Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Colds & Flus....Common ?

Colds & Flus....Common ?

Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Colds & Flus....Common ?

I find the common cold is quite common in Darwin, rare colds are not so common.

But seriously, my kids bring a virus home from school once in a while, runny noses, coughs and sneezes and the like, but none have had any serious stuff - probably 2 days off in the last 3 years.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I used to suffer almost permanent sinus problems in the UK but rarely do here (mind you, I was working then.)

However, I never had hay fever in the UK but certainly *do* here - different pollen I expect.

Every other person in town seems to have a cold most winters - which is unsurprising given the lack of concern about spreading them around.....
Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I used to suffer almost permanent sinus problems in the UK but rarely do here (mind you, I was working then.)

However, I never had hay fever in the UK but certainly *do* here - different pollen I expect.

Every other person in town seems to have a cold most winters - which is unsurprising given the lack of concern about spreading them around.....
The biggest bore for me is people who worry about catching a cold. And then talk about them when they get them. "Don't do that - I'll get it"! It's an effing virus. They make it sound like voodoo. "It's really bad. I've got an ache here, and a gripe there". So you've got a virus...good for you son.

In an office environment people worry about it all the time. Here and in the UK. Central heating and AC systems can't help.

I don't mind 'em. Can slope off work. They don't disable you completely.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

GreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The biggest bore for me is people who worry about catching a cold. And then talk about them when they get them. "Don't do that - I'll get it"! It's an effing virus. They make it sound like voodoo. "It's really bad. I've got an ache here, and a gripe there". So you've got a virus...good for you son.

In an office environment people worry about it all the time. Here and in the UK. Central heating and AC systems can't help.

I don't mind 'em. Can slope off work. They don't disable you completely.
I've moved overseas a total of four times in the last 11 years (NZ-UK; UK-NZ; NZ-UK; UK-Oz).

Each and everytime I spend the first 12-18 months catching every bug under the sun - possibly adapting to the localised strains (as well as the more global ones). After a couple of years I was more inline with the locals regarding how many flus/colds I'd get.

I do find the lifestyle here much healthier and more inducive to the outdoors which helps somewhat. Best of luck!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

I've never had flu in Australia, because I have the influenza vaccine every year. If you've ever had real flu, you'll know how severe it is compared to a cold- and what a relief it is not to have to go through it again.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 7:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michael_w
I've never had flu in Australia, because I have the influenza vaccine every year. If you've ever had real flu, you'll know how severe it is compared to a cold- and what a relief it is not to have to go through it again.
Please don't assume that because you've had the 'jab' you won't get flu again, you're likely to be disappointed.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:32 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
But there is less variety of flu and cold here.
Can you provide evidence for this?
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:51 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

luckily for us we have not had a bad cold since we have been in oz BUt the hayfever and the asthma are worse
friends with young school kids seem to get the same amount of colds
Old Feb 19th 2011, 3:02 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

I used to get an annual niggling cough in the UK that would last for months.

Not a sniff of anything like it in more than 3 years here
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kalenge

That never happened to me in the UK, but here I was prescribed an inhaler last year to get rid of a cough that lasted for weeks.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Please don't assume that because you've had the 'jab' you won't get flu again, you're likely to be disappointed.
They update the flu vaccine strains every year to match those that are circulating, so it does a pretty good job, but of course it is not 100%. I have the flu vaccine because I have asthma which can be made much worse by respiratory infections. When I first arrived Down Under I had a really bad episode of asthma, which the doctors said was triggered by flu or a flu-like virus. Since then, I have had the flu vax each autumn and got through each winter without any more serious asthma attacks.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 7:52 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kalenge

One of my colleagues has just been diagnosed with whooping cough! He's been looking like death for weeks now.

According to his GP he's seen 8 adults in the last 2 weeks with it...incidence increasing due to lower take up of child vaccines apparently.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 7:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
One of my colleagues has just been diagnosed with whooping cough! He's been looking like death for weeks now.

According to his GP he's seen 8 adults in the last 2 weeks with it...incidence increasing due to lower take up of child vaccines apparently.
There was an epidemic of it in Brisbane last year apparently.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:16 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

This thread strikes an unhappy chord with me - I've been under an upper respiratory infection for a week - and just today given it to Mrs Wol, who is suitably grateful. Suitably as in "I am going to kill you".............
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
Australia isn't all that different when it comes to cold and flu I think.

One thing that is VERY different though is my hay fever. I suffer from hay fever very badly in the UK, in fact the Doctor stated that it was one of the worst reactions to pollen he had ever seen!!!

It is the tree pollen in the UK that gets me especially around May time as that is when the kind of trees that really get me give off pollen. When I was younger and I didn't keep the medication up my eyes would totally close up and become so puffy I could hardly see out. Breathing was very difficult indeed, you can almost feel the pollen stinging your lungs! I would regularly not be able to breath through my nose from May - July. Even with medication it was bad.

However in Australia I am hay fever free That for me is reason enough to head back.

I hear the people who suffer from grass pollen still get hay fever in Australia, depends on which kind of pollen you are allergic to.
Isn't it interesting how everyone's so different?

None of us had seasonal allergies back in Canada. Since we moved here, both kids have developed hayfever...spring is the worst although my son was affected last autumn too for some reason...I've dragged sniffly, snotting, coughing kids to the GP a few times now for him to say, "Hayfever!" and charge me for that diagnosis...

As for the whooping cough, my husband (who had a booster and was up to date) brought it home last March. Two of us didn't get it but my son did. Everyone was pretty miserable for a while. It's not purely lower uptake of childhood vaccines (which doesn't account for why hubby got it) but the pertussis bacteria has adapted and become more virulent over the years...I've read some fascinating published studies documenting this...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.