it, what's the commute like from the Wollongong area up to Sydney.

I have driven out to Wollongong and back to Sydney when I was there earlier this year but that wasn't in any rush hour and I probably detoured many a wrong road.

Is this something that is 10x worse than the Surrey stretch of the M25?

I could also drive towards Sydney then get a train from a suburb.

Reason for doing this is because of more jobs for me in Sydney but obviously housing is cheaper further out........hopefully wife can work a lot less than what she does now and kids can go to a good school and have mum around a lot more and I can purely focus on the job and not the ferrying of the kids to and from school.

I could perhaps seek out jobs in Wollongong area (but I ask myself why pick the area with most unemployment).......I hear they need number crunchers.

cheers for anyone that can describe such a commute....good or bad.
Hello, Welcome. Wollongong to Sydney you can do by train.You can also commute by road, easy journey, (easy as in good roads pretty direct, some freeway.) not too sure of rush-hour timing but off-peak about 40-45 mins to city south.
I don't do it myself but I'm sure someone else can advise. Getting into Sydney from anywhere in peak hour is :scared: I don't know much about employment opportunities in W'gong, mostly "blue collar" area traditionally, might have changed in last few years. Better to look in Sydneyfor "white collar" - accountants etc. Easier to commute to airport area(city south) where there's a lot of industrial units and older more established companies, importers and the like, than CBD, I think. Check out www.seek.com.au for jobs, you can search by profession and by area. There must be some Gong-dwellers on here can help you - Anyone????
Old Aug 24th 2005, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commuting to Sydney

Originally Posted by TopCat3
Hello, Welcome. Wollongong to Sydney you can do by train.You can also commute by road, easy journey, (easy as in good roads pretty direct, some freeway.) not too sure of rush-hour timing but off-peak about 40-45 mins to city south.
I don't do it myself but I'm sure someone else can advise. Getting into Sydney from anywhere in peak hour is :scared: I don't know much about employment opportunities in W'gong, mostly "blue collar" area traditionally, might have changed in last few years. Better to look in Sydneyfor "white collar" - accountants etc. Easier to commute to airport area(city south) where there's a lot of industrial units and older more established companies, importers and the like, than CBD, I think. Check out www.seek.com.au for jobs, you can search by profession and by area. There must be some Gong-dwellers on here can help you - Anyone????
Thanks...and bumping up.