Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Clothes shops in oz

Clothes shops in oz

Old May 15th 2006, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Toryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clothes shops in oz

i must admit ot being a bit of a label snob, well not conciously anyway. I wear Sonneti Jeans, and load of Ben Sherman, ****, Firetrap, Lambretta, that kind of thing ... i know, i know, but what can i say? i just like to look good !!
Old May 15th 2006, 10:28 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woogle
I've been disappointed with clothes available for my 2 year old. I used to get a lot from Asda & Tesco in UK, quite cheap,but still ok. I find it expensive over here in comparison. Just found nice pj's in Big W for $10 which was fine,but no-where near same choice,unless you want to pay what I would say is over the odds. Even Target,which is renouned for have everything,can be $15 just for t-shirt for her,where in UK could get ones in Matalan for about £4. Perhaps it's just because I'm hving to watch the pennies a lot more since we came Will be asking Grandma to bring me a stash over when she comes. I'd say stock up in the summer sales if you can
I'm with you on this one. Granny has already had to send some school t shirts over for our little girl and we've only been here 6 weeks! You just dont have the choice over here at all. I used to loved shopping for bargains - matalan, primark, tesco clothes etc but nothing comes close to the mark here. School polo tops are $18 here!! I could get three of them in the UK for that price! My next step is to get my mate to go underwear shopping for me (in the bargain shops!) and send some across - wont get granny to do that shop - god knows what I'd end up with!! :scared:

Take care

Rach xxxx
Old May 15th 2006, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

- wont get granny to do that shop - god knows what I'd end up with!! :scared:

Take care

Rach xxxx[/QUOTE]

Glad it's not just me!
Old May 15th 2006, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to all

We are living in Florida at the moment and like you guys miss the clothes from the UK.
I do alot of buying on ebay especially for the kids (from next etc) you can get new things as well as slightly used etc.
And when my mum comes i ask her to stock up on clothes and jammy dodgers (for my 6 year old daughter!)
As for next they do not deliver to anywhere but the UK that was one of my first thoughts when we moved here.)
Old May 15th 2006, 10:50 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I do a bit of shopping online, particularly for underwear at www.rigbyandpeller.com www.bravissimo.com and for some bits of clothing at www.boden.co.uk

debenhams, M&S and Next don't deliver overseas.

For womans t-shirts etc Witchery are ok - they also have Jigsaw and Karen Millen here. European designer labels are expensive and stocks low. If you are in to these then I suggest you buy before you arrive. You could even go to one of the discount places in the Uk like Bicester and stock up on what will be next seasons fashion here for half the price!
Old May 15th 2006, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tygwyn
I'm with you on this one. Granny has already had to send some school t shirts over for our little girl and we've only been here 6 weeks! You just dont have the choice over here at all. I used to loved shopping for bargains - matalan, primark, tesco clothes etc but nothing comes close to the mark here. School polo tops are $18 here!! I could get three of them in the UK for that price! My next step is to get my mate to go underwear shopping for me (in the bargain shops!) and send some across - wont get granny to do that shop - god knows what I'd end up with!! :scared:

Take care

Rach xxxx
I agree with you too! I'm really missing H&M - great for good price basics with some fab designs (not just pink & lilac!!!). Also Gap sales were great! Used to buy heaps on UK Ebay for cheap secondhand clothes - but the choice here on Oz Ebay is limited. Gymboree deliver here as do Boden - but I've no idea what you get stung for at Customs..?
Perhaps there's a gap in the market for us Expats??!!
Old May 15th 2006, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Toryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
I do a bit of shopping online, particularly for underwear at www.rigbyandpeller.com www.bravissimo.com and for some bits of clothing at www.boden.co.uk

debenhams, M&S and Next don't deliver overseas.

For womans t-shirts etc Witchery are ok - they also have Jigsaw and Karen Millen here. European designer labels are expensive and stocks low. If you are in to these then I suggest you buy before you arrive. You could even go to one of the discount places in the Uk like Bicester and stock up on what will be next seasons fashion here for half the price!

sounds good to me .... i fly out in a month, with 40Kg of designer sh!t

Old May 15th 2006, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Melbourne had good shops- I spent a morning in Chadstone - was shoppers paradise.

