Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

commonwealth bank

Wikiposts

commonwealth bank

Old May 17th 2004, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

its instant access to the account no charge for the debit card and interest is calculated on a daily rate paid monthly

the 3 month term deposit account is at 5.3%

hope this helps

arlene
Old May 17th 2004, 9:39 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by arlene
its instant access to the account no charge for the debit card and interest is calculated on a daily rate paid monthly

the 3 month term deposit account is at 5.3%

hope this helps

arlene
Thanks. I will have another look on their website as they are normally a rip off with monthly charges.
Old May 18th 2004, 6:20 am
The Outback Beast

fogmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Arlene, I've read about the balance of $5k to get the decent interest rate, is this the opening balance or can the account be opened with a smaller amount, cheers
Old May 18th 2004, 6:22 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Make sure you read the small print, I agree with BP the Commonwealth is usually tops when it comes to charges over here.
Old May 18th 2004, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

neil h is an unknown quantity at this point

Be very careful with the commonwealth bank.Like most people who emigrate to oz we opened an account with them,simply because it was very easy to do from the UK.The bank charges are terrible once you get out here and start using their facilities.It can be said that there is no such thing as free banking in Oz,however if you shop around there is certainly a lot better (check out HSBC).
Good Luck
Neil
Old May 18th 2004, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

4% is not a particularly good rate. Once here I'd shop around.

On a term deposit I'd be looking for around 6%, particularly as reading between the lines you have transferred a substantial amount. Anyhting over 100K gets a higher return.

Commonwealth does have swathing charges for everything. But then most banks do. Switch to a CU when you get here is my advice. You'll get all the same service for less cost.

When you say you'll be living off the interest, then please account for the tax on the interest also - in my case thats 47.5% tax on interest.
Old May 18th 2004, 4:32 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I bank with HSBC and have had no charges yet.
(4.75% on accounts over $2000)
I have also opened an ING account (you get $15 at the mo for opening it, bargin!) they pay 5.25% on any amount. It acts like a savings account and you can just transfere money btween your on line bank account and ING at any time you choose. Works for us!
Old May 18th 2004, 4:38 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by hevs
I have also opened an ING account (you get $15 at the mo for opening it, bargin!) they pay 5.25% on any amount. It acts like a savings account and you can just transfere money btween your on line bank account and ING at any time you choose. Works for us!
ING works very well for me as well. They also have a mortgage that looks good value.
Old May 18th 2004, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

SNAP.

We have exactly the same set up as Hevs.

Only one thing to highlight. If you set up an HSBC account before you get to Oz, you won't have a tax file number to quote them so you'll get charged a witholding tax.

Make sure as soon as you get your tax file number to ring them and let them know the number and that you are now a resident of Oz for tax purposes.

Regards
Old May 18th 2004, 4:50 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

J, you cling on

www.ing.com.au

if anyone wants a look:
Old May 18th 2004, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

I reckon we should get some sort of commission from this, but I've done exactly the same. No fees, good rates of interest - simple!
Old May 18th 2004, 4:55 pm
High in the Dandenongs

oh. And there was me thinking that i was being some kind of financial genius
Old May 19th 2004, 6:29 am
Just Joined

elaine.mrml is an unknown quantity at this point

Hevs

We are heading for Cairns and as far as we know there is no HSBC there. Will this matter?

Elaine
Old May 19th 2004, 6:48 am
Just Joined

elaine.mrml is an unknown quantity at this point

Hevs

We are heading for Cairns and as far as we know there is no HSBC there. Will this matter?

Elaine
Old May 19th 2004, 5:27 pm
High in the Dandenongs

opening the account might be tricky, unless you do it from the uk.
All other transactions can be DONE AT THE POST OFFICE!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.