Reload this Page >

Climate and health

Climate and health

Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

sm79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Climate and health

Hi,

Following our recce to Oz last summer the GF and I have confirmed our desire to apply for PR in 2-3 years time (to allow us to gain sufficient work experience prior to applying). After visiting Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney (and surrounding regions) we are most attracted to Brisbane and surrounds. This is for a variety of reasons but one small part is related to the climate.

I experience fairly mild eczema on my hands, but during the cold, damp winter months in Scotland it flares up to a far more obvious and uncomfortable level. Based on experiences from holidays to America and Oz I had assumed that the climate in south east Queensland would alleviate discomfort in this area, however I vaguely remember reading a post commenting on the humidity having the opposite effect.

I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experiences as to how the climate has impacted their health, for better or worse?

I would be really interested in experiences from all states (VIC, NSW, QL etc) and in relation to all health issues (eczema, psoriasis, asthma etc) as it could potentially contribute to a reassessment of our destination.

Many thanks for reading
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Climate and health

My friend's husband has psoriasis and he now lives in Brisbane and his condition is the same as it was in Melbourne. He is also asthmatic and its the same.

Brisbane is very humid and I do not really know but I would think a more dry climate like Perth or Adelaide may assist but I am sure someone else will pop along and give you some info
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Dont know about which climate would best suit- but by eliminating certain foods like dairy,this can dramatically reduce eczema!

Bluekipper
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluekipper
Dont know about which climate would best suit- but by eliminating certain foods like dairy,this can dramatically reduce eczema!

Bluekipper
Not for all of us unfortunately

My eczema has been hell over the last five years. There are two extremes in Qld (esp Brisbane) which it hates - this time of year the heat and humidity rockets, and it flares up, for the last two years the hot season hasn't been quite so vicious in Brisbane but this year its back to normal, and my skin is suffering for it. The other extreme usually hits arond July/August when the humidity plunges to the opposite extreme and we often get periods of humidity 20% or less - at times I can actually feel the moisture being sucked out of my skin and its so dry its painful.

Having said that though there have been posts on here in the past from people saying that their skin has improved here. If you suffer from eczema you'll know the triggers differ from person to person, so you may be lucky.

If you search through previous posts it's been disucssed in detail a few times, so you should find some other views there.