Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commonwealth Bank

Commonwealth Bank

Old Jul 15th 2003, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Richard & Lisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Commonwealth Bank

Has anyone on this site, opened an account in Australia with the Commonwealth Bank, whilst still living in the UK?. I have tried to do so by filling in an e-mail request form, that was 2 weeks ago and they still havent got back to me. I have a copy of Australian Outlook, and on the back there`s an advert for the Commonwealth Bank, theres a helpline charged at £1 per min, but I was hoping there would be a cheaper alternative. Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

Originally posted by Richard & Lisa
Has anyone on this site, opened an account in Australia with the Commonwealth Bank, whilst still living in the UK?. I have tried to do so by filling in an e-mail request form, that was 2 weeks ago and they still havent got back to me. I have a copy of Australian Outlook, and on the back there`s an advert for the Commonwealth Bank, theres a helpline charged at £1 per min, but I was hoping there would be a cheaper alternative. Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated.

You can open up the account here in London and your account will be waiting for you when you arrive in Oz. Just call the migrant banking service in London, I haven't got the number on hand, but I'll PM you. You can also e-mail them on [email protected]

Just request a migrant banking pack.

HTH
Hazel.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Give them a ring on 0207 710 3990 and ask for the migrant banking services pack.

Mike.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Wendy&Mike
Give them a ring on 0207 710 3990 and ask for the migrant banking services pack.

Mike.

Thanks Wendy&MIke, just phoned and the packs on it`s way.

Good luck for the future.

Rich
Old Jul 15th 2003, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Commonwealth Bank

Originally posted by Rudy
You can open up the account here in London and your account will be waiting for you when you arrive in Oz. Just call the migrant banking service in London, I haven't got the number on hand, but I'll PM you. You can also e-mail them on [email protected]

Just request a migrant banking pack.

HTH
Hazel.
Thanks Rudy,

Rich
Old Jul 20th 2003, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

My advice - Only go with Commonwealth if you really have to. They charge like wounded bulls. If opening an account with them or ANZ or NAB is the only way you can get your money here, close the account as soon as you get here and open a credit union account. You will pay far less in fees.
Old Jul 20th 2003, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Commonwealth Bank

hi have only just joined a moment ago after reading your message.our family are moving to brisbane in november and my hubby has opened an account with the commonwealth bank in brisbane.i don't think he had any problems,we have been moving money over the last few weeks very successfully.he's not here at the moment but i can get him to send you an e-mail if it will help.look forward to hearing from you regards karen
Originally posted by Richard & Lisa
Old Jul 20th 2003, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Modigliana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kaleb777
My advice - Only go with Commonwealth if you really have to. They charge like wounded bulls. If opening an account with them or ANZ or NAB is the only way you can get your money here, close the account as soon as you get here and open a credit union account. You will pay far less in fees.
Boy you come out with some dross. The major banks provide realiable (read Government guaranteed) and decent service. Fees can be negated in several ways. One is to have major investment or a mortgage with the bank.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

I have my accounts with the Commonwealth Bank. I opened a Cash Management Call account which requires a minimum balance of AUD 5,000. I opened a savings account with ING Direct, as they pay %4.75 and I sweep any unused cash into this saving account every month (yeh right, like there is any!) Recently persuaded them to give me a visa card and I have opened Dollarmite account for our 3 year old son to pay his Xmas/birthday money and stuff into.

I pay about AUD10.00 per month in charges, which I didn’t think was that unreasonable. Once your “relationship balance� (total of all accounts) reaches AUD 20,000 you don’t pay any fees. I thought I needed a chequebook, but in reality I hardly ever use it. Not sure I would be happy without one though.

CBA have ATMs everywhere, and its usually pretty easy popping into a branch. Their phone lines are truly hopeless though. I find myself going in endless loops of “press 1 if blah blah blah� They are a bit crazy with form filling as well.

Not that impressed with them, but not annoyed enough to move!
Old Jul 21st 2003, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Modigliana
Boy you come out with some dross. The major banks provide realiable (read Government guaranteed) and decent service. Fees can be negated in several ways. One is to have major investment or a mortgage with the bank.
I don't know who the hell you are or where you live (your location is vacant) but whatever dross is, I think you're generating a fair bit yourself. Yes, if you have a lot of money to invest you are given a break, otehrwise you pay through the nose for crap service. Perhaps you should keep a bit more informed. It's the major banks that are constantly being complained about to the ombudsman, not the credit unions. I suggest you don't just negate other people's experiences which don't only include mine. Oh, and the banks are not government owned and are as safe as any large organisation (read HIH)