Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commutable distance to Sydney

Commutable distance to Sydney

Old Aug 1st 2011, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Commutable distance to Sydney

Originally Posted by bananalana
Yea thats actually really good...especially considering my commute from right in the city LOL.

The drive takes much longer I am sure LOL
There are parts of the Eastern Suburbs that can take 45-50 minutes too. So heading further out but being near a train station could be wise. But then again I bet the price of property within easy walking distance of the train would be pretty 'expensive' anyway.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:12 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steen1976
There are parts of the Eastern Suburbs that can take 45-50 minutes too. So heading further out but being near a train station could be wise. But then again I bet the price of property within easy walking distance of the train would be pretty 'expensive' anyway.
They do allow us to have cars away from the CBD you know (and parking is free at the station)
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ColonialCousin
Commuted from Wollongong to Martin Place for a good 8 months. Caught the 7:30 express from Wollongong. Central Station at just before 9, Martin Place at 9:15.

17:42 train on the way back got me home by half past seven in the evening.
My husband travelled by car from Dapto, near Wollongong, to The Daily Telegraph office in Surry Hills, Sydney, for 5 years.- working as a casual.
But he left home at 3pm to start his shift at 5pm and usually arrived at his workplace at 4.15-4.30pm and left work at midnight or thereabouts so missed all the rush hour traffic.
I couldn't have done it so admired him for doing this distance 5 days a week (included working Sundays). The drive was horrible in the winter months, especially along the steep Mount Ousley near Wollongong.
And one night he hit a kangaroo sitting in a dip in the road on Princes Highway going through the National Park at about 1am. Didn't see it until it was too late. Made a right mess of the bumper. Cost us $1,000 in repairs.
Understandably, hubby got fed up of the commute. And we got sick of only seeing each other on a Saturday as I worked full-time Monday to Friday. I would be asleep when he got home and he would be asleep when I got up to go to work. Our son was only a toddler then.
We ended up moving to Coffs Harbour, on the mid north coast of NSW - 6 hours north of Sydney - for a better quality of life. Hubby landed a job on the local paper in Coffs Harbour. And now on the move again. Relocating to Perth in a month.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DhakaBoy
How far out one could go but yet commute to CBD everyday? Could you actually reduce your living costs significantly by going that far? Are people commuting from places like Gosford, Newcastle, Wollongong, Nowra, Kiama etc? Is it a worthwhile proposition at all?

Stunned (and disgusted) by Sydney rental prices, I am really looking at all possible alternatives, but can't get out of NSW being state sponsored.
My boss used to commute from Gosford every day I think it was 1.5 hours each way. I don't think he saw much of his family. That's the Australian "Lifestyle" that you hear so much unless you are minted.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:20 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
My boss used to commute from Gosford every day I think it was 1.5 hours each way. I don't think he saw much of his family. That's the Australian "Lifestyle" that you hear so much unless you are minted.
Don't have to be minted to live closer, just less choosey about what you want. Many immigrants assume that they can have a big house with pool and so when its not available they feel hard done by. Be realistic and you will have a great place and a great lifestyle.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paddyo
Don't have to be minted to live closer, just less choosey about what you want. Many immigrants assume that they can have a big house with pool and so when its not available they feel hard done by. Be realistic and you will have a great place and a great lifestyle.
I have a nice place in London and a short commute. Who wants to live in a crap hole suburb with rubbish public transport surrounded by bogans. It's not what I moved over to Sydney for and not what I have in London.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 11:59 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I have a nice place in London and a short commute. Who wants to live in a crap hole suburb with rubbish public transport surrounded by bogans. It's not what I moved over to Sydney for and not what I have in London.
Totally agree, but I have lived in two high end suburbs (Manly and Seaforth) in great homes and I am not 'minted'. My point was to realise that its not all swimming pools and barbies here but still nice if you think objectively.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:02 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy, I'll let you know when the developers over here are on $200k
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Enjoy, I'll let you know when the developers over here are on $200k
Laugh away mate you're the one on a crap salary. You must enjoy just getting by you Aussie battler.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:45 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Laugh away mate you're the one on a crap salary. You must enjoy just getting by you Aussie battler.
My salary is rock bottom but my job satisfaction is ace

Seriously, you wouldn't come back to Oz for less than $200k? For a software developer?!

Some posts define a BE poster and that one told me everything I need to know about you.

You, in short, and to take a quote Ferris Bueller's Day Off, are bullshit.