Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Comedy Channel - the British are dirty apparently?!?

Comedy Channel - the British are dirty apparently?!?

Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:24 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comedy Channel - the British are dirty apparently?!?

Here are some facts about the Brits annual bathing in the 1500s:

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May,
and still smelled pretty good by June. However, they were starting to smell,
so brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odour.
Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had
the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then
the women and finally the children. Last of all the babies. By then the
water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it.
Hence the saying: "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water."

Facts!

Andrew
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:57 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Comedy Channel - the British are dirty apparently?!?

Originally Posted by showdan
With regards to the calling of us Brits "POM's", I thought that POM originates from "Prisoner Of her Majesty"
Nope. That's a myth.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to the calling of us Brits "POM's", I thought that POM originates from "Prisoner Of her Majesty" so surly it is a percentage of the current Australian population that descended from these prisoners that are "POM's" and not us conviction less Brits.

Also if our distant past still makes us smelly & dirty in their eyes, using the same logic would make the Ozzie's Murdering Rapists.

So just accept that your smelly and dirty until they accept you as a murder
Pom = pomegranite (or however you spell it). It's been discussed here loads of times, try a seach.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

martynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nice

Originally Posted by iPom
I actually thought this thread was about British humour.

Oh well.
wow, what a pleasant friendly thing to say...................

it appears that this site has some really helpful people on it,

it also has some people who consider themselves intellectually superior, morally unquestionable, self absorbed and snobby.

When you consider that most posts on the site are placed in the context of anonymity, under minimal depth of relationship and knowledge with and of one's fellow posters, the amount of responses that immediately self elevate to higher ground is alarming !

I hope when I come to Australia that I can keep it light hearted and fun, I can imagine no quicker way of alienating people than as I have mentioned above.

Just an observation not drawn entirely from a single comment, but I'm new to this site and I've considered myself open minded, enthusiastic etc but I'm quickly finding it demoralizing to engage with some people on this site. I'm assuming here, that many use this site and their responses as a gauge to measure their self worth, and reward themselves as such.

I can see why people use it to find information and then infrequently or never post again, there are so many threads that are based on scoring points.

Ah, never mind
Old Oct 17th 2006, 10:29 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by martynm
wow, what a pleasant friendly thing to say...................

What the hell's wrong with you?

If you look at the thread TITLE, it says the Comedy Channel. The British are Dirty apparently...(Ergo: Comedy and British and Dirty - )

i merely thought it was someone elses idea of our British sense of humour. I'm actually allowed to say that because a whole sector of British humour IS dirty, from beach postcards and Benny Hill et al, and I'm British and quite happy to accept that as part of it's comedy history.
If you look at my other post on this thread, you'll see that it was a light hearted quip which one person (Oh my gosh, look at that, it was you!!!) thought was funny.
This isn't a serious thread. No-one is requesting help. No thread police...

You know, it's a message board and as such you get a huge mix of people here. You get light hearted and you get not so light hearted.

If you've got a problem with something I wrote you can always IM me and I can explain what the hell I meant, because sometimes, in fact, a lot of the time, throw away comments don't take a lot of brain power and they're frequently misunderstood.

Or you could take the course of action you've just responded with by trying to bring me down with your intellectual snobbery. At no point have I intended or assumed that I am above anyone else here in either intellect or status, and I find your assertions both childish and hugely insulting.

Got an issue? Discuss it with me like a man and don't hide behind your shallow ramblings and your anonymity on a mb.
You had no problem 'engaging' with me on my other comment, but just because you misinterpretted what I had written you have to resort to calling me a snob?

Round of applause for you, for sure.

Oh and if you want to call me unhelpful and 'point scoring', why not scroll through my posts since I've been here and then judge.

Last edited by iPom; Oct 17th 2006 at 10:42 am.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 10:38 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

fight fight fight !!!!!!!!!!!!!

