Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cockroaches in Oz ????

Cockroaches in Oz ????

Old Oct 22nd 2004, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really nice
Default Cockroaches in Oz ????

A mate of mine was telling me earlier about Oz being infested with Cockroaches 3" long. He lived in Sydney for a while and had to 'Bomb' his house every 6 months to get shut of them.............
Is this true???? :scared:
Is this a seasonal problem or all year round ???
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Mark Dowd will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cockroaches in Oz ????

Originally Posted by liverpool12
A mate of mine was telling me earlier about Oz being infested with Cockroaches 3" long. He lived in Sydney for a while and had to 'Bomb' his house every 6 months to get shut of them.............
Lived in Sydney for five years (temporarily back in Southport UK but thinking of trying out Perth very soon). Sydney does have cockroaches year round but most are far less than 3". The trick is to keep your home clean especially hard floors, carpets and kitchen tops, so they don't come to your home looking for food (they'll likely pop over to your neighbours instead ) If they do get in there won't be enough food crumbs to allow them to breed like crazy. Seal all cereals, rice etc. in plastic containers or use pegs to seal the plastic bag, fasten up bread (or keep in fridge) and don't leave food lying around. Sounds extreme but becomes normal practice after a while. Combine this with a few of those sticky cockroach trap things and you'll be fine. Sydney also has silverfish which can be controlled in similar way. It also "rains" christmas beetles (around December unsurprisingly). The thing that drove me mad was the odd mosquito in the bedroom especially at night - just had to get up and eliminate it before it had chance to drink any blood! The positives in Sydney far outweigh any of these minor irritations though
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 4:14 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I think this is a common problem in Australia.....but there are plenty of ways to kill these buggers, the best way is the flea bomb, not sold in the U.K. but a great little device. Just a spray can which you set and leave the room/house for a few hours, over the next 24hrs watch and see the amount of bugs it kills, even fleas, silverfish,etc.

Even the bugs see australia as a great place !!!!
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

i may be thick but what are siverfish??????
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 4:42 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

It is true in Sydney units. Pest control is a good idea in Australia.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

the price you pay of living somehwere hot is creepy crawlies. not a bad price to pay for paradise now is it

arlene
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 7:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bondipom
It is true in Sydney units. Pest control is a good idea in Australia.
I'd go a step further and say it is needed. One are that Cockroaches breed in is in Palm trees, so if you have Palm trees near the house, you may be more likely to have cockroaches visiting for their dinner.

Cockroaches were a bigger problem to us in Sydney, than they are up here in SE QLD. And, thinking back to my days of living in a unit in Sydney, I agree that it was even worse in the units.

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

We generally find one dead one a day in the house somewhere but the biggest has only been about 1".
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 11:57 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

and while we're at it don't forget the mossies, I got bitten 3 times at work last night and me ankle is up like a ballon, little bastards.

Bought one of those electric thingymajigs today, same things you find in food shops in the uk, got it on now in the garden and it's good fun listening to them fry

Walla
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mark Dowd
Lived in Sydney for five years (temporarily back in Southport UK but thinking of trying out Perth very soon). Sydney does have cockroaches year round but most are far less than 3". The trick is to keep your home clean especially hard floors, carpets and kitchen tops, so they don't come to your home looking for food (they'll likely pop over to your neighbours instead ) If they do get in there won't be enough food crumbs to allow them to breed like crazy. Seal all cereals, rice etc. in plastic containers or use pegs to seal the plastic bag, fasten up bread (or keep in fridge) and don't leave food lying around. Sounds extreme but becomes normal practice after a while. Combine this with a few of those sticky cockroach trap things and you'll be fine. Sydney also has silverfish which can be controlled in similar way. It also "rains" christmas beetles (around December unsurprisingly). The thing that drove me mad was the odd mosquito in the bedroom especially at night - just had to get up and eliminate it before it had chance to drink any blood! The positives in Sydney far outweigh any of these minor irritations though
Thanks Mark and everyone else who has replied,
We would probably have the biggest electricity bill in the world with leaving the lights on all the time...............and a chain saw to chop those Palm Tree's down....................................
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mand8002
Primitive wingless insects that live in houses throughout the world and are completely harmless. We used to have them in our bathroom when I was growing up in London.

They usually have a shiny cuticle and a fish-like shape hence the name.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mand8002
http://www.ento.csiro.au/education/i...thysanura.html
Silverfish are usually less than 20 millimetres in length and silvery-grey in colour.