Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cold Sydney houses - Are we being unreasonable?

Cold Sydney houses - Are we being unreasonable?

Old May 18th 2005, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future
Default Cold Sydney houses - Are we being unreasonable?

G'day!

We're about to experience our second Oz winter now and things seem to be colder (already!) than last year. We have moved into another rental property which is proving to be very cold (well 16-17 degrees so far, but then what is to come??). It's a typical early 20th century brick house with no form of heating although we have now bough an oil heater for one of the rooms. I have put draft excluders on all the doors but have noticed that the attic has no insulation at all and therefore any heat is quickly warming up the surrounding suburd! My question is, are we being cheeky if we ask our landlord to fit insulation? Or have we turned into pathetic sun-lovers? The wife doesn't appreciate the cold much, especially when she is 6 months pregnant! Sometimes it's even colder inside the house than it is outside!!!

We're paying 400/wk for a 2 bed home in Russell Lea and don't real want to waste money on heating that quickly travels through the roof! I guess it would be an investment for the house if they did insulate it, but trying to persuade them to do it may prove cumbersome.

Any thoughts appreciated!

piers
Old May 18th 2005, 7:03 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cold Sydney houses - Are we being unreasonable?

Originally Posted by piers_morgan
G'day!

We're about to experience our second Oz winter now and things seem to be colder (already!) than last year. We have moved into another rental property which is proving to be very cold (well 16-17 degrees so far, but then what is to come??). It's a typical early 20th century brick house with no form of heating although we have now bough an oil heater for one of the rooms. I have put draft excluders on all the doors but have noticed that the attic has no insulation at all and therefore any heat is quickly warming up the surrounding suburd! My question is, are we being cheeky if we ask our landlord to fit insulation? Or have we turned into pathetic sun-lovers? The wife doesn't appreciate the cold much, especially when she is 6 months pregnant! Sometimes it's even colder inside the house than it is outside!!!

We're paying 400/wk for a 2 bed home in Russell Lea and don't real want to waste money on heating that quickly travels through the roof! I guess it would be an investment for the house if they did insulate it, but trying to persuade them to do it may prove cumbersome.

piers
Figure how much more rent yer willin' ter pay before youse pray to the Lord.
Old May 18th 2005, 9:22 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by piers_morgan
G'day!

piers
Ask away! When we were renting 4 bed for same amount in Miranda we asked for heaps of things, landlord only too pleased to comply, said it would benefit them in the end. So I supose depends on landlord.

Marie
Old May 18th 2005, 9:25 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Go ahead - the landlord will deduct the cost of hte roofing material from his tax - doing him a favour really. ;-)
Old May 18th 2005, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by spalen
Go ahead - the landlord will deduct the cost of hte roofing material from his tax - doing him a favour really. ;-)

Good thinking - hadn't thought of it that way!