Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Close encounters of the slithering kind!!!

Close encounters of the slithering kind!!!

Old Feb 29th 2004, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Close encounters of the slithering kind!!!

Decided to go out yesterday for a picnic and explore. the weather was pretty chilly and temperamental so the beach was out, so off we headed to the mountains.

Boy, was the wind whistling up there, even with fleece and rainjacket, I was still cold! So there we were in the carpark at Mt Donna Buang, loads of people about, kids running everywhere etc etc. As we were locking the car, my kids were running on the boulders that lined the carpark, using them as stepping stones. I was watching them and as Tom was just about to leap on another boulder, life went into slowmotion. This HUGE (ok, 4ft long and about 3"thick) snake reared up in between the boulders.:scared: :scared: :scared: Tom managed to stop his 'leap' and after looking at each other for what seemed like ages, Tom jumped backwards and the snake dived for cover under the rocks.

Loads of people saw and seemed really surprised as we were in such a busy place. One guy said that because it was so cold, all the lizards were sunbathing on the boulders so the snake was probably there for easy pickings.

We have never let the kids run off paths etc etc, but we have been here near on 5 months and we have seen 2 snakes already as i almost ran over one on my bike on the Warburton trail. Must be the perfume I use!!!!