Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

come on lets have a debate.

come on lets have a debate.

Old Sep 9th 2005, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

monkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant future
Default come on lets have a debate.

if , (for the people who have reached there destination) you could go back to Britain easily would you? I say this because there are a lot of you out there that don't seem that happy with the choice you made to seek out that better life. I'm just curious because were just about to go to Perth at the beginning of December and everyone gets them "am I doing the rite thing" question going on and every time I read something thats not that great it puts that little seed of dought in my mind. It is true England is going down the pan make no mistake but it is also a beautiful country apart from the weather, but for the cost of everything and the fact that there are so many people here, when you want to do anything it involves queuing for hours or the I'm sorry were full, or the M1 has a 30 mile tailback. so please i realise Aus is going to have its faults but someone tell me its not going to be like that there is it?
thanks!
Old Sep 9th 2005, 5:58 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: come on lets have a debate.

Originally Posted by monkeymark
if , (for the people who have reached there destination) you could go back to Britain easily would you? I say this because there are a lot of you out there that don't seem that happy with the choice you made to seek out that better life. I'm just curious because were just about to go to Perth at the beginning of December and everyone gets them "am I doing the rite thing" question going on and every time I read something thats not that great it puts that little seed of dought in my mind. It is true England is going down the pan make no mistake but it is also a beautiful country apart from the weather, but for the cost of everything and the fact that there are so many people here, when you want to do anything it involves queuing for hours or the I'm sorry were full, or the M1 has a 30 mile tailback. so please i realise Aus is going to have its faults but someone tell me its not going to be like that there is it?
thanks!

Hi Mark
In my opinion it is a natural reaction to have doubts before you go and although you can listen to everyones opinions good bad and indifferent they are there opinions!
Everyone is different and have different expectations on what makes life good so until you experience it for yourself you will never know!
My outlook is lifes far too short not to have tried!!

We too are heading for Perth hopefully next year if all goes well with the visa application like you we have days of doubts are we doing the right thing but hey we look at it as an adventure!
Something to tell the grandchildren whether we are in Oz or elsewhere only time will tell

Good Luck

Kris xx
Old Sep 9th 2005, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

thanks!
Yes a debate would be good but you cant debate with Trolls whose only intention is to put that little seed of doubt into your mind in the first place.
In fact those Oz based Trolls who say its crap and think twice before moving are probably already there and glad they made the move, and would under no circumstances move back to the UK.

Sounds a bit rose tinted yea but I also think there are plenty of people who have made the move and yearn for their old life back and eventually make the move back to the UK, be it difficult or easy (and in many cases return to Oz afterwards).

Without giving it a go you will not know which category you fall into and if you have decided you want to give it a go then you should. We are and who knows one of us may end up hating it.

We dont have a bad life at the moment, but we want to experience living in another country and living amongst a different culture. We understand that Oz will not be the UK with sunshine, we dont want that, we want the life experience and are prepared to take the risks to get it.

Hey we could always come back if it doesnt work out but at the moment bring it on.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 6:12 pm

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Yes a debate would be good but you cant debate with Trolls whose only intention is to put that little seed of doubt into your mind in the first place.
In fact those Oz based Trolls who say its crap and think twice before moving are probably already there and glad they made the move, and would under no circumstances move back to the UK.

Sounds a bit rose tinted yea but I also think there are plenty of people who have made the move and yearn for their old life back and eventually make the move back to the UK, be it difficult or easy (and in many cases return to Oz afterwards).

Without giving it a go you will not know which category you fall into and if you have decided you want to give it a go then you should. We are and who knows one of us may end up hating it.

We dont have a bad life at the moment, but we want to experience living in another country and living amongst a different culture. We understand that Oz will not be the UK with sunshine, we dont want that, we want the life experience and are prepared to take the risks to get it.

Hey we could always come back if it doesnt work out but at the moment bring it on.
I second that
Old Sep 9th 2005, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

When I first found this site although good and bad points were made about the whole emigration concept, the comments were constructive and my buzz for Oz heightened each time I logged on. Recently though upon reading some of the posts the 'am I doing the right thing' is at the forefront and somedays I feel downright depressed when I log off. Yes I am grateful for all those who can enlighten me with good and bad points of Oz - but lets face it England isn't perfect and we all moan about our lives here from time to time.

