Reload this Page >

Clubs to meet new friends/ other english expats in Brisbane

Clubs to meet new friends/ other english expats in Brisbane

Old Sep 4th 2010, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

ChristineAC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clubs to meet new friends/ other english expats in Brisbane

Hi
My hubby, little girl and I are moving to Brisbane in October and wondered if anyone could recommend any clubs/ meet ups to go to where we could meet other expats, and any mother and baby groups?
Thanks
Christine
Old Sep 4th 2010, 5:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clubs to meet new friends/ other english expats in Brisbane

Originally Posted by ChristineAC
Hi
My hubby, little girl and I are moving to Brisbane in October and wondered if anyone could recommend any clubs/ meet ups to go to where we could meet other expats, and any mother and baby groups?
Thanks
Christine
Hi, and welcome to BE
If you have a look at the meet-up forum here -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95 you will find that there are quite a few meet-ups arranged at various times - some for adults, some for whole families
Do you know which part of Brisbane you are heading for?
Old Sep 4th 2010, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Hi Christine
Hubby me 5 yr old daughter and 3 year old son are heading out at the end of October. We are staying in Hawthorne for the first 6 weeks and will happily meet up at Southbank one afternoon. How are things going? I spent the day scrubbing garden toys!!!
Helen
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Hiya Pollyanna and Helen

Thank you Pollyanna for the link. I shall have a look through and see what I can find. We have been advised to look for a rental property in the Inner city surburbs and Eastern Brisbane I think (Bulimba, Morningside, Hawthorne etc) by a contact we have in Brisbane as my husband will be working in Fortitude Valley and we dont want him to have to travel too far for the first month or so. Can you suggest any areas which are good for families in these areas?

That would be great to meet up Helen. I think we will be in the same kind of area when we arrive. I dont know about you but things are crazy at the moment. We are currently having a big spring clean of the house and starting to pack things we want to take with us. Have you been to Brisbane or Australia before? We have never been so we are finding things abit scary as well as exciting
Old Sep 6th 2010, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Hi christine

My husband is working in the valley as well, when do you fly???
We are hoping for 24th Oct but are just waiting for our lodged 457 visa to be approved. My house is beginning to look empty, and have shown first potential tennants around today... didnt like one who is keen but I suppose I just have to get used to it and not judge- It'll be me soon. Shippers hopefully coming in 4 weeks then it'll be even more scary.
have you started to look for properties yet? we found a shortage of short term furnished lets - unless you want an apartment in Kangaroo point. We found one through Homely Homes.
we have both visited Brisbane seperately for 3 days, but have always had thos desire to live abroad and its got to a now or never- I am really not sure what to expect but would be great to have contacts asap who are going through the same thing..

Helen
Old Sep 6th 2010, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

The northern and western suburbs are better for access to fortitude valley as you then avoid having to cross the river. And the western suburbs are nicer in general IMO though Bulimba in the east is nice. Many nice suburbs eg wilston, ascot, hamilton, new farm, paddington, toowong, auchenflower, bardon, red hill, herston, kelvin grove, st lucia, taringa, etc
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi Helen
It sounds like we are completely going through the same thing which is comforting to hear . We are waiting for our 457 visa to be approved too and should hear something this week or next week. We hope to fly around 18 October or 24 October. We might even be on the same flight depending on who you are thinking of flying with What does your hubby do for a living? My hubby is a railway engineer. Are you planning to work?

We are renting our house in the UK. I didnt want to completely sell everything incase we didnt like it over there (which I think is highly unlikely from what I hear) and with it being so hard to get on the property ladder in the UK now. We are quite lucky as my sister and her fella have been looking for a house to rent and have agreed to rent ours which is a relief as I would be so picky who I rent it out to as I would worry about whether it is being looked after, so I know what you mean about being picky about people to buy your home . Have you lived there very long?

That's great that you have been to Brisbane before. My husband was nearly made redundant a few months ago and it made us really think about what we wanted to do in life, and we have always wanted to live away from home and visit Australia, so while my husbands job was on the line he decided to apply for a job in oz and got it, which has led us to where we are now. I think its a fab opportunity.