*looks for 'boxing' smilie*
Old Oct 17th 2006, 10:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty

*looks for 'boxing' smilie*
You'll be lucky.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

martynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nice

What the hell's wrong with you?

If you look at the thread TITLE, it says the Comedy Channel. The British are Dirty apparently...(Ergo: Comedy and British and Dirty - )

i merely thought it was someone elses idea of our British sense of humour. I'm actually allowed to say that because a whole sector of British humour IS dirty, from beach postcards and Benny Hill et al, and I'm British and quite happy to accept that as part of it's comedy history.
If you look at my other post on this thread, you'll see that it was a light hearted quip which one person (Oh my gosh, look at that, it was you!!!) thought was funny.
This isn't a serious thread. No-one is requesting help. No thread police...

You know, it's a message board and as such you get a huge mix of people here. You get light hearted and you get not so light hearted.

If you've got a problem with something I wrote you can always IM me and I can explain what the hell I meant, because sometimes, in fact, a lot of the time, throw away comments don't take a lot of brain power and they're frequently misunderstood.

Or you could take the course of action you've just responded with by trying to bring me down with your intellectual snobbery. At no point have I intended or assumed that I am above anyone else here in either intellect or status, and I find your assertions both childish and hugely insulting.

Got an issue? Discuss it with me like a man and don't hide behind your shallow ramblings and your anonymity on a mb.
You had no problem 'engaging' with me on my other comment, but just because you misinterpretted what I had written you have to resort to calling me a snob?

Round of applause for you, for sure.

Oh and if you want to call me unhelpful and 'point scoring', why not scroll through my posts since I've been here and then judge.

Hi Again.

Maybe you're right, apologies.

I've just through your blog and it makes a good read. Good luck with the future.

Just a bit concerned as all I see is people being so vocal in opinions on others, and making glib remarks in the first instances (not your mail by the way). Doesn't seem a lot of harmony and respect going on, but that's life. I'm also worried about taking my family the other side of the world, so I'm viewing smaller things as an exmaple of wider stresses and strains etc.

Didn't want to PM as my first mail wasn't a PM.

best of luck, Martyn.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

Hi Again.

Maybe you're right, apologies.

I've just through your blog
Really? You poor sod.

Just a bit concerned as all I see is people being so vocal in opinions on others, and making glib remarks in the first instances (not your mail by the way).
Sure but remember there's a difference between helping people on the more serious threads and just being glib. Moving to the other side of the world is stressful, that is for sure, but when someone here needs help, I've never seen a better or finer bunch of people lend their support.

Doesn't seem a lot of harmony and respect going on, but that's life. I'm also worried about taking my family the other side of the world, so I'm viewing smaller things as an exmaple of wider stresses and strains etc.
Depends where you're looking i suppose and also, over time, relationships are formed and seeing the harmony and respect when people are swapping banter is hard unless you understand where they're coming from.

Apols for getting heated. You touched a sensitive spot. Now you know never to go there again.

You could come and join in the discussions on my seedy past.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Really? You poor sod.

Sure but remember there's a difference between helping people on the more serious threads and just being glib. Moving to the other side of the world is stressful, that is for sure, but when someone here needs help, I've never seen a better or finer bunch of people lend their support.

Depends where you're looking i suppose and also, over time, relationships are formed and seeing the harmony and respect when people are swapping banter is hard unless you understand where they're coming from.

Apols for getting heated. You touched a sensitive spot. Now you know never to go there again.

You could come and join in the discussions on my seedy past.

Hmnn, thanks for the apology and all that but I think with regard to the 'Now you know never to go there again ' crack you've rather reinforced my earlier point in a wonderfully condescending, aloof manner and lit the touch paper on something that should have defused.

BE is the epitome of a transient culture, those who continue to use it after the big move are surely the custodians of the atmosphere on the site, be that positive or negative.

As you have said in the blog, probably considered by yourself an opus.....

