Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Collie, Eaton or around?????????

Collie, Eaton or around?????????

Old Sep 17th 2006, 5:04 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Collie, Eaton or around?????????

Collie,Eaton

Can anyone thrown any info my way about these areas?

looking at Land and looks like you get loads more for you $. Collie looks a fair bit away but Eaton is just North of Bunbury

John

Last edited by Sunny_Glesga; Sep 17th 2006 at 5:07 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 11:26 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Collie, Eaton or around?????????

maybe nobody lives there? :scared:
Old Sep 18th 2006, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Not really sure of those areas?????
My worry would be finding work there
Old Sep 18th 2006, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

All i know of Collie is that it was in the news recently regarding a schoolgirl murder which involved gothic :scared:
Old Sep 18th 2006, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
Collie,Eaton

Can anyone thrown any info my way about these areas?

looking at Land and looks like you get loads more for you $. Collie looks a fair bit away but Eaton is just North of Bunbury

John

Collie is part of the South West boom, so no doubt you will get plenty of work as a Plasterer. Many of the people who live there work at Kemerton or Worsley minesites. Eaton is closer to Bunbury and the beach. Depends what you want really. Have you lodged your application yet? Perhaps you should go out for a look.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

Both are near enough to Bunbury, wouldn't take long to drive to either. Australind is another area you could think about as is Busselton which is still a good price and on the coast. Busselton is 40 minutes from Bunbury.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 2:04 pm
UK is Home

Finding work would obviously be a major issue no matter where we eventually move to ( Visa Permitting) but as the OH is so used to doing the travelling from anything from 2-80 miles per day and doesn't mind as its the norm we do have as i see it a wide area of choices, again with the clauses ( Land/House Prices)

As for the beach, I`m quite happy to be 1 hour away without any concerns as i think if its on your doorstep too close it may be a bit of Too Much of a good thing and not appreciate the beach day family outings ( the OH wouldn't mind falling out his bed at the weekends and onto the sand) he prefers to lay on it and not work it!

I still do have the concerns about how long the Visa process is going to last and whether or not there will be any Land left at an affordable cost by the time we get there

I hope never to have to look at Alice Springs

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip
Collie is part of the South West boom, so no doubt you will get plenty of work as a Plasterer. Many of the people who live there work at Kemerton or Worsley minesites. Eaton is closer to Bunbury and the beach. Depends what you want really. Have you lodged your application yet? Perhaps you should go out for a look.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 2:09 pm
UK is Home

We have lodged our App back in May and still waiting for a CO.

Unfortunately we wont be able to get out there to have a look before we move for good, We did have a look at Sydney area 18 months ago as we did originally plan on moving east before we let Perth house prices get a grip on us. Even though this has also changed dramatically for the worse ( for the buyer) we now have our heart set on WA

Old Sep 18th 2006, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

80km or about an hour from Bunbury inland is Bridgetown, beautiful place and still cheap, which is unusual for the south west. Because it's inland the summers can be pretty hot, and the winter morning's pretty nippy.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
maybe nobody lives there? :scared:
You may not believe this but..... my sister used to live in Eaton, last year moved to Collie and is now living in Australind!

I think she found Collie just a bit too far in, half-hour drive from work, Bunbury etc and most people living there are locals in the mining industry. She has been wanting to move to Australind for a long time, really loves the area and is staying in a rental while waiting for her house to be built, but unfortunately even this distance away from Perth, the house prices are shooting up. The houses in her street are being sold in the region of $450,000 at the moment! We would have looked at moving to Australind or Bunbury, but knowing that all the IT work would be in Perth, opted for Mandurah instead. That way we have an hour's drive to Perth for work, and an hour's drive to Australind for visiting my sister, Mandurah is nicely mid-way between the two. There is a new housing estate just out of Bunbury which you may want to look at, it's called Dalyellup, bit cheaper because it's not coastal. If you want to self-build, look at any lots that are a decent size, 1000m2 or more, these are getting increasingly harder to find, the people making the money at the moment seem to be those sitting on large lumps of land.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 11:57 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

There is a new housing estate just out of Bunbury which you may want to look at, it's called Dalyellup, bit cheaper because it's not coastal.

Would this be the Dalyellup beach estate?
We live on Dalyellup and we can hear the waves crashing, if you have the money, $400k plus just for a 550 sqm plot no house $850k up for a house as well, then you can live overlooking the beach.

The new release must be any time now as they were putting up lots of signs advertising "Dalyellup Gardens" when I came home from work tonight.

As for Eaton or Collie, the opinion at work concerning Collie is its great if you can play the Banjo and if you have 6 toes you will fit in fine.

Eaton/Australind/Treendale/Kingston is coming on in bounds and is much better placed for Bunbury and for the trips up to Perth.

Have a look on Google earth, its got quite good detail, I can see my house.
Its abot a year behind but will give you an idea.

Kevin
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:03 pm
UK is Home

I think from the feedback i`m getting on here Jacqi we will be loking to remove Collie from the equasion.

It does though seem to be geting increasingly harder to try and narrow down the areas that you want to consider, either by the prices of Land/Houses as they are going through the roof, or no land available to purchase,also with not having a great deal of info on these areas apart from what we can get from you guy`s ( which is very much appreciated)

looking back a bit when we first looked at WA because of obvious reasons, i.e house/land prices that would allow us more lee-way if we decided after a bit that we didnt like where we were, we could just move to another rental at a REASONABLE cost but now it looks like if you can get a reasonable property to rent you need to keep it as there aint many about to allow you to do this!

