Coded Welding

Old Jan 16th 2014, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Dominic34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coded Welding

I have recently start a course to get a coding in Arc and Tig welding. Is a 2G and 5G coding in arc welding as well as a 4G coding in Tig welding enough to get me a job as a pipe welder.Would these level of coding get me a jod were i could be trained up to a G6 coding? The reason i am asking is i am funding the course myself. Are there any Boilermakers, coded welder who use this site who can answer my questions.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

runcorn2surfers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coded Welding

in my experience a lot of countries and every job i have ever tested out for has given a range of test pieces.
a typical test for a company would be,

1/2 inch carbon in 6G full tig (usually x3 for x-ray reasons)
2 inch carbon in 6G full tig
6 inch carbon in 6G tig root, stick (mma or arc) fill and cap
6 inch carbon in 1G (rolled) tig root, mig (flux core) fill and cap (mainly for fabshop)

1/2 inch stainless in 6G full tig (usually x3 for x-ray reasons again)
2 inch stainless in 6G full tig
6 inch stainless in 6G full tig

i hope this helps so your not going to be shocked when you go for a weld test.
if you are paying for any course out of your own pocket to do with welding you want to make sure your getting as much practice as humanly possible because there's nothing more effective for learning the skill than hours and hours behind the mask. once you have a good idea and skill level with the tig and mma/arc you ideally want to get your practice on the 6G because thats the one you will need to preform at 99% of weld tests.

i hope this helps
Old Nov 24th 2014, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by runcorn2surfers
in my experience a lot of countries and every job i have ever tested out for has given a range of test pieces.
a typical test for a company would be,

1/2 inch carbon in 6G full tig (usually x3 for x-ray reasons)
2 inch carbon in 6G full tig
6 inch carbon in 6G tig root, stick (mma or arc) fill and cap
6 inch carbon in 1G (rolled) tig root, mig (flux core) fill and cap (mainly for fabshop)

1/2 inch stainless in 6G full tig (usually x3 for x-ray reasons again)
2 inch stainless in 6G full tig
6 inch stainless in 6G full tig

i hope this helps so your not going to be shocked when you go for a weld test.
if you are paying for any course out of your own pocket to do with welding you want to make sure your getting as much practice as humanly possible because there's nothing more effective for learning the skill than hours and hours behind the mask. once you have a good idea and skill level with the tig and mma/arc you ideally want to get your practice on the 6G because thats the one you will need to preform at 99% of weld tests.

i hope this helps
Bloody hell Runcorn are you made of money?

I'm a Welding Engineer and I've never put anyone through a 1/2 inch test. The only application I can think off for that would be welding in the pharmaceutical/wine industries or heat exchangers. If you did do a 1/2 inch test then this would automatically cover for the 2 inch (but probably not the thickness range).

I agree with all the other carbon testing except if you've passed in the 6G this will cover the 1G rotated.

The 2 inch stainless will automatically cover for the 6 inch.

There's a lot more variables to consider but that should be enough to get a very good start.

Keel
Old Dec 1st 2014, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

runcorn2surfers is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I'm aware the 1/2 inch is to cover for the small diameter pipe work,
The 2 inch is usually sch 80 or xxs, to cover the thickness range,
And the 6 inch is to cover all the larger butts.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I love all this sexy welding talk.

Keel