So a great big thanks to those of you who do reply without the slagging and the baglash. I look forward again to the day where I can post 'stupid' questions without the threat of vicious replys

Lindsey
Old Sep 9th 2005, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
When I first found this site although good and bad points were made about the whole emigration concept, the comments were constructive and my buzz for Oz heightened each time I logged on. Recently though upon reading some of the posts the 'am I doing the right thing' is at the forefront and somedays I feel downright depressed when I log off. Yes I am grateful for all those who can enlighten me with good and bad points of Oz - but lets face it England isn't perfect and we all moan about our lives here from time to time.

So a great big thanks to those of you who do reply without the slagging and the baglash. I look forward again to the day where I can post 'stupid' questions without the threat of vicious replys

Lindsey
Too right sister - or is that maitron?!
Old Sep 9th 2005, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

sid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nice

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
I agree entirely. I sometimes think twice about logging on because it can just make me depressed.

You have to keep it in perspective though. You could make a long list of complaints about any country in the world. I know that when people post things along the lines "here's what I hate about Australia and why you shouldn't bother going" they will have had an equally long list of complaints about the UK before they left there. And they will no doubt build another list when they return.

You have to be sensible and realise that there will be compromises and settling in is tough - but I think it's vital not to lose your enthusiasm before you even get there!
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

thanks!
Lucky you...*S*.i am australian and never been to Perth..it is definently on my ....must go to list....been wanting to go there 4ever..

i can tell you i have NOT met one single aussie who has been there or lived there and hated Perth or the region....if anything quite the opposite.. ....ENJOY~

Last edited by Maple Leaf; Sep 9th 2005 at 7:30 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:10 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It's really weird, but on this and several other threads I have this gut feeling that someone's having a conversation with themselves. LMAO.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hutch
It's really weird, but on this and several other threads I have this gut feeling that someone's having a conversation with themselves. LMAO.
#
mmmmm do you suspect a troll in our midst then? Could it be... ...you?
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:42 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
LOL - I wondered that too. Thought I was getting paranoid and seeing into things too much
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

...compare how many lifes do you have...and how many countries there are ..if it dont work out you can head off elsewhere. I just dont wanna hit old aged and be saying ..ooooh I wish id gone and done that. At the end of the day life is only about getting experiences...dont ever stop getting them.

Cheers
Old Sep 9th 2005, 10:26 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is fantastic, but its totally up to you what you get out of it.

Poeple can dwell on the negatives, but will that change anything?
Old Sep 9th 2005, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Before my recent trip to the UK, which was my first in about 16 years, I honestly thought that Australia was a far better place to be on all fronts, for everyone. Irrespective of circumstance, career prospects, location, etc etc.

I Have changed my mind dramatically, and now beleive that a much larger proportion of people thinking about coming from the UK, would indeed be better of, even lifestyle wise by staying where they are. One large group that comes to mind would be high earning white collar workers. If they have plenty of spare leisure time, they are probably much better off staying in the UK, and utilising their time off to get the most out of their lives.

If I could Identify one thing about the UK, that was the most irrititing and off putting it would be the congested roads, which really does have a major negative impact on most people.

If I could indentify one thing about Aussie, that was negative, it would be the fact that it is so far away from anything interesting, mainly Europe and America I mean. I'm at a stage in my life now, that if I had the same circumstances/freedom etc, that I would probably be off to europe a couple of times a year, and America quite often as well, Oseas options for even our closest neighbours for a dose of different culture, are far more expensive and less interesting to me at least. IE: I'd love to spend 3 days around the Louvre, I've never seen that gaudi influence around barcelona, never been anywhere in eastern europe etc etc etc etc. Each year here that passes makes me feel more and more like I missing out on things that I would really like to do with my leisure time.

As for the world troll getting bandied about. I disagree with the use of this word, especially when it is used to attack someones argument. It's fine to use it for people that are being personal.

However if one has an opposing view on the merits of each country, thats fair enough, and hopefully it gets people thinking in a different light.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks!
Hi
You are bound to have doubts, you are moving half way round the world. It is such a huge decision to make and one thet no one makes lightly, contrary to what a lot of people think. In my opinion if you don't try it, you will never know if you will settle or not and life is far far too short to not give it a go. As for would I go back...........no way. I have accepted that things are different here and do not expect it to be the same as UK with sunshine. Things are very strange at first and take some getting used to, but if I had not wanted that challenge I would not have made the move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.