Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Coming To Manly Area Soon - Help Plllllleaseee!

Coming To Manly Area Soon - Help Plllllleaseee!

Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:58 am
Banned

djdutts is on a distinguished road
Default Coming To Manly Area Soon - Help Plllllleaseee!

Hello all!

We're moving to live in Oz in about three months and will be living in and around the Manly area. Been there before (although this was five years ago) and really enjoyed it. (Heard it's changed quite a bit?)

My question is really concerning where to live. We wasn't too keen on living in the heart of Manly itself (accommodation choices, costs, noise etc), however, we'd like to be nearby and the idea of getting a ferry to work in Sydney is good.

Can anyone help us out with giving us the low-down on places around Manly, where's nice, what type of accom to expect, costs etc? We'd prefer a 2 bed house as opposed to an apartment, but beggers can't be chosers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Alan&Sonia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coming To Manly Area Soon - Help Plllllleaseee!

We moved to Manly a year ago then moved out to Balgowlah, just 2 suburbs back from the beach, it is much quieter and you get more for your money in rentals. You should be able to rent a 2 bedroom house for about $450 a week. Apartments are around $360 a week. It is a 35 min walk from the wharf or catch a bus. Fairlight is another good area, close to Manly, walking distance in fact, it is also less noisy. We liked living in Manly for the convenience, and it was great when we first emigrated, to see the sea every day and be where it's all happening. But after a while we realised we would like to move out a little and get a bigger place for the same rental.

Go onto www.realestate.com.au to get an idea of what you can expect with accommodation. We love it here, we were in Manly today by the ferry and said how lucky we were to be living in such a great place, it's like you are permanently on holiday. We have had a couple of expat 'meets' and met some great people so we will all have to catch up and welcome you when you get here.

See you soon!
Originally Posted by djdutts
Hello all!

We're moving to live in Oz in about three months and will be living in and around the Manly area. Been there before (although this was five years ago) and really enjoyed it. (Heard it's changed quite a bit?)

My question is really concerning where to live. We wasn't too keen on living in the heart of Manly itself (accommodation choices, costs, noise etc), however, we'd like to be nearby and the idea of getting a ferry to work in Sydney is good.

Can anyone help us out with giving us the low-down on places around Manly, where's nice, what type of accom to expect, costs etc? We'd prefer a 2 bed house as opposed to an apartment, but beggers can't be chosers.

Cheers!
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

indooroopilly88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I'm an Australian who has lived in that area for 3 years from 1998-2000. I would definitely recommend Balgowlah (as in the previous post). It is also close to the Totem Shopping Centre.

Last time I was in Manly at the library, I went into the ladies toilets outside and there were special drug syringe boxes for people to place their used goods. Lovely!! Manly has two sides for sure!!

Yet Fairlight or Balgowlah and you are still walking distance to Manly .. but more in a family area. I would definitely recommend this as an option.

Also www.realestate.com.au is THE site to look for rentals/house buying.

Good luck. k
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 2:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan&Sonia
We moved to Manly a year ago then moved out to Balgowlah, just 2 suburbs back from the beach, it is much quieter and you get more for your money in rentals. You should be able to rent a 2 bedroom house for about $450 a week. Apartments are around $360 a week. It is a 35 min walk from the wharf or catch a bus. Fairlight is another good area, close to Manly, walking distance in fact, it is also less noisy. We liked living in Manly for the convenience, and it was great when we first emigrated, to see the sea every day and be where it's all happening. But after a while we realised we would like to move out a little and get a bigger place for the same rental.

Go onto www.realestate.com.au to get an idea of what you can expect with accommodation. We love it here, we were in Manly today by the ferry and said how lucky we were to be living in such a great place, it's like you are permanently on holiday. We have had a couple of expat 'meets' and met some great people so we will all have to catch up and welcome you when you get here.

See you soon!
Thanks everyone for the messages back - Alan & Sonia's help is mucho appreciated!

We'll check out the website and Baglowah is certainly looking an option.

Further help would obviously be appreciated.

Look forward to seeing everyone soon
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:11 am
Just Joined

IpswichToSydney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

We have been living in Fairlight since August and would definately recommend it. We both work in the City and get the Manly Ferry to work every day - it is a great way to commute to work and is only an 8 min walk to the wharf. We looked at about 20 or so places before choosing ours and there are some grotty places around. But having said that, there are also some nice areas in Manly but you just need to be very careful. There didn't seem to be as many houses available when we were looking, however there were a few in Balgowlah. We really liked a 2 bed house near the beach in Manly and it was up for $425 pw. It was snapped up within a few hours. When you do go to look at properties, make sure you take i.d, references and deposit money with you as some agencies act on a "first come, first serve" basis. I would also suggest using a car so that you can get to as many places as possible.

There are quite a few of us living in the manly area so we'll all have to meet up for a few drinks when you get here

All the best,

Sharon

Originally Posted by djdutts
Hello all!

Cheers!
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 5:29 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

As you said, steer clear of the centre of Manly. There are very nice, quiet roads on the Eastern hill: Osborne, Addison etc. But apartments there will set you back a fair packet if you buy - $1.5m plus is not at all unusual though there are others at $650k upwards.

It's the convenience of a short walk to the ferry that people pay for, of course - so how much exercise you can take sets the limit!
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by IpswichToSydney
Hi guys,

We have been living in Fairlight since August and would definately recommend it. We both work in the City and get the Manly Ferry to work every day - it is a great way to commute to work and is only an 8 min walk to the wharf. We looked at about 20 or so places before choosing ours and there are some grotty places around. But having said that, there are also some nice areas in Manly but you just need to be very careful. There didn't seem to be as many houses available when we were looking, however there were a few in Balgowlah. We really liked a 2 bed house near the beach in Manly and it was up for $425 pw. It was snapped up within a few hours. When you do go to look at properties, make sure you take i.d, references and deposit money with you as some agencies act on a "first come, first serve" basis. I would also suggest using a car so that you can get to as many places as possible.

There are quite a few of us living in the manly area so we'll all have to meet up for a few drinks when you get here

All the best,

Sharon
Thanks for the info all - it's really appreciated. I'm sure you know what it's like before you move :scared:

A drink is a great idea as well, again, many thanks for being so accommodating.

Cheers all