Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Climate Melbourne v Sydney

Climate Melbourne v Sydney

Old Nov 7th 2006, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

The howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant future
Default Climate Melbourne v Sydney

Good afternoon/morning

Can someone give me their honest opinion of the climate in Melbourne please? And how does it compare to Sydney?
How do the seasons in Melbourne compare to the UK?
What are the winters like, and how long do they last, etc,etc?

We are just about to send off our visa application, and are planning a trip to both cities soon, so if anyone could give us any other information on
Melbourne and Sydney we would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much

Justin
Old Nov 7th 2006, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Climate Melbourne v Sydney

Originally Posted by The howellers
Good afternoon/morning

Can someone give me their honest opinion of the climate in Melbourne please? And how does it compare to Sydney?
How do the seasons in Melbourne compare to the UK?
What are the winters like, and how long do they last, etc,etc?

We are just about to send off our visa application, and are planning a trip to both cities soon, so if anyone could give us any other information on
Melbourne and Sydney we would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much

Justin
In case you don't want a 'four seasons in a day', 'it always rains in Manchester' sort of meaningless soundbite, here's the facts, get them for Sydney and compare. Ultimately it's a matter of personal preference so I find Sydney too humid and too wet at times and great at other times, I like Melbourne's drier heat, less rain and greater variation (four seasons in a day type of thing )

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_086071.shtml

OzTennis
Old Nov 7th 2006, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_066009.shtml

OzTennis
Old Nov 7th 2006, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

cratfy is on a distinguished road

I think you need to consider more than just the climate. I found Sydney and Melborne very different places and have based my decision on what my needs are/were. But when you go I am sure that you will discover this. I have spent more time in Sydney in all seasons and have found it quite humid (in the summer), but bearable. I have only been to Melborne in the winter and it rained more than Sydney did when I was there. I found after seeing both places that my heart is set on Sydney. But it is a very wise move checking both of them out, as both have some great qualities.

Old Nov 7th 2006, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

The howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant future

Cheers for that mate

I'm defiantly not basing my decision just on climate, I have been doing lots of research on both cities, and really like the sound of Melbourne, Its just that some people have tried to put me off, saying Melbourne's climate isn't that great.
Sydney is the better option for me career wise (publishing), but the cost of living is putting me off.

Any other opinions on Melbourne v Sydney?

Cheers

Justin
Old Nov 7th 2006, 6:11 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that mate

I'm defiantly not basing my decision just on climate, I have been doing lots of research on both cities, and really like the sound of Melbourne, Its just that some people have tried to put me off, saying Melbourne's climate isn't that great.
Sydney is the better option for me career wise (publishing), but the cost of living is putting me off.

Any other opinions on Melbourne v Sydney?

Cheers

Justin
Justin the climate in Melbourne is different from 5 to 10 years ago - bear this in mind when talking too people.

On top of looking forward to the coming summer we also are looking forward to the next winter - it is chilly but oh so bright. Imagine long spring days with bright blue skies and the need for just a good fleece with clever layering making you comfortable.

We did our reccies in both the summer and winter to do a good comparison.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne's winter is longer and colder in the day, not as cold at night in some ways. And wetter. Less winter sun. But much more than the UK.

Spring/summer: Not as consistently hot (or humid) as Sydney, but the hottest days are hotter. You can count on both hands the days in a year it seems humid in Melbourne.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 9:30 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Justin
IMO that's what should be the deciding factor - doesn't matter what the weather's like in Melbourne if you can't get a job there.

Cost of living (if you take housing out of the equation) is about the same. Housing - you can find cheaper housing in Sydney if you are prepared to live more than a few kms out of the inner city / away from the beaches (I am a big hypocrite because I don't want to do that).

There's a lot more opportunity in my line of work than elsewhere in Australia (same for OH), if we'd moved somewhere else it could have taken me even longer than it did to get my first (temporary) job.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you very much for that

How long have you been living in Melbourne?

Any other info on Melbourne will be much appreciated

Cheers

Justin
Old Nov 8th 2006, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chels
IMO that's what should be the deciding factor - doesn't matter what the weather's like in Melbourne if you can't get a job there.

Cost of living (if you take housing out of the equation) is about the same. Housing - you can find cheaper housing in Sydney if you are prepared to live more than a few kms out of the inner city / away from the beaches (I am a big hypocrite because I don't want to do that).

There's a lot more opportunity in my line of work than elsewhere in Australia (same for OH), if we'd moved somewhere else it could have taken me even longer than it did to get my first (temporary) job.
Rozelle is a suburb we have looked into in Sydney, what's it like? And how much are you paying in rent? (if you dont mind me asking)
Old Nov 8th 2006, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you very much for that

How long have you been living in Melbourne?

Any other info on Melbourne will be much appreciated

Cheers

Justin
In case you aren't aware there's a whole forum devoted to Brits in Victoria, not surprisingly it's called BritVics! You'll get all the information you need on Melbourne in there.

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...hp?showforum=1

OzTennis
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:13 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Rozelle is a suburb we have looked into in Sydney, what's it like? And how much are you paying in rent? (if you dont mind me asking)
Rozelle (and Balmain across the road) is lovely. Lots of cafes, restaurants, loads of pubs (the area used to have the most pubs in Sydney apparently, to cater for all the steverdores), surrounded by water (harbour and Iron Bay), parks (Callan Park in particular), quirky markets and one off shops, great transport links, fantastic mix of architectural styles, real community feel. We are planning a move back to the eastern suburbs only because a) housing is so expensive to buy and b) OH wants to be closer to a beach

We live in an 1880 terrace house and pay a pittance for it because we were quite lucky.

Not a huge amount of units for rent in the area, more houses, but units start from $350 a week for a 70s two bedder which needs renovating. If you want somewhere more modern, on a resort complex with pool etc, looking at more like $550+. 2 bed houses - we saw some for $450 which were okay(ish).