Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commonwealth Bank & interest payments...dontcha just love it!

Commonwealth Bank & interest payments...dontcha just love it!

Old Jan 8th 2012, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commonwealth Bank & interest payments...dontcha just love it!

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
...yes it is in the banks favour unless a customer intends staying the life of a mortgage ....in a nutshell

1. If it's a variable loan and variances were agreed i.e if interest rates go up, pay more, if interest rates go down, pay less. Then this is what should happen surely? Especially if this did happen and they just decided to change the rules without permission. I think that's a fairly reasonable expectation don't you?

I personally don't care what happens in say 20 years time. What if I change loans due to moving say in 5 years, will my initial sacrifice be worth the small payment reduction on the principle loan in 5 years time? It might be worth me paying over and above in the long term (4 years overall loan reduction by the end of the term) but how many customers really keep a home loan without moving to another bank within the life of a mortgage? The banks know this which is why this arrangement is good for them and good for the custmer (but only if the customer goes the full term - otherwise it's negligable). The reduction in interest over the years due to paying more off the principle loan in small amounts is negligable Vs the benefits to be gained immediatly if economic times are hard

2. My other point is if a fee was added for the benefit of a credit card that wasn't asked for then this fee should be waivered. If a customer didn't ask for it and didn't want it or need it I reckon that's fair don't you?

3. As for going to the ombudsman - the first thing they ask is have you spoken to the bank, which I have So I'm waiting for the bank to get back to me and as a good/ loyal customer I'm expecting the fee to be waivered

So hopefully if this has happened to anyone else it's their choice. Everyone has different circumstances and different requirements.

Just sayin like
seems you have a good case for the banking ombudsman
Trade Practices Act

Unasked for credit cards

Section 63A of the Act prohibits a corporation from sending a credit or debit card to a person unless that person has requested the card in writing or the card is no more than a renewal or replacement of an earlier card.

Unasked for goods and services

Section 64 of the Act prohibits a corporation in trade or commerce from demanding or asserting a right to payment for unsolicited goods or services, unless the corporation has reasonable cause to believe that there is a right to payment.

Last edited by mulben; Jan 8th 2012 at 12:40 am.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

...yes it is in the banks favour unless a customer intends staying the life of a mortgage ....in a nutshell

1. If it's a variable loan and variances were agreed i.e if interest rates go up, pay more, if interest rates go down, pay less. Then this is what should happen surely? Especially if this did happen and they just decided to change the rules without permission. I think that's a fairly reasonable expectation don't you?
The mortgage I had with them never got reduced when the interest rate went down - I had it for 5 years. The interest rate I paid every month went down, but the payment stayed the same - which meant I would have paid the loan off quicker and saved money.

On one occasion I wanted the reduction in payments, so had to ring them and ask for it. You should check your terms and conditions of your loan, as I think you were probably lucky to get the automatic reduction previously as I don't think that is standard practise for them.

I also got a product summary thingy (terms and conditions) sent to me once a year. Any changes they had made were then covered for

I personally don't care what happens in say 20 years time. What if I change loans due to moving say in 5 years, will my initial sacrifice be worth the small payment reduction on the principle loan in 5 years time? It might be worth me paying over and above in the long term (4 years overall loan reduction by the end of the term) but how many customers really keep a home loan without moving to another bank within the life of a mortgage? The banks know this which is why this arrangement is good for them and good for the custmer (but only if the customer goes the full term - otherwise it's negligable). The reduction in interest over the years due to paying more off the principle loan in small amounts is negligable Vs the benefits to be gained immediatly if economic times are hard
By paying over the odds on our mortgage (with just the reductions in interest rates being paid off the mortgage by leaving the loan payments alone) was going to reduce our loan term from 30 years to 16 years...a massive saving of 14 years of payments. We did pay fornightly as well though, so that was an extra months payment a year too

From the way you are coming across in your posts it seems you think that the interest you pay hasn't been reduced, when this is not the case. The payment hasn't been reduced, but the interest has - you are just paying more towards paying off the debt that you were before each month. (maybe I'm reading your posts wrong?)

It's irrelevant to me now though as I left him and he re-mortgaged to pay me my half of the equity. I now rent so pay someone elses mortgage
2. My other point is if a fee was added for the benefit of a credit card that wasn't asked for then this fee should be waivered. If a customer didn't ask for it and didn't want it or need it I reckon that's fair don't you?
Yes, that is wrong of them if that's the case.

I was on an offset mortgage, and part of the package was a credit card (which we never used and destroyed). The product had an annual fee which was waived for the first year - are you sure that's not what's happened?

From their site: http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/...s/compare.aspx

To be eligible for Wealth Package, you must have an initial 'total home lending balance' of at least $150,000 and pay an annual package fee of $350, debited to any Commonwealth Bank transaction account or Commonwealth Bank Credit Card. Wealth Package terms and conditions available on application.

1. Ongoing annual fee waiver is available on one eligible Commonwealth Bank credit card account only while you remain eligible for Wealth Package. Concession applies to Platinum Awards, Gold Awards, Awards, Low Rate, Low Fee Gold, Business Awards, Business Gold Awards and Business Platinum Awards credit cards.

2. One year waiver applies to the annual fee in the first year if you apply for the card at the same time as your home loan. Excludes business liability credit cards, corporate cards and personal liability Business credit cards without Awards.

3. As for going to the ombudsman - the first thing they ask is have you spoken to the bank, which I have So I'm waiting for the bank to get back to me and as a good/ loyal customer I'm expecting the fee to be waivered

So hopefully if this has happened to anyone else it's their choice. Everyone has different circumstances and different requirements.

