Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Coming to Oz in Sept - where do you recommend?

Coming to Oz in Sept - where do you recommend?

Old May 15th 2012, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Fitz88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coming to Oz in Sept - where do you recommend?

Hi I'm leaving Toronto for Australia this September and looking where I'd like to settle.

This is probably my last move so I've come to have some requirements
  • Dog friendly city
  • A bit of culture - not too big and multi national
  • Able to get by with public transport
  • Not snobby/pretentious

If you have any recommendations that'd be fab

Last edited by Fitz88; May 15th 2012 at 10:24 pm.
Old May 15th 2012, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

WestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to all
Default Re: Coming to Oz in Sept - where do you recommend?

Trieste northern Italy
Old May 15th 2012, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

WestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to all

Sorry wasn't being faceitious. Adelaide probably the closest. Sydney and Melbourne are the main cultural hubs of australia, but not without pretention. It doesn't sound like Brisbane or Perth would do it for you. Australia's no europe when it comes to public transport
Old May 15th 2012, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fitz88
Hi I'm leaving Toronto for Australia this September and looking where I'd like to settle.

• Dog friendly city None of them
  • A bit of culture - not too big and multi national None of them
  • Able to get by with public transport. None of them
  • Not snobby/pretentious All of them

I hope that helped.
Old May 16th 2012, 1:22 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I hope that helped.
lol...probably not I suspect!!!
Old May 16th 2012, 1:22 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WestLondonWelshman
Trieste northern Italy
I like Trieste, cold in winter though!!!
Old May 16th 2012, 1:28 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Here is my response

• Dog friendly city Most cities will have dog friendly parks but they are getting rare
  • A bit of culture - not too big and multi national Adelaide is the only one I reckon that fits that bill, Sydney is too big, Perth and Brisbane don't have much culture. Melbourne might be ok but still big. Also think about larger towns outside of the main capital cities....too many to even mention here.
  • Able to get by with public transport All of them, cheap but reliability can be variable on season and city funding
  • Not snobby/pretentious What do you class as snobby and pretentious??? Australia THINKS it has no class system...oh boy are they wrong!!

Old May 16th 2012, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

The place where you find a decent job. Sorry, but that would take priority for us over whether the city is dog-friendly.
Old May 16th 2012, 1:41 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Japonica
The place where you find a decent job. Sorry, but that would take priority for us over whether the city is dog-friendly.
But they are not asking you for YOUR priorities. They have their own and asked if you have any answers to them.
Old May 16th 2012, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I hope that helped.

Wish there was a 'like' button on here like facebook.
Old May 16th 2012, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
But they are not asking you for YOUR priorities. They have their own and asked if you have any answers to them.
Whatever. Ooh assuming jobs in the poster's field are thousand-fold all over Australia and pay so much that the streets are paved with gold:

Dog friendly city--judging by the amount of poo I find in the parks, that would be anywhere in Perth
Bit of culture--unless you count Eddie's yogourt, hard to come by here
Able to get by with public transport--yup, sardine style on the trains
Not snobby, pretentious--hmm, well, there's some neighborhoods here that would seem to fit the bill but then they also have cars rusting in the front gardens, punching bags in the doorways, and aluminum foil on the windows.
Old May 16th 2012, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

• Dog friendly city
  • A bit of culture - not too big and multi national
  • Able to get by with public transport
  • Not snobby/pretentious

Hobart!
Old May 16th 2012, 3:37 am
Just Joined

Fitz88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Japonica
I work from home so thats one less worry.
Old May 16th 2012, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Adelaide or Hobart, though not sure how comprehensive the buses are in Hobart. If you prefer cooler weather then Hobart, if you don't mind hot weather in summer (40+ possibly for days on end, though feels cold in winter) then Adelaide.
Old May 16th 2012, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hobart? Really! Please don't get me wrong its perfectly nice and Tasmania is a beautiful place, but really its just a seaport. I spent a weekend in Hobart a few years ago and enjoyed slurping a few cappucinos in Salamanca Place, but felt I had exhausted its cultural attractions well and truly in that time.

Personaly I could only settle in Sydney or Melbourne on a long-term basis because I love the city lifestyle and sorry Brisbane and Perth just do not do it for me. My wifes family are Adelaide based and I've got a softspot for it. It doesn't have the pseudo pretentions of the other four main cities and isn't as rich, but I loved the beach and slightly daggy element of it. The Yorke Peninsula and Victor Harbour were great getaways on the weekends and Kangaroo Island is a gem of a place.

That said when I lived in Adelaide I really needed to get to Melbourne or Sydney every few weeks to stop myself getting cabin fever. The problem with Australia is all the states are quasi isolated so you really have to like the place you live, because your stuck with it most of the time but I suppose thats true of Canada also.

Smaller towns and cities in oz are nice for a long weekend, but really not cultural meccas. Oz is no Europe or even USA for that matter when it comes to culture...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.