Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cold Feet and My Mum

Cold Feet and My Mum

Old Apr 7th 2006, 10:32 pm
Scottish and a Mum

Scottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant future
Default Cold Feet and My Mum

Where do I start?

I've spent weeks gathering together all the information I needed to get my dh's TRA. Its been almost ready to go for weeks now and I've kind of backed off away from it. This is the second time I've did this.

The first time was because of things I'd read on here, costs of living etc. But this time its because I don't know what to do about my mum.

She's recently split up from her long term partner of 12 years and she lives in a house which we own and pays rent that covers 2/3 of the mortgage on it. However to move to oz, we'd need to sell the house and her life is a bit of a mess. I just can't kick her out in the street and she's made our little house her home. I kind of support her at the moment too. She looks after our little fella while I'm at work, which I pay her for.

Is there any way she would be able to come with us? I'm just having a real problem leaving her behind, although I have a brother and a sister, they're about as useless as she is at the moment.

My mum is only 49, she does have a couple of health problems but nothing serious. Unfortunately, she hasn't worked for several years (she was a kept woman, but has just lost everything!). I can't see any possible way that she can get a visa, can anyone else? Can't she come as my au pair or something.

Apologies to those too who are waiting on the emigrate challenge dvd from me, my dvd player chucked it and I only just got a new one today.

I'm having a right hard time at work just now too and considering changing jobs etc, which I obviously would rather not do if I would be leaving to go to Aus anyway.

Someone PLEASE talk some sense into me, I dunno whats up with me just now!

Catherine xxx
Old Apr 7th 2006, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cold Feet and My Mum

Originally Posted by Scottishmum
Where do I start?

I've spent weeks gathering together all the information I needed to get my dh's TRA. Its been almost ready to go for weeks now and I've kind of backed off away from it. This is the second time I've did this.

The first time was because of things I'd read on here, costs of living etc. But this time its because I don't know what to do about my mum.

She's recently split up from her long term partner of 12 years and she lives in a house which we own and pays rent that covers 2/3 of the mortgage on it. However to move to oz, we'd need to sell the house and her life is a bit of a mess. I just can't kick her out in the street and she's made our little house her home. I kind of support her at the moment too. She looks after our little fella while I'm at work, which I pay her for.

Is there any way she would be able to come with us? I'm just having a real problem leaving her behind, although I have a brother and a sister, they're about as useless as she is at the moment.

My mum is only 49, she does have a couple of health problems but nothing serious. Unfortunately, she hasn't worked for several years (she was a kept woman, but has just lost everything!). I can't see any possible way that she can get a visa, can anyone else? Can't she come as my au pair or something.

Apologies to those too who are waiting on the emigrate challenge dvd from me, my dvd player chucked it and I only just got a new one today.

I'm having a right hard time at work just now too and considering changing jobs etc, which I obviously would rather not do if I would be leaving to go to Aus anyway.

Someone PLEASE talk some sense into me, I dunno whats up with me just now!

Catherine xxx

Aw, so sorry to hear all that. I can't offer any advise re your Mum and a visa, I think you may need to speak to an agent who may be able to give you some options.

I hope things improve
Old Apr 7th 2006, 10:44 pm
Scottish and a Mum

Scottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant futureScottishmum has a brilliant future

Thanks Wendy!

I think I'm having an age 30 crisis or something. None of this was bothering me a few weeks ago, I was hardened to it, thinking ah well, she'll just get on as she always done. Maybe someone gave me a heart

I'll ask the same on the immigration forum and see if any of the agents answer.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Catherine xxx
Old Apr 7th 2006, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scottishmum
Thanks Wendy!

I think I'm having an age 30 crisis or something. None of this was bothering me a few weeks ago, I was hardened to it, thinking ah well, she'll just get on as she always done. Maybe someone gave me a heart

I'll ask the same on the immigration forum and see if any of the agents answer.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Catherine xxx

It's hard with Mum's, I think if mine had still been here I would have found it really hard to go to Oz. She lived with my brother, who was treated like a 10 year old LOL, but she relied on me for quite a lot. So I know how you feel sort of.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:24 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Can't really offer any words of wisdom but someone else out there might.

CHeers

Ginny
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:28 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Catherine
It is really hard when your parents are so emotionally reliant on you.
Can you start to try and boost your mums independence a bit, start encouraging her to take up new activities - if necessary you could start them with her then slowly withdraw.
Also have you tried to talk to her about your dilema, she maybe worrying about the same things as you.
Good luck and let us know how things progress
Gillian x