Just sayin like

I hope you manage to get it all sorted out.

Last edited by Wendy; Jan 8th 2012 at 12:46 am.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 1:20 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I wonder if they did change the rules or actually your contract specifies a minimum payment...when did you take out this mortgage?
They changed the rules and haven't denied it. They used to automatically reduce my payments when IR's were low and increase if high. Now they tell me when it's increased (so i can put more into the account where it's paid from to cover payment) however they admitted they stopped reducing the payment as the rules have changed. They decided to stop reducing payments "unless a customer rings them" whereas before this happened automatically. They haven't disputed they made the rule change without advising first - and that's my issue. As a customer I agreed to one thing and the bank did something else. They shouldn't be allowed to change the rules without me agreeing first - but apparently they think they can

Originally Posted by llanfachreth
Your interest payments are reduced automatically. Just means you continue to pay the sane amount each month but more of your payments go towards repaying your debt. Much better for you.
It's not much better at all. It's only better if you stay for the life of the loan and it's only much better if this suits your circumtances and it's only much better if you (as a customer) have agreed to it

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Piffle.

Over pay say $100 a fortnight and knock x amount of years off your mortgage. In REAL TERMS that $100 is worth more to me now than the saving of a mortgage repayment in 25 years time.
Hallelulya....... Thank you. Finally someone who get's it

Banks play on the long term logic of it all and sell this as an advantage as initially their explanation looks credible The issue is smoke screened by the fact there are many variables which make it not as black and white as it first seems - customers buy into it thinking "ahh well...I guess I gain benefits overall cos it reduces the prime mortgage payments and knocks years off at the end"....when in fact pending certain variables overpayment can be a disadvantage to certain customers who's circumstances change.

Banks are far smarter than that. They tell you "ohh if you pay more off your loan you knock X amount of years off your mortgage" which sounds credible and can be true but not in all circumstances. They aren't in it to reduce the term of your loan or let you pay less overall, they do it to get as much money from you today, which is worth a fraction of its worth in years to come. They also know most people *submit* well before the end of the term of the loan cos the chances of staying the long term are not high (most people move house & banks and therefore they payout the loan which means their few years of overpayment is not as valuable as they first thought as they do not benefit anywhere near as much for finishing the loan early). This means the amount you gain by submitting your loan early is negligable if you don't intend to stay the life of the loan. Which means it's not of benefit to all customers

Overpayment can be of benefit....but not always. It depends on the value to each customer of the overpayment Vs the less interest they pay over the term of the loan as a result of this overpayment. It might be better for a customer to not overpay (and reduce) their loan but instead pay less today and catch up years later when their circumstances improve. There are so many things to take into consideration to decide the pro's and con's.

Anyway my point is not how it works as I understand how my mortgage works and how this fits with my long term plans. My point is i was not told of the changes (the bank must have made the change for my good) and my point is that i thought there might be more of you in the same boat who might benefit from this awareness. There might be some who might not benefit..but then that's your choice based on your circumstances

Anyway....you got it mate
Old Jan 8th 2012, 1:22 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben
seems you have a good case for the banking ombudsman
Trade Practices Act

Unasked for credit cards

Section 63A of the Act prohibits a corporation from sending a credit or debit card to a person unless that person has requested the card in writing or the card is no more than a renewal or replacement of an earlier card.

Unasked for goods and services

Section 64 of the Act prohibits a corporation in trade or commerce from demanding or asserting a right to payment for unsolicited goods or services, unless the corporation has reasonable cause to believe that there is a right to payment.
Thanks mate. This is why I think they will come back and waiver the fee cos she sure didn't sound convincing on the phone that what they did was OK

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Jan 8th 2012 at 1:26 am.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Wendy
The mortgage I had with them never got reduced when the interest rate went down
Mine did, then all of a sudden it stopped which is my point

By paying over the odds on our mortgage (with just the reductions in interest rates being paid off the mortgage by leaving the loan payments alone) was going to reduce our loan term from 30 years to 16 years...a massive saving of 14 years of payments. We did pay fornightly as well though, so that was an extra months payment a year too
So given you submitted your loan earlier (due to splitting up with your OH..sorry about that too mate) did you work out if you benefitted from increasing the loan repayment short term Vs what you had to pay back when you paid out your loan before the end of the term? Would you have benefitted more from paying less initially?

From the way you are coming across in your posts it seems you think that the interest you pay hasn't been reduced, when this is not the case. The payment hasn't been reduced, but the interest has - you are just paying more towards paying off the debt that you were before each month. (maybe I'm reading your posts wrong?)
You are reading my posts wrong or I am not writing them clearly This is not what I think...see the last posts for clarification mate

It's irrelevant to me now though as I left him and he re-mortgaged to pay me my half of the equity. I now rent so pay someone elses mortgage
yeh...sorry about that hon

I hope you manage to get it all sorted out.
Thanks mate
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:39 am

Just to put this thread to bed....

Got an email from the bank. Fee waivered and from now on it will be decreased / increased with rate changes, unless I change this agreement with them. Result

Just goes to show if you can be arsed and you're a good customer they'd rather be sensible then lose yer custom

noice
Old Jan 11th 2012, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Just to put this thread to bed....

Got an email from the bank. Fee waivered and from now on it will be decreased / increased with rate changes, unless I change this agreement with them. Result

Just goes to show if you can be arsed and you're a good customer they'd rather be sensible then lose yer custom

noice
Good work mate