Just a thought- Marks and Spencer in Singapore is great so if you have friends going there from OZ ask them to buy your undies for you. There's a store underneath Borders - Orchard rd/ Scots road and a large store in Centre point shopping centre Orchard rd..
Old May 15th 2006, 11:16 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helinuk
I thought Melbourne had good shops- I spent a morning in Chadstone - was shoppers paradise.

Just a thought- Marks and Spencer in Singapore is great so if you have friends going there from OZ ask them to buy your undies for you. There's a store underneath Borders - Orchard rd/ Scots road and a large store in Centre point shopping centre Orchard rd..

Melbourne does have some very good shops, however, if you are off the fuller bust line (I am a 34E) you will find it very difficult to find descent underwear that is pretty as well as practical.

Also they do not have any of the stores that most of us are used to for our cheap white t-shirts etc like Gap, H&M, DP and M&S. They do have BigW, KMart but not the choice you get in the European/American stores.
Old May 15th 2006, 11:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
I shall definatly stock up at M&S as i did hear that undies are problem in oz.
Mandy
Sorry but this winds me up Why do people assume that only the British have decent underwear. What on earth is the rest of the world wearing. No, they don't have M&S (for which I am mighty grateful) but there are plenty of other places that sell good quality underwear - Bonds do good knickers and other places whose name escapes me.

For people moving over, imagine an Aussie moving to the UK - it's no different, they can't find what they want immediately - it takes time to find the right stuff for you, doesn't mean it's not there.

Rant over. Not getting at you Mandy but the "general assumption made by many".
Old May 15th 2006, 11:24 pm

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Sorry but this winds me up Why do people assume that only the British have decent underwear. What on earth is the rest of the world wearing. No, they don't have M&S (for which I am mighty grateful) but there are plenty of other places that sell good quality underwear - Bonds do good knickers and other places whose name escapes me.

For people moving over, imagine an Aussie moving to the UK - it's no different, they can't find what they want immediately - it takes time to find the right stuff for you, doesn't mean it's not there.

Its not a general assumption - its what she feels! I miss the places I mentioned too simply because YOU CANNOT get a bargain here like you can in the UK! Pure and simple!

Rant over!
Old May 15th 2006, 11:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Its not a general assumption - its what she feels! I miss the places I mentioned too simply because YOU CANNOT get a bargain here like you can in the UK! Pure and simple!

Rant over!
No it's what she's been led to believe, and like I said, it wasn't aimed at her There are also loads of "preloved" shops around that have good quality stuff. I manage to get stuff for my girls cheaply - it's just a case of looking, but granted I probably have more time on my hands than others.
Old May 15th 2006, 11:33 pm

No it's what she's been led to believe, and like I said, it wasn't aimed at her There are also loads of "preloved" shops around that have good quality stuff. I manage to get stuff for my girls cheaply - it's just a case of looking, but granted I probably have more time on my hands than others.

No-ones got more time on their hands than me at the moment. I'm bored out of my box most of the day I must admit!! Come on then - name the cheap shops. Hubbies just been paid, I've got the car today, I've got my EFTPOS card and I'm bored. Gimme something to do!! LOL
Old May 15th 2006, 11:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

No-ones got more time on their hands than me at the moment. I'm bored out of my box most of the day I must admit!! Come on then - name the cheap shops. Hubbies just been paid, I've got the car today, I've got my EFTPOS card and I'm bored. Gimme something to do!! LOL
K Mart and Target are always having sales, I buy more than they need then, Eldest daughter loves Supre - they regularly have sales - daughter all kitted out very reasonably. As someone else has said Best and Less are good enough - the speed kids grow, I refuse to pay Next sort of prices but have said many times on here I loathe that shop with a vengence anyway.

A couple of weeks back I found a Billabong warehouse type shop - got two pairs of boardies for $10. They will last my youngest for quite a while.

Get chatting to the mums in the playground - if you are at that stage, where do the locals go? Everyone wants a bargain, human nature, they will know the gems and how to hunt them out.
Old May 16th 2006, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I agree, I think bonds underwear is fine, and really like Antz Pantz which isn't badly prices at all.

Target is a great shop. The clothes are perfectly nice, generally well made and they are always having sales. Most of the clothes I get are from Target.

http://www.target.com.au/html/catalogue/catindex.htm
Their underwear is nice but there isn't much if you wear anything more than a C cup which is silly

Last edited by Shellfish; May 16th 2006 at 12:18 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.