Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Clothes Shopping in Australia

Clothes Shopping in Australia

Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clothes Shopping in Australia

Agree about the men's clothes, even finding decent t-shirts without silly graphics / slogans and those horrible long sleeve-things is a nightmare...

As for quality: at the end of the day pretty much ALL of the clothing in the UK is also made in China so not much difference there
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bridie
Agree about the men's clothes, even finding decent t-shirts without silly graphics / slogans and those horrible long sleeve-things is a nightmare...

As for quality: at the end of the day pretty much ALL of the clothing in the UK is also made in China so not much difference there
Yea the quality is the same, the nightmare thing is that no matter where you go, Target or DJ's, it's all crazy sizes and ugly patterns! lol I've found some normal size clothes and normal looking clothes at paddies markets, i'm hanging onto them for dear life - been wearing the same sets of clothes for ages now. lol

And jumpers, can anyone at all find jumpers? Not hoodies, I have enough of them, I want jumpers. lol

Mikey
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:57 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
If you’re a girl you shouldn’t have a problem (chicks clothes are everywhere), being a guy it’s a nightmare to find clothes.

All clothes here (from cheapest stores to expensive stores) look crap!. They look like they are trying to be stylish but instead end up looking like something from the 80’s – and obviously designed by someone who was colour blind!

And for some reason they all seem to only come in XXL, XXXL and XXXXXL (yes, I seen one with 6 X’s), not good when you’re and “M” like me!

And don’t get me started on shoes!

Mikey
Shoes, trainers, i agree, it's a nightmare. Not so much for the woman, but boys.
I have never been able to get decent shoes for my lads, my family send them over to me which is a pain for them.
I used to hate the clothes here, but you get used to them (quality is naff) and i quite like the surf shop clothes now.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:20 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Whats all the fuss about !!!! Target, kmart etc are fine for clothes in my opinion.
I don't see the point of spending loads on designer stuff, when for 90% of the year, all i wear is shorts / t-shirt.

2 pairs of jeans from bigW = $40.00 can't go wrong really
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:24 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Whats all the fuss about !!!! Target, kmart etc are fine for clothes in my opinion.
I don't see the point of spending loads on designer stuff, when for 90% of the year, all i wear is shorts / t-shirt.

2 pairs of jeans from bigW = $40.00 can't go wrong really
Some people might like to spoil themselves and buy designer labels.

I have bought clothes from Target and i find them ok, Kmart, god no!!!!

I prefer the surf shops, but alot of people find them too expensive.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by noggin
Good clothes shops in Oz,u must b joking..have u seen the way they dress!!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

I love Colorado, they don't seem to have an equivilent in the UK. The shoes last me for years and I still have a 10 year old pair going strong! When my mum comes to visit from the UK, one of our time honoured pastimes is going off to the direct factory outlet to raid Colorado together and stocking up. We both have quite similar taste in clothes - smart casual.

Not keen on Target or K-mart but great for children's clothes.

I also like the casual tone of dress in Australia. I never thought I would wear flip flops but slowly I've been converted (albeit leather Colorado ones only).
Old Aug 15th 2008, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

No one mentioned Myer? They do awesome sales, especially if you have small feet!!
j
Old Aug 15th 2008, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
No one mentioned Myer? They do awesome sales, especially if you have small feet!!
j
Myer are good for the colour blind and people who get dressed in the dark.

Mikey
Old Aug 15th 2008, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

LittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really nice

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
j
i found Myer really poor, but then we have a small one where we are... and as for underwear, M&S is surely missed... i have a friend over in Nov so i am stock piling at hers by ordering online and she can bring them all over for me... Shoes, i have found ordering from New Look at home and getting my mum to send them over is FAR less stressfull than going out to by some over here...

As for Boys, well, i will let my fella off then, we spent a whole day trapsing round the city trying to find a pair of shoes for him and ended up with nothing , we were there HOURS and i thought he was just being fussy......

I have found French Connection ok here and much cheaper than home... Kookai was awful and cheap and nasty material...

Oooo, we are supposed to be going to the city (Melb) for some shopping tomorrow - i wonder how much of a headache it will be :curse: haha.

Last edited by LittleHobo; Aug 15th 2008 at 2:54 am. Reason: because the pc thought i was swearing!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Somebody mentioned jumpers. Who wears jumpers unless they're cashmere? My kids refused to wear them after the age of 8 and I think you'll find that they aren't cool downunder unless they are really unusual, but I'd find it too hot to wear them even in winter.

I haven't lived in the UK for a while so can't compare, but I found the Oz clothes fine, and the sales were great. When we were there in June there were 50% sales and 3 for the price of 1 sales. I always thought Marks and Spencers were cheap and nasty, but so many people seem to swear by them.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:08 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

What an absolute load of ballshit is being spouted on this thread.

I thought the topic was clothes shopping in Australia but judging by the comments perhaps it's the middle of the Amazon.

So clothes snobbishness does exist.
Sheesh.....get a life.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bix

I thought the topic was clothes shopping in Australia but judging by the comments perhaps it's the middle of the Amazon.

Sheesh.....get a life.
It’s hardly “clothes snobbishness”, my range goes from the Markets to target up to David Jones etc, if it looks nice and is comfortable I’ll wear it, don’t care where it came from or how cheap or expensive it was!

I don’t think it’s too much to ask that they make more clothes in “M” size? Or would you prefer me to sit on my arse and gain a lot of weight so I can fit into an XXXXXL which they seem to have plenty supply for?

When I’m lucky to find a “M” it looks like someone threw up on it!

Everything seems to be the one and only style (I like variety). Looking for shoes all I could find was those awful pointy ones that look like witches feet!

Mikey
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:27 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix

Sheesh.....get a life.
I only buy Prada. I would never lower my standards and buy anything else.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
I only buy Prada. I would never lower my standards and buy anything else.
Oh god, I couldn’t go near Prada....... none of their range match my iPod

Mikey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.