Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Close encounter with the venomous kind

Close encounter with the venomous kind

Old Mar 18th 2006, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really nice
Default Re: Close encounter with the venomous kind

This spider has taken up residence at the end of our patio. I walked through it's web the other morning, screamed and the kids came running out side to find me hopping up and down, waving my hands like a banshee trying to get the (imaginary) spider off my body.

He only hangs there at night.

Oops, I'm logged in as my man. I'm sure he wouldn't admit to waving his arms around like an idiot..........well.......
Attached Thumbnails Close encounter with the venomous kind-img_2123.jpg  
Old Mar 18th 2006, 3:02 pm
flirt

stutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac
This spider has taken up residence at the end of our patio. I walked through it's web the other morning, screamed and the kids came running out side to find me hopping up and down, waving my hands like a banshee trying to get the (imaginary) spider off my body.

Oops, I'm logged in as my man. I'm sure he wouldn't admit to waving his arms around like an idiot..........well.......
oooooh das nasty, isn't it hairy, even worse when you enlarge it :scared:
Old Mar 20th 2006, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
You do become very blasé about them, I have so many 2-3inch golden orb spiders running over me when I'm out on the tractor they no longer put the fear of god into you, I don't like them on me and I still panic when they run across my face but by and large I can now drive through them or walk through them. As for the markings, we were told the land only had eastern brown (deadly) snakes and the relatively harmless red bellied black, Since then I’ve pound out we have carpet snakes and pythons (I’ve seen neither yet). Todays snake was about the size of a young brown or a young red belly black but it was covered in silver grey wet mud that the tractor had spewed out so I can’t be sure what it was and I was in too much of a panic trying to get the tractor to obey me to go and ask it what it was. Hey ho, life on the farm…….Just another day in paradise!
Red-bellied Blacks are potentially deadly. The reason you don't often hear of folks being bitten by them is that they are far less aggressive than the usually bad-tempered (and even more poisonous) Eastern Brown.

Carpet snakes are a type of python and the only species of python found in your neck of the woods). The NSW Diamond Python is the same species, though with distinctly different markings. They like to live around houses, and so often turn up unexpectedly in close proximity to people.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:40 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luma
Whew that was a close one!

I grew up on a small holding in South Africa - it was a rule that if you are in long grass - wear your wellies "gum boots" and take a long stick with you. I've stood on a puff adder before and got the fright of my life.
I'd say the Puff adder did as well
Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lostpom
Theres a saying is Aus (accoring to my GF) that goes something like - 'If you kill a snake, hang it over a fence and don't go back to it until sunset'.

This links in with a story we heard on the radio last time we were here in 2003. A local farmer had apparently found a good size brown on his land. He got his machete and chopped its head off, leaving it to die. He came back hours later, went to have a proper look at it, at which point it sort of flipped up and bit him on the ankle. He died !!!

The first part is def true - always hang the snake up as a warning to others, and to confirm that it's dead. never heard the latter, but makes sense.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
The first part is def true - always hang the snake up as a warning to others, and to confirm that it's dead. never heard the latter, but makes sense.
Even when removed from the body of the snake, the head remains alive, sometimes for hours after. This is because the snake's brain can tolerate extreme loss of oxygen.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 3:52 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

arkon

That would convince most people to leave the farm for the big city.Being the big city guy my self a snake sighting would be tons of fun provided it was zipping by me with a snake handler between us.

Today I was out on the tractor doing a bit of slashing and I needed to get from one field to the next via a big drainage ditch, a crossing I have done many times before so I didn’t give it a second thought. I knocked the tractor into a very low gear to trundle down into the water filled ditch, The front wheels went in and drove back up the bank on the other side, then the back wheels went down and into the ditch and that’s where it all went pear shaped. I was in 2 wheel drive (back wheels) and because of the mud I lost traction and became stuck in the ditch. The tractor is an old open cab one so now my upper torso was level with the top of the ditch fully exposed to the element and snakes! I then saw the beast quickly making its way towards me through the mud. They must be able to sense when your helpless and home in on you. Anyway I was desperately trying to kick the tractor into 4WD mode and at the same time disengage the limited slip diff, both levers were stuck and not moving, Frantically I kept dumping the clutch trying to free the levers up, by now the snake about 2 feet long and unidentifiable because it was covered in mud was about 6 feet away from getting me in my seat. I then knocked it out of gear and both levers freed up and I lunged into 4WD mode and the tractor flew out of the ditch in the nick of time!

