Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commuters beware ! Sydney - Illawarra trains are shite

Commuters beware ! Sydney - Illawarra trains are shite

Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Commuters beware ! Sydney - Illawarra trains are shite

I just read that the train journey from Central to Thirroul was actually faster 28 years ago..............so not only is Sydneys train system shite it is actually going backwards......28 years ago it took 75 minutes (which in itself is darned slow and a disgrace.......) and now it takes 10 minutes longer.

OK I know.......use the car..........but have you ever driven that route in a commute?

Gimme the M25 anyday....

From the Illawarra Mercury:

NSW should be aiming for the standard Western Australia has reached with its new line to Mandurah - about the same distance from Perth as Thirroul is from Sydney, Dr Laird said.

A trip on that line takes 48 minutes - is at least 20 minutes faster than driving the same trip - and there are six trains an hour on the line.

At Thirroul, there are an average of two trains an hour, taking about 80 minutes to cover the 70km to Sydney. "We have a transport disadvantage in the region," Dr Laird said.

....disadvantage ???......what an understatement.....I'd say a national disgrace. I concluded it will NEVER get improved through lack of motivation/interest/too many people can't be arsed and would rather be on the beach......
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commuters beware ! Sydney - Illawarra trains are shite

The more I hear, the more I believe that corruption and underhand dealings are at work with any of the State operated industries.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

So what would you solotution be.....

We all whinge about some things but I often wonder what the person complaining would do to find the solotution. Now dont get me wrong I am sure it is frustrating and annoying and I am not slating you. But if you choose to live that far away surely you knew the consequences and also the population now is probably 6 times what it was back then. I live on the Central Coast about 40-50 k from Central and our train takes 1.10 mins on the fast one with only 4 stops. Putting on more trains isnt the answer it would be a track nightmare. so short of knocking down houses and building a new track or maybe triple decker trains. I think the UK had worse trains.

Jo
Old Oct 8th 2008, 5:35 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
I just read that the train journey from Central to Thirroul was actually faster 28 years ago..............so not only is Sydneys train system shite it is actually going backwards......28 years ago it took 75 minutes (which in itself is darned slow and a disgrace.......) and now it takes 10 minutes longer.

OK I know.......use the car..........but have you ever driven that route in a commute?

Gimme the M25 anyday....

From the Illawarra Mercury:

NSW should be aiming for the standard Western Australia has reached with its new line to Mandurah - about the same distance from Perth as Thirroul is from Sydney, Dr Laird said.

A trip on that line takes 48 minutes - is at least 20 minutes faster than driving the same trip - and there are six trains an hour on the line.

At Thirroul, there are an average of two trains an hour, taking about 80 minutes to cover the 70km to Sydney. "We have a transport disadvantage in the region," Dr Laird said.

....disadvantage ???......what an understatement.....I'd say a national disgrace. I concluded it will NEVER get improved through lack of motivation/interest/too many people can't be arsed and would rather be on the beach......

As bad as the new AC/DC rubbish
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:18 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

The rumour is now that the long promised Hills line won't get funded as there are no labour votes in it.

And yep Cityrail is crap and corrupt. The trains stink and heaps have no aircon or heating. For a city that regularly gets 40C days no AC is like a third world country.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 11:10 am
Just Joined

charades has much to be proud ofcharades has much to be proud ofcharades has much to be proud ofcharades has much to be proud ofcharades has much to be proud ofcharades has much to be proud ofcharades has much to be proud ofcharades has much to be proud ofcharades has much to be proud ofcharades has much to be proud ofcharades has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Commuters beware ! Sydney - Illawarra trains are shite

I have to say, I lived in South Sydney for 6 months and worked in North Sydney, which meant getting a train everyday. Now, I understand the Illawarra line is short on trains and all that, but I was never disappointed with the trains I so regularly caught. I've caught the train down to Wollongong numerous times, and I never thought it so bad. Hey, at least CityRail bothered to provide us with those new Oscar trains! Only on two occasions in my daily commute were the Illawarra trains into the city late, every other time they were on time to the minute. However, I do think CityRail needs to extend its capacity in stations such as Town Hall and Wynyard, as they are bursting at the seams with angry commuters.

