Reload this Page >

Coming to melbourne, need help on some things

Coming to melbourne, need help on some things

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 8:27 am
Just Joined

adam1098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Coming to melbourne, need help on some things

Hi anyone

We are coming over to melbourne in august for a month, to see if it is the place for us to move to next year. We are struggling to find some where half decent to rent (house). We have seen some house in Ocean grove and portarlington. Are these areas to far away from melbourne city for us.
We were also wondering if there are any meetings to attend while we are over there. Just so we could fine out anymore about melbourne.

Please help us, as we seem to be going round in circles over here in UK, and getting now where fast.

We are really looking forward to our holiday, if only we could get the accommodation sorted.

Is melbourne the place for the automotive employment. as my husband is a Production engineer in the automotive business and we have been told this is the area for him.

Look foward to hearing from anyone
Take care
the Raines
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 8:34 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coming to melbourne, need help on some things

Originally Posted by adam1098
Hi anyone

We are coming over to melbourne in august for a month, to see if it is the place for us to move to next year. We are struggling to find some where half decent to rent (house). We have seen some house in Ocean grove and portarlington. Are these areas to far away from melbourne city for us.
We were also wondering if there are any meetings to attend while we are over there. Just so we could fine out anymore about melbourne.

Please help us, as we seem to be going round in circles over here in UK, and getting now where fast.

We are really looking forward to our holiday, if only we could get the accommodation sorted.

Is melbourne the place for the automotive employment. as my husband is a Production engineer in the automotive business and we have been told this is the area for him.

Take care
the Raines
Hello ...we've been in Melbourne for over 2 years, and can help with some things
Just ask (though cannot help with car industry.)
Ocean Grove is about an hour and a half to the CBD - sending you this link for you to see yourself http://www.visitvictoria.com/display...047C/vvt.vhtml - but add on time for rush-hour traffic.

And welcome to the forum !!

Last edited by CasG; Apr 22nd 2007 at 8:37 am. Reason: Added a bit on ...as forgot to say 'welcome'
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CasG
Hello ...we've been in Melbourne for over 2 years, and can help with some things
Just ask (though cannot help with car industry.)
Ocean Grove is about an hour and a half to the CBD - sending you this link for you to see yourself http://www.visitvictoria.com/display...047C/vvt.vhtml - but add on time for rush-hour traffic.

And welcome to the forum !!

Hi and thanx for your quick reply.

It does seem abit to far as we are coming over to look at colleges, schools and areas that we may eventually want to live. Have you any suggestions?

Where are you from originally and are you enjoying it in melbourne.
What is the weather like in august, just for the type of clothes to bring for our hols!!

Cheers
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Hi anyone

Take care
the Raines
A great place to start for info would be BRITVICS great website and everyone willing to help you there are also loads of meet ups planned.

Good luck,

Cheryl
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

nickyblonde is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi anyone

Take care
the Raines
It will be interesting to hear how you get on as we are thinking of heading over to Melbourne for 3 weeks in August. Although its going to be a last minute arrangement as we are waiting for our visas to be granted (hopefully in June) and using the trip to validate them. As far as i know there is a Toyota car plant and possibly a Ford one ? Toyota one is on the West side of Melbourne. My partner currently works at Toyota in the UK.

Nikki
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and thanx for your quick reply.

It does seem abit to far as we are coming over to look at colleges, schools and areas that we may eventually want to live. Have you any suggestions?

Where are you from originally and are you enjoying it in melbourne.
What is the weather like in august, just for the type of clothes to bring for our hols!!

Cheers
Hello
I'm from Cheshire originally - husband and I (Carl posts as Shakmaty) love it here - particularly since we moved to Elsternwick. We were in Williamstown for a year to start with - but then moved here as closer to the schools that Carl works for (he is a Chess coach), and for the hospitals that I work in (I'm an Agency psych nurse) - and found it was a very, very good move for us.

Can be rather chilly in August - down to a daytime 12/14C - so bring some fleeces/jumpers. Re: rain ....well, we had some yesterday - first time we'd had rain that lasted for more than half an hour for at least 9 months (our friends have been here for that long, and couldn't remember seeing 'proper' rain since they had arrived.

Give me a shout here or via PM if you want to know more..

Cas
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CasG
Hello
I'm from Cheshire originally - husband and I (Carl posts as Shakmaty) love it here - particularly since we moved to Elsternwick. We were in Williamstown for a year to start with - but then moved here as closer to the schools that Carl works for (he is a Chess coach), and for the hospitals that I work in (I'm an Agency psych nurse) - and found it was a very, very good move for us.

Can be rather chilly in August - down to a daytime 12/14C - so bring some fleeces/jumpers. Re: rain ....well, we had some yesterday - first time we'd had rain that lasted for more than half an hour for at least 9 months (our friends have been here for that long, and couldn't remember seeing 'proper' rain since they had arrived.

Give me a shout here or via PM if you want to know more..

Cas
Hi thanx for that

12/14C is what we normally get in the uk at summertime ha ha. Apart from at the miute it is between 15 and 20 in april, which is strange.

Will give youa bell if we get stuck with anything.
Thanx again
Kerri
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
A great place to start for info would be BRITVICS great website and everyone willing to help you there are also loads of meet ups planned.

Good luck,

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl

Will try BRITVIC to see if it has any info for us.

Thanx again

Kerri
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Iolair will become famous soon enough

The city of Geelong is approx 1 hour (south west ish) from Melbourne and is home to the Ford Australia.

http://www.ford.com.au

It's a 30 minute drive from Ocean Grove or Portarlington (but I've done it in 15 mins ) The we site contains a section on motor industry careers. Geelong is a lovely city situated on Corio Bay, great fascilities, great shopping, close enough to all the Great Ocean Road beaches. Geelong is a nice balance between big city and country town. Ford is one of the biggest employers in the area.

http://www.geelongaustralia.com.au/