After a year on the farm and not coming across a live snake you start to get a bit blasé about them, almost convincing yourself your land is clear of them, This even after a few weeks ago finding a dead eastern brown snake under the slasher blades. Three days ago we saw a red bellied black running from the land and out onto the highway but even this didn’t prepare me for today’s encounter. So that’s 3 in a couple of weeks. Next time out I’ll have to wear my wellies!![/QUOTE]
Old Mar 20th 2006, 5:44 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Close encounter with the venomous kind

Today I was out on the tractor doing a bit of slashing
Having a bit of a slash, eh?

and I needed to get from one field to the next via a big drainage ditch, a crossing I have done many times before so I didn’t give it a second thought.
Yeah, I'd probably head for a drainage ditch if I needed one so badly that I was prepared to do it off a tractor.

I knocked the tractor into a very low gear to trundle down into the water filled ditch, The front wheels went in and drove back up the bank on the other side, then the back wheels went down and into the ditch and that’s where it all went pear shaped. I was in 2 wheel drive (back wheels) and because of the mud I lost traction and became stuck in the ditch. The tractor is an old open cab one so now my upper torso was level with the top of the ditch fully exposed to the element and snakes!
Technically, since the tractor is an "open-cab" style, your torso was already fully exposed to the elements and snakes - it's just that while the tractor was upright, you could only be reached by the elements.

I then saw the beast quickly making its way towards me through the mud. They must be able to sense when your helpless and home in on you.
Alternatively, they might actually have eyes and ears, with which they are able to locate you in the usual manner. Perchance it happened this way.

Now there's a thought.

Anyway I was desperately trying to kick the tractor into 4WD mode and at the same time disengage the limited slip diff, both levers were stuck and not moving, Frantically I kept dumping the clutch trying to free the levers up, by now the snake about 2 feet long and unidentifiable because it was covered in mud was about 6 feet away from getting me in my seat. I then knocked it out of gear and both levers freed up and I lunged into 4WD mode and the tractor flew out of the ditch in the nick of time!
I am so glad the tractor escaped! Phew! To think what could have happened if it was still lying there today!

After a year on the farm and not coming across a live snake you start to get a bit blasé about them, almost convincing yourself your land is clear of them, This even after a few weeks ago finding a dead eastern brown snake under the slasher blades. Three days ago we saw a red bellied black running from the land and out onto the highway but even this didn’t prepare me for today’s encounter. So that’s 3 in a couple of weeks. Next time out I’ll have to wear my wellies!!
You refer to this incident as a "Close encounter with the venemous kind", from which I infer that the snake was venemous. Of course, it may not have been venemous at all - but it's always best to err on the side of caution!

PS. Sorry for all that, but I just couldn't help myself. I truly am glad you're alright; my twin brother was bitten by a snake when he was just a little tacker, so I know how scary the experience can be!

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Mar 20th 2006 at 5:46 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 5:46 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Close encounter with the venomous kind

Ooops, double post...
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:12 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=tonyk38]Red-bellied Blacks are potentially deadly. [QUOTE]
Only if you don't cook them properly before eating them!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:20 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Technically, since the tractor is an "open-cab" style, your torso was already fully exposed to the elements and snakes - it's just that while the tractor was upright, you could only be reached by the elements.

Alternatively, they might actually have eyes and ears, with which they are able to locate you in the usual manner. Perchance it happened this way.

Now there's a thought.

I am so glad the tractor escaped! Phew! To think what could have happened if it was still lying there today!

You refer to this incident as a "Close encounter with the venemous kind", from which I infer that the snake was venemous. Of course, it may not have been venemous at all - but it's always best to err on the side of caution!
Well in normal tractor not in a ditch mode your arse is about 5 feet off the ground, when in a 4 foot deep ditch your arse is very close to the ground, Also seeing as not long ago I had an encounter with a nasty brown snake and seeing as the day or so before I came across a red belly that means there was a 50/50 chance of it being a bad one and I for one wasn't going to hang around and get my rear end punctured!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:28 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac

I think he is an orb spider........they destroy their web every day and make a new one.....now thats some way to do the hoose work lol
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:05 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by biggy
I think he is an orb spider........they destroy their web every day and make a new one.....now thats some way to do the hoose work lol
Not so sure it's an orb, all my orbs have golden stripes on the legs with bigger asses. Wish I could eat my house to clean it!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

Not so sure it's an orb, all my orbs have golden stripes on the legs with bigger asses. Wish I could eat my house to clean it!
An orb spider is any spider that spins a 'classic' spider's web with the radiating spokes and connecting threads; which narrows it down to a few thousand species in the case of Aus...
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:53 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by tonyk38
An orb spider is any spider that spins a 'classic' spider's web with the radiating spokes and connecting threads; which narrows it down to a few thousand species in the case of Aus...
Mine are all golden orbs I think, hence the gold stripes, and the webs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.