Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Coast of living in Australia examples please!!

Coast of living in Australia examples please!!

Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:06 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Question Coast of living in Australia examples please!!

Hello
i was wondering if you would give me examples of rate of living so i can compare to were i live, it would be really help full thanks
how much would you spend per week or month on these things !
Rent
weekly shopping
clothes for kids
electricty
water

is there any other bills i should be aware of i really want to be prepared for our big move Thanks very much
Old Jul 19th 2007, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Coast of living in Australia examples please!!

Originally Posted by Baby75
Hello
i was wondering if you would give me examples of rate of living so i can compare to were i live, it would be really help full thanks
Rent
weekly shopping
clothes for kids
electricty
water

is there any other bills i should be aware of i really want to be prepared for our big move Thanks very much
Hiya we're in Perth but to give you an idea heres what we pay,
Rent $670 per fortnight
Shopping about $250 a week (2 adults 1 child)
Clothes, I find them about the same if not a little cheeper for a 12 year old, difference being that they are not so name obsessed over here so can get away with cheeper shops.
Electricity, I budget about $40-50 a fortnight
Water. If you rent the landlord pays the water rates and you only pay the excess usage.
Dont forget phone bills, internet and mobiles. If you dont take private medical insurance then you pay extra tax (medicare levy).
All in all I find the cost of most things similar to when I was living in the U.K but then I thought the U.K was a lot cheeper then when I was at home (Dublin) so you might find it better here. Just remember here you can have some fantastic days out for free in the sun
Tracie
Old Jul 19th 2007, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
Rent
weekly shopping
clothes for kids
electricty
water

If we run out of shillings for the gas meter; we can always nip down to Mullaloo Beach and use the built-in barbies down there which are free. Come on over..... it's magic.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

Hello
G'day

When people apply for a mortgage here, the banks assess your ability to pay based on what you would have "left over" after paying your bills. All the banks have their own estimates of how much it costs to run a "typical" household, but these estimates should give you an idea of what it will cost your family to get by.

ANZ estimate $1,500 per month for a couple plus $285 per child.
Westpac estimate $1,447 per month for a couple plus $372 per child.
RAMS estimate $1,250 per month for a couple plus $308 per child.

These costs don't allow for rent or mortgages but they do allow for food, clothes, transport, utilities, insurances, entertainment etc.

Hope that helps
Bob in Bull Creek
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Im in Redland Bay and pay

390 per week rent, thats for a 4 bed house with use of pool, gym and tennis courts
around 250 per quater electric
shopping varies but roughly 200 per week for 2 adults and 2 teens
Weve not had to pay any excess for water so far
Clothes ...havent a clue not really thought about it

Hope this helps
Old Jul 20th 2007, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
G'day

When people apply for a mortgage here, the banks assess your ability to pay based on what you would have "left over" after paying your bills. All the banks have their own estimates of how much it costs to run a "typical" household, but these estimates should give you an idea of what it will cost your family to get by.

ANZ estimate $1,500 per month for a couple plus $285 per child.
Westpac estimate $1,447 per month for a couple plus $372 per child.
RAMS estimate $1,250 per month for a couple plus $308 per child.

These costs don't allow for rent or mortgages but they do allow for food, clothes, transport, utilities, insurances, entertainment etc.

Hope that helps
Bob in Bull Creek
Do these estimates for food, clothes, transport, utilities, insurances, entertainment etc. differ from state to state or would they be basically the same all over??
Of course rent and mortgages would differ.

EDIT: BTW does anyone know average costs of creches/childcare in the melbourne area (suburbs)? oh and health insurance too? Thanks

Last edited by soulrebel; Jul 20th 2007 at 7:41 am.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulrebel
EDIT: BTW does anyone know average costs of creches/childcare in the melbourne area (suburbs)?
Very expensive if same as in Perth?
Old Jul 20th 2007, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Do these estimates for food, clothes, transport, utilities, insurances, entertainment etc. differ from state to state or would they be basically the same all over??
G'day

At times the banks have used different estimates for some states, but ATM the banks are using the same estimated costs regardless of state.

I know from personal experience that most shopping can be cheaper in Melbourne though

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek
Old Jul 20th 2007, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Petrol is $1.25 in Northern Qld but varies so still a lot cheaper than UK.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:10 am
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of

Well I've just paid some bills today and they were-
Electricity for a quarter $371.
Gas also quarterly $271
Broadband $69 (monthly)
Phone $42 - very cheap month for us,it has been $155 when daughter using it.
Rent $700 for two weeks.
Must point out,that we are in a rental with NO HEATING!!!!and the gas bill is purely for hot water.
Food is around $1000 a month.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

I find most things expensive......when your earning an Aussie wage........not felt this broke in a long time
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:15 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

If you do happen to decide on a couple of areas then look up this website:

www.realestate.com.au

it will give you an idea how much houses are to rent in that area!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

Can anyone tell me how much pies are? I love pies....
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by znaylor1974
Can anyone tell me how much pies are? I love pies....
Paid $2:80 for a Mrs Mac's Chilli Beef today!

If it aint a Mrs Mac's........... take it back
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Adam19 will become famous soon enough

Dont know if this will help - just found it myself. Obviously its not entirely accurate.

http://www.australia-migration.com/page/Cost_of_Living_calculator/95

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.