How are your children feeling about the move? I have a little 7 month old girl and the only thing I am worried about is her adapting to the change in time and her feeds.

We have a relocation consultant from my hubbys new company helping to find us property in Oz. They have suggested we look at the real estate website which has been a great help. We are looking at furnished properties at the moment, mainly townhouses and apartments. There doesnt seem to be many furnished houses to rent at all. Have you found the same? We already have 4 weeks accommodation booked for when we arrive which has been arranged for us by hubbys company. We are liking the look of New Farm, Ascot, Paddington and Newstead at the moment. I think the main thing for us is feeling safe and not being in a busy jam packed city. Which areas have taken your fancy?

It would be good to keep in touch. Sorry for my mega long reply

Christine
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Hi Fish
Thanks for your advice about suburbs. We were liking the surburbs you suggested. New Farm, Newstead, Paddington and Ascot have taken our fancy so far. We just want to be in a safe area great for families with bit of parkland and easy access to the city. Do you think these areas are suitable?

Christine
Old Sep 7th 2010, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Hi Christine

My hubby is a civil engineer so they may be working for same or competing companies- I'll declare who on a private message!!!!

When was your visa lodged? our company took rather long to lodge so it was only put in 30.08 so we are cutting it fine to leave by 24th but if not we'll be hitting christmas when we leave 6 weeks provided accommodation.

no idea where to live we need to look at schools- so far like manly the gap ashgrove redcliffe, would like a pool- ie a wide range - hubby happy to commute 45 mins and will need to go up and down coast a fair bit so we'll have fun investigating.. Dont like spiders so need to suss that out too. I hope not to work for a good while- am a teacher but have already given up work and enjoy the relaxation!! but will need adult company...how about you??

make sure you get a bassinet for your daughter on the plane- we took our son to thailand at 8 months and he slept well. be prepared for middle of night feeds.. ours would wake for milk/food in the night for the first few nights then go back to sleep. Daughter then 2.5 just got on with it and the heat. we are looking at flring emirates from Manchester as have bigger allowances and have 3 nights in dubai- cant face straight through I did that once and with children would be unbearable- they sleep but i wont and will get v grumpy!!! eldest is v excited about it all whereas son has little understanding of it and thinks a local walk in woods was a trip to Australia- parents have been very difficult but hope to be through the worse with them.

You have been lucky with your house. my brother has offered to have my cat which I am pleased about as it is a lot of moeny to ship there and potentially back in 3/4 years.

need to spend day listing more items on ebay- also spending lots as things are cheaper here and hey we are not paying for shipping...
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChristineAC
Hi Fish
Thanks for your advice about suburbs. We were liking the surburbs you suggested. New Farm, Newstead, Paddington and Ascot have taken our fancy so far. We just want to be in a safe area great for families with bit of parkland and easy access to the city. Do you think these areas are suitable?

Christine
New Farm is very inner city. Extremely expensive to buy a family home...say around $850,000 "starting" price. Renting might be doable though. Has a very beautiful park (New Farm Park) with great childrens playground winding through the fig trees, performance venues, cafes, a bike/walking path that floats on the river to get you to work etc. Very nice...think wealthy inner urban with 0 or 1 child.

Paddington is very nice, "slightly" cheaper than New Farm, run down in pockets where too many student rentals, stunning in other pockets. Maybe get a rental around Rosalie Village (Nash St). Puts you next to Milton State primary, Gregory Park (always full of kids) and great restaurants, cafes. Four minutes on train to city. Great clothes/food/antique strip on Latrobe Tce.

Ascot is more of a family area as a bit further away than the other two. Old money kind of suburb. Good schools. Not as much activity.

I have spent the last year looking all around inner Brisbane and have just bought a house on the Ashgrove/Bardon/Red Hill boundary if that is any help. My criteria was safe, family place within walking distance to parks, shops, cafes, transport, great govt school and not too far from city (inner 5km). These suburbs are in the inner west of Brisbane next to the mountains (<=1km) and the city (<=6km). You get more for your money than New Farm or Paddington but be warned they are still expensive. One of the best parts of Brisbane IMO and I have done a lot of objective looking. Of course personal criteria comes into it. Now that I have purchased I naturally remain unbiased Only negative is on the bus rather than train but they are very regular (lots of routes converge)...and you can always ride your bike like me.