Anyway the OH is now set on building our house for us to try and weigh up the increase land prices and justify the overall cost/what the property is worth. We do only intend to make this a home and not an investment, ( maybe for the kids, certainly not us anyway)

looking at the land sizes, we are sitting in a 300m2 at the moment here in the UK and to be honest if we could purchase something with 500m2 at a decent price then we would be delighted. we deffinately feel that we dont need that big a home, just a litle more space for the pool in the back garden and a hammock to shut the OH up. He insists on a hammock and a large coolbox right by his side ( full of beer! so he thinks)

We should have roughtly $150k to buy land and hopefully maybe only have to finance/mortgage the build for $200k. It may sound like pennies to most but we plan to work to Live and NOT live to work as we have been doing for a long while in the UK

Before we can do anything though, we need Mr DIMIA to be nice to us and give us a VISA, even a CO would be good

Leeanne/John

PS: had a look at dalyellup on google earth but these photos may be up to 3 years old i hear

Originally Posted by Jacqui
You may not believe this but..... my sister used to live in Eaton, last year moved to Collie and is now living in Australind!

I think she found Collie just a bit too far in, half-hour drive from work, Bunbury etc and most people living there are locals in the mining industry. She has been wanting to move to Australind for a long time, really loves the area and is staying in a rental while waiting for her house to be built, but unfortunately even this distance away from Perth, the house prices are shooting up. The houses in her street are being sold in the region of $450,000 at the moment! We would have looked at moving to Australind or Bunbury, but knowing that all the IT work would be in Perth, opted for Mandurah instead. That way we have an hour's drive to Perth for work, and an hour's drive to Australind for visiting my sister, Mandurah is nicely mid-way between the two. There is a new housing estate just out of Bunbury which you may want to look at, it's called Dalyellup, bit cheaper because it's not coastal. If you want to self-build, look at any lots that are a decent size, 1000m2 or more, these are getting increasingly harder to find, the people making the money at the moment seem to be those sitting on large lumps of land.

Last edited by Sunny_Glesga; Sep 19th 2006 at 2:05 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:18 pm
UK is Home

had a look on http://www.realestate.com.au and found these.
Attached Thumbnails Collie, Eaton or around?????????-dalyellup_%24385k__4x2.jpg   Collie, Eaton or around?????????-dalyellup_%24390k__4x2.jpg  
Old Sep 19th 2006, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

(Anyway the OH is now set on building our house for us to try and weigh up the increase land prices and justify the overall cost/what the property is worth. We do only intend to make this a home and not an investment, ( maybe for the kids, certainly not us anyway)

Building your own house in Australia is not as easy as it is here in the UK. There are very strict rules that apply and getting tradesmen could be quite difficult. The last thing you want are lengthy delays, while you're paying rent. There is no way you can make this type of decision until you get there and have a look around. You need to get your feet on the ground first and take it a step at a time. Chances are you will walk into a well-established house that feels perfect and you'll buy it on the spot! As long as you have to get a mortgage, you may as well enjoy the benefits from the start. Building a new home is not all it's cracked up to be, believe me.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:23 pm
UK is Home

I do fully appreciate what your saying about what i may come up against, Tradesmen are sometimes terrible to sort out back here also i have learned this through the 20 yrs experience in the Building Game.

We have thought this through very thoroughly and we are 100% certain that this is the way we want to go when we move, when you mentioned that we could walk into a well-established house that feels perfect, this is also so true but for the fact that now to do that would probably put us well above our budget mortgage payments and this isn't the way i want to start off.

I know this may come across as a bit ignorant to what lies ahead when we go down this road but i am prepared to deal with any implications/problems that may arise as i have done this all my life ( i have lasted well with the Missus! ) ouch! slap.........ouch! .. she`s gone now

Seriously! i know it will be tough and we will hit some red tape but we will get through it in the end. We will be looking to buy land and build our house to completion within 18 months of landing. We are hoping to be on budget for a rental for this time to be max $25k

I do expect from what i have gathered that the tradies i have to worry about are Plumbers,G-Fitters and Electricians

I have put a pic on one i have built earlier for a member of the family, from Foundations to erecting Kit to doing the roof and eventually what i`m good at! the roughcasting which incidentally is now completed.........this project too 10 months to this stage and this was done outwith my own working day hours. again the only part of this i wasn't part of was the Electricals, gas CH, and the Plumbing( Internal)

Anyway, as i said, i may be a bit ignorant to what lies ahead of me regarding a few things but we have convinced ourselves enough that its certainly possible to build what we are looking to build in OZ.

Walking straight into a nice big house with nothing to do would be nice! maybe i will win the lottery and do that, In saying that maybe by the time we get the VISA we will have to win it twice!!!!!!!

(Anyway the OH is now set on building our house for us to try and weigh up the increase land prices and justify the overall cost/what the property is worth. We do only intend to make this a home and not an investment, ( maybe for the kids, certainly not us anyway)

Building your own house in Australia is not as easy as it is here in the UK. There are very strict rules that apply and getting tradesmen could be quite difficult. The last thing you want are lengthy delays, while you're paying rent. There is no way you can make this type of decision until you get there and have a look around. You need to get your feet on the ground first and take it a step at a time. Chances are you will walk into a well-established house that feels perfect and you'll buy it on the spot! As long as you have to get a mortgage, you may as well enjoy the benefits from the start. Building a new home is not all it's cracked up to be, believe me.
Attached Thumbnails Collie, Eaton or around?????????-dsc00027.jpg  

Last edited by Sunny_Glesga; Sep 19th 2006 at 6:25 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.