" why bother moving countries? Sitting on yer arse staring at a flickering box in the corner is the same in any language but if that’s all you do with the Australian bush outside, then you’d need your head looking at ;-)) "

Ever heard the phrase "physician heal thyself" ?

You do seem incredibly comfortable posting as much as you do, and I'm sure that you provide fantastic insights, but over three thousand posts !

The Blue Mountain evenings must fly by !!!!!!!!!!

Horrified again at your response, if you want a dust up I'm now good and ready.

Happy to let it go though, you're rapidly putting me (and others it now seems) off the site.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

The late night shows on TV here in the US & Canada, (Jay Leno & David Letterman)they always joke about the British people teeth.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:07 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Comedy Channel - the British are dirty apparently?!?

Also if our distant past still makes us smelly & dirty in their eyes, using the same logic would make the Ozzie's Murdering Rapists.
Actually, no.

The most common crime was theft (often food, clothes or other necessities). Violent criminals counted for less than 5% of the convict population. The age of convicts ranged from 9 years old to 82.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

Hmnn, thanks for the apology and all that but I think with regard to the 'Now you know never to go there again ' crack you've rather reinforced my earlier point in a wonderfully condescending, aloof manner and lit the touch paper on something that should have defused.
Must you consider every throw away glib comment as condescending?

BE is the epitome of a transient culture, those who continue to use it after the big move are surely the custodians of the atmosphere on the site, be that positive or negative.
As are all mb's Martyn. If you don't like the atmosphere, there are other boards which may suit you better.

As you have said in the blog, probably considered by yourself an opus.....
ROFLMAO !!! An opus? Oh, you're comedy gold, Martyn.

Ever heard the phrase "physician heal thyself" ?
A lot of what I do is on the computer because I'm currently starting up a business. The times you find me on BE is when I'm having a break from that work, so yes, I pop in here and there.

[quote]
You do seem incredibly comfortable posting as much as you do, and I'm sure that you provide fantastic insights, but over three thousand posts ![/quoute]

Yes, I'm comfortable engaging with other people. You don't seem to be though. My post count? Cheap shots Martyn, but if that's all you can muster? There are people with far more than me but they hide it to avoid people like you taking a pop at them. Personally I care not either way. You probably type with two fingers so I probably type 4 times as fast as you do. Do you know how long I've been here? You can't find that out, can you?
The Blue Mountain evenings must fly by !!!!!!!!!!
They do actually ...after the children are in bed, we have a fabulous dinner with some wine, usually on the deck, have a long chat, some coffee, maybe a game of something, and then because we're enterprising, most nights we get back to work because we're trying to make a go of it.

Horrified again at your response, if you want a dust up I'm now good and ready.
ROFL! A 'dust up'? Aren't you the quaint one?! Do you like trying to belittle women? Does it make you feel all masterful? Oooh, I bet it does.

Happy to let it go though, you're rapidly putting me (and others it now seems) off the site.
Oh you're priceless. It's a message board. You get all sorts here Martyn. If you don't like a person, just don't read or answer the posts. Tell that to the 'others' or are they just the voices in your head?

Best of luck on your move to Australia. Remember you have to take yourself with you so be happy in yourself before you do it. You sound very bitter and seem to have an inferiority problem. I'm hoping that this is just because you're stressed and anxious about the move. I see you're in IT (so is my oh) and that you have a young family, as many people here do. I notice from many of your posts how anxious you are.
I hope it works out for you and that life is as you expect it to be here.

Last edited by iPom; Oct 17th 2006 at 11:27 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:26 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Met a woman at the weekend commentating about how dirty the British were - when I politely asked her what she meant, she babbled for ages about a trip her family had taken to London in 1976 when the whole family had to take a bath in the same 3" of water and how disgusting the scum mark was around the top of the water. I tried to explain that that was a very bad year for water restrictions, and she was in London where the water is very hard but she wouldn't have it, so I just walked away
They'll be doing it here soon the amount of water left.