Last edited by fish.01; Sep 8th 2010 at 8:55 am.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi Helen
We had our visa lodged middle of august. We have been told we should hear back hopefully next week so fingers crossed. It is a waiting game at the moment. Be glad when we hear back and if all is good can get a date sorted.

I have no intentions to work in Oz at the moment. I would like to spend as much time in looking after our little girl as I can but if I can get a work from home job a few hours a week a might consider that. My main priority when I get over there is improving family life and trying to make as many new friends as possible really. I am hoping to start going to some mum and baby groups etc, and hopefully as a family go to expat family social events etc.

We are just sorting out the house at the minute and deciding what we are taking and leaving. My hubbys company pays to ship the items but it's just the cost of shipping them back that concerns us as they dont pay for that and at present we only plan to stay 3-4 years. I know its quite pricey.

I am not sure what to expect about christmas this year. Be alot different I think than what we are use to. As long as I can buy a xmas tree I will be happy
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi Fish
Thanks so much for your advice on surburbs. Your reply was a huge help and has kind of confirmed our thoughts on some of the areas. I dont think we will properly know how we feel about each surburb until we get there though Exciting and scary
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Christine

fingers crossed your visa is approved asap- you are two weeks ahead of ours but I had hope ours would be soon- hubby needs to give 6 weeks notice ideally at work... and just a little too scared to do that without a definate.. but then with 6 weeks accomm provided we will be dangerously close to christmas. Xmas will be wierd this year. do you have to go to the beach on your own??? I am busy buying xmas presents to put on the ship---better not get held up!!!! I'll have some explaining to do about father christmas..

had a woobily this morning realising our caravan goes to a new home tomorrow and then it will be the cat next--- you find yourself asking why am I leaving all this behind- off for a girly night out tonight- It will probably make these feelings even worse- esp after a few glasses!!!!

I agree it is important to not work and make the friendships and settle the children. It wont work without that but could be very lonely during that time. see am in a negative today

we have taken the attitude to ship most stuff- things cost more there hence they can be left/sold before return- we are leaving photo albums/cds which are on the PC, a few boxes of kitchen stuff and selling wardrobes as they all seem to have built ins- really hope to get a WIR...

enjoy another weekend of sorting..

Helen
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Hiya Helen
You are thinking exactly the same as me at the moment! I have had a bit of a negative week and are starting to get quite emotional at the thought of leaving my mum and my brothers and sisters behind. It seems such a risk moving to the other side of the world and not knowing a single person. It is such a big country too. However, whenever I think like this I also tell myself that it wont be forever, just a few years and it will be like an extra long holiday jam packed full of adventures, maybe a few rollercoasters and lots of new friends I think it will be extremely hard leaving for the airport and having to say goodbye to everyone, but I am trying to think of it as a see you soon and not a goodbye, if that makes sense.

I know what you mean about the caravan and cat. We have just had to rehome our rabbit Flopsy and it was really sad. I keep imagining him in the garden still. I think leaving the house will be hard too, as we plan to sell it when we return to the UK and not move back in. There's just so much history here in the UK which Australia will never be able to fulfil, but there will be lots of new fantastic times in the future that Australia will provide.

I havent got a clue what happens in Oz at Christmas. I know a bbq at the beach is traditional but not sure what really happens. I am used to playing games with the family and snuggling up on the sofa watching a good film and scoffing roses choccies Be a good experience though.

Are items loads more expensive in oz? i was under the impression things were cheaper, food wise anyway.

Have you had a removal company quote you yet? We have had 2 and were told our goods would not get to us for between 8 and 14 weeks!!

We are leaving things like wardrobes too. Not taking the sofa either. I keep dreaming of a walk in wardrobe...sex and the city styleeee

We have just sold our car. Are u taking yours with you? I have struggled without ours this week. Definately wanna get one in brisbane as we plan to drive down the coast some weekends etc.

have fun with the girls

Christine
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Helen
I see what you mean about expensive items, just been on toys r us in oz looking for a smart trike for my little girl for christmas and they are £30 more expensive than in uk. Looks like i will be doing my crimbo shopping early

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.