Sure, CityRail has problems. But compared to the likes of some Rail companies in England, the sheer holding capacities of Sydney trains (two stories!) and their regularity is a damn sight more effective. I try not to give my Aussie friends a reason to call me a whinging pom any more than they need to.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:04 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Its very scenic though from Thirroul to Waterfall.

I say drive to Sutherland - then get a fast train in which takes 20/30 minutes - much easier! I've done the Thirroul to Sydney journey a few times and it is tediously boring, train goes about 10mph most of the way and the aircon only works on the lower decks. Boo Hiss!!!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

And Van Isla is on a distinguished road

I live 35 miles from london. The journey takes 1 hour, not bad you might say. And the cost?... for trains that arrive anytime between 7am - 10am is £27 single. yes thats nearly $80 per day! now whos complaining.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:28 pm
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by joho
So what would you solotution be.....

We all whinge about some things but I often wonder what the person complaining would do to find the solotution. Now dont get me wrong I am sure it is frustrating and annoying and I am not slating you. But if you choose to live that far away surely you knew the consequences and also the population now is probably 6 times what it was back then. I live on the Central Coast about 40-50 k from Central and our train takes 1.10 mins on the fast one with only 4 stops. Putting on more trains isnt the answer it would be a track nightmare. so short of knocking down houses and building a new track or maybe triple decker trains. I think the UK had worse trains.

Jo
I think it is ALL about responsibility

Somebody somewhere is getting paid a salary for results ( well you would hope so) .

The fact that people notice it and comment on it is not a reason to assume responsibility.

There is a fine line between OBSERVATION & CRITICISM and from our experience here in New Zealand the two are very often confused.

Did you ever see that series in the UK, Two Feet On The Ground ?

Without feedback systems in place and an open ear to both positive and negative feedback means there is no channel for potential to grow past the faults.

If anybody’s response to poor service delivery is pointing to somewhere else and saying it’s better than - **** is really a cop-out.

Calling someone a whinging Pom or whatever still doesn’t fix the problem.

Not having a go, just my 5 cents worth
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

It is pretty slow but there are other alternatives... get a motorbike! Then you can breeze past all those queues of cars with a smile on your face...
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

TrentEnd will become famous soon enough

I think the trains in England are terrible because of the absurd cost, but the trains here in Sydney are terrible because of the dirty, filthy carriages and the ridiculously slow speed at which they tend to travel. Also the rail network in Sydney is not particularly comprehensive, depending on where you live. At least it's cheaper than trains back in England though.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:44 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
You left and returned to Nirvana - what skin is it off your nose?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lookin2Oz
I think it is ALL about responsibility

Somebody somewhere is getting paid a salary for results ( well you would hope so) .

The fact that people notice it and comment on it is not a reason to assume responsibility.

There is a fine line between OBSERVATION & CRITICISM and from our experience here in New Zealand the two are very often confused.

Did you ever see that series in the UK, Two Feet On The Ground ?

Without feedback systems in place and an open ear to both positive and negative feedback means there is no channel for potential to grow past the faults.

If anybody’s response to poor service delivery is pointing to somewhere else and saying it’s better than - **** is really a cop-out.

Calling someone a whinging Pom or whatever still doesn’t fix the problem.

Not having a go, just my 5 cents worth
No offence taken But would like to say I didn't call anyone a whinging pomme or anything.

Guess I am a my cup is half full kinda girl

Jo
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:18 am
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by joho
No offence taken But would like to say I didn't call anyone a whinging pomme or anything.

Guess I am a my cup is half full kinda girl

Jo
Hey,

There’s a new one now.

“When the glass is empty you aint going to get anything unless you fill it up again.”

I guess all the big banks were glass half full too but really running on empty !

Cheers
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

I did the train journey from Wollongong to Central 6 times last week.
Took about an hour and half each way and cost $19.20 return.

OK so it might not be the fastest, but look at the terrain ?

And its certainly better than doing it by car every day

I thought it was quite good

Stu

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.