Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Coffs Harbour or Tweed Heads

Coffs Harbour or Tweed Heads

Old Feb 13th 2005, 6:00 pm
Merlot

Default Coffs Harbour or Tweed Heads

My hubby is looking at us settling back in maybe one of these areas. I have only ever passed through on a coach so cannot comment.

Has anyone or does anyone live around these parts and if so are you happy?

I guess employment is one of the burning questions - any answers?

Many thanks
Merlot

Old Feb 13th 2005, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

taylors244 will become famous soon enoughtaylors244 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Coffs Harbour or Tweed Heads

Originally Posted by Merlot
My hubby is looking at us settling back in maybe one of these areas. I have only ever passed through on a coach so cannot comment.

Many thanks
Merlot
dear merlot
we were over in aus in dec. we stayed in coffs harbour and also at tweed heads, both were equally as lovely and beautiful with lovely friendly people. In our opinion we would(and are) head towards tweed purely for the fact that you are closer to gold coast and brisbane,which will help with work opportunities. We felt that coffs was quite on its own, but it really depends on what sort of work and lifestyle you are looking for.
hope this helps a bit
keith and sam
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:32 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by taylors244
dear merlot
we were over in aus in dec. we stayed in coffs harbour and also at tweed heads, both were equally as lovely and beautiful with lovely friendly people. In our opinion we would(and are) head towards tweed purely for the fact that you are closer to gold coast and brisbane,which will help with work opportunities. We felt that coffs was quite on its own, but it really depends on what sort of work and lifestyle you are looking for.
hope this helps a bit
keith and sam
Thanks Keith & Sam, Tweeds has been coming the stronger of the 2. We are so early in our research at the moment so any advice for those that have seen the place is helpful.

Many thanks
Merlot

Old Feb 13th 2005, 8:14 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
Merlot
I've got freinds in coolangatta seemed like a very nice place to live
Old Feb 13th 2005, 8:56 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by fraser
I've got freinds in coolangatta seemed like a very nice place to live
Did they find looking for empployment OK?

M

Old Feb 13th 2005, 9:45 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Did they find looking for empployment OK?

M
Yes he did but He first worked for a mate who's a chippy and then found work in his own trade as a painter and decorater. I think he's now self employed.

Plenty of work for tradesman there if that's what you do
Old Feb 13th 2005, 10:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Paula1 moved out to Coffs Harbour middle of Jan. Her uncle lives there and he has sponsored them so they are living with him for a while. She is not back online yet and I don't have her new e-mail address yet either. No doubt she will spring up as some point and will happily tell you what's happening.

My only problem with Tweed Heads (not been there myself) would be crossing the road during daylight saving months Start crossing the road at 8am and reach the other side at 9am :scared:
Old Feb 13th 2005, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Merlot
I dont know anything about Coffs Harbour. But with Tweed Heads, you could also probably get a job on the Gold Coast.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 10:29 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks
Merlot
Coffs has the same reputation as Gosford with the added pleasure of Russel Crowe starting pub fights. Tweed Heads council is funded by the local developers so is in danger of becoming a high rise horror. Be careful where you buy there.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bondipom
Coffs has the same reputation as Gosford with the added pleasure of Russel Crowe starting pub fights. Tweed Heads council is funded by the local developers so is in danger of becoming a high rise horror. Be careful where you buy there.
There are some nice nearby places like pottsville and kingscliff is lovely.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
Merlot
Coffs Harbour has always had an unemployment problem. Too many western suburb Sydneysiders have gone there on their hols, seen the cheap housing, sold-up at home and moved to live by the sea. Only to find that work's a big problem, particularly during winter. They then can't afford to move back. Not much future there for bright kids - they have to leave home.

Tweed Heads is much better placed, for work prospects.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 10:43 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks
Merlot
To all intents and purposes, Tweed Heads is part of the Gold Coast, despite being in a different State. Accordingly, housing costs are comparable and so are employment prospects and types of employment available.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:53 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
If you can find employment in the area, the environs of Coffs are for me pretty hard to beat. Urunga, just down the coast is beautiful, and the Bellinger valley a little further away was one of the loveliest places I visited in Aus. Also, Coffs is growing rapidly, so employment prospects may improve over time....
Old Feb 14th 2005, 5:39 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Paula1 moved out to Coffs Harbour middle of Jan. Her uncle lives there and he has sponsored them so they are living with him for a while. She is not back online yet and I don't have her new e-mail address yet either. No doubt she will spring up as some point and will happily tell you what's happening.

My only problem with Tweed Heads (not been there myself) would be crossing the road during daylight saving months Start crossing the road at 8am and reach the other side at 9am :scared:
I have mailed Paula1 funnily enough yesterday, I will await her response.

Thanks though for pointing this one out.

M

Old Feb 14th 2005, 5:41 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by nickyc
Coffs Harbour has always had an unemployment problem. Too many western suburb Sydneysiders have gone there on their hols, seen the cheap housing, sold-up at home and moved to live by the sea. Only to find that work's a big problem, particularly during winter. They then can't afford to move back. Not much future there for bright kids - they have to leave home.

Tweed Heads is much better placed, for work prospects.
As Bondipom pointed out this is sounding more and more like Gosford - yikees!!! :scared:

Thanks to all for your advice.

M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.