Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Close shaves with redbacks

Close shaves with redbacks

Old Dec 31st 2010, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of
Exclamation Close shaves with redbacks

Not sure if others have noticed but came across several redbacks indoors which is unusual here in Adelaide. The first two appeared on the underside of shelves in office and the third under a table. in each case I scared them more than they scareed me and they had the usual "damn it's a human and I'm going to get squashed" premonition just ahead of its fulfilment. Then today I was shopping and tried on a suit. Just took the top off and caught somethng moving out of the corner of my eye and there heading uo from my shoulder to neck was a fully grown redback. Less brave on this occaion I tried ti flick it off gently so it didn't bite me. Missed the first flick and caught the second but scared the life out of the spider just ahead od its demise and probably made everyone in the shop think there was a mass murderer in there with me given the screams. Cane home perfectly in tact with the reminder that we are far more liklely to kill a redback than vice versa and that they are beautiful creatures that we need to be vigilent about at the moment as they seem to be coming inside a bit more. Nonetheless part of living here that makes you feel less invincible than living in the cocoon we so often do in developed countries..
Old Dec 31st 2010, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Close shaves with redbacks

We've found a couple here in WA. The second one I discovered hanging from my tea towel in my kitchen when I went to dry my hands on it Needless to say it got sprayed rather quickly & we've since had the house sprayed as I really don't need one of the kids finding one.

When I rang the people to book getting the house sprayed the lady on the phone told me it was unusual to find them indoors & the poor thing must have lost it's way. Poor thing nothing!

Alison x
Old Dec 31st 2010, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Sorry about the spelling folks. Did this on my phone and thought I could read the letters!!! Clearly not.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

I did meet one mom in playgroup who said she found one under her sofa. I had to resist the urge to tip all my furniture over when I got home.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 2:05 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I was bitten by one just over a month ago and spent the night in hospital, bloody painful and made me feel like crap but entirely my own fault for curling my legs around my garden furniture before I had sprayed it.

In fact it was more painful than I ever imagined it could be.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have one that lived in my letterbox.
Everyday I would stick my hand in and be reminded of that bit from flash gordon where they put their hand in the tree stump with the creature in it.

It lived there for a couple of months until the girlfriend saw it and promptly sprayed bug killer all in the letterbox, spoiled my fun.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Ianevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to all

opened the bedroom door one day and a brown snake was slithering on the lino down the hall- I had to double-take
Old Jan 1st 2011, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ianevs
opened the bedroom door one day and a brown snake was slithering on the lino down the hall- I had to double-take
Now that's really something! Only had a copperhead in my garage. Partner in Brisbane has had to deal with large pythons on a couple of occasions when living in Mackay and even in Brisbane, and actaully had one slithering around in his loft - Yuck, so glad I'm moving to Queensland...
Old Jan 1st 2011, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

buchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ianevs
I got up one morning and went to the shower in our ensuite, I moved the bathmat with my foot and out slithered a brown snake - I totally freaked! It was only 4 metres away from the bed. The last one we found in the house was underneath the desk in the study about 10 months ago, we have never found out how they are getting in though. A guy was bitten by one in WA in November that was under his desk in his study and he died
Old Jan 1st 2011, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

This thread's going to make everyone want to make that move to Aus...
Old Jan 1st 2011, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

It's just that we're not alone in loving living in Oz. If tt's a good place for humans it's good for other species too!! Nearly migrated to Medicine Hat before emding up in Adelaide btw. don't get redbacks in the shops there....
Old Jan 1st 2011, 6:17 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I shouldn't read these threads as all of the above are just my worst nightmare... I am just going closing the laundry door
J x
Old Jan 1st 2011, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Wishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really nice

Huntsmans seem to be in abundance too, even though house sprayed not long ago,(suspect rain washes most of that away) they are good at keeping mozzies down.I read somewhere that Huntsmans eat cock croaches too!
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Persia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant future

Yes they do, we get some of those here.

Not had redbacks or snakes in the house yet though, probably tempting fate saying that!
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Persia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by buchanan
I got up one morning and went to the shower in our ensuite, I moved the bathmat with my foot and out slithered a brown snake - I totally freaked! It was only 4 metres away from the bed. The last one we found in the house was underneath the desk in the study about 10 months ago, we have never found out how they are getting in though. A guy was bitten by one in WA in November that was under his desk in his study and he died
Eeek! have you got screens on all your windows and doors?

I'm forever telling the kids to make sure they close the sliding screen doors properly. They have a habit of taking them off the wires and leaving them open.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.