Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cleveland Village Bayside Markets in QLD

Cleveland Village Bayside Markets in QLD

Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of
Default Cleveland Village Bayside Markets in QLD

Hi,

So, wife and I came across the Redlands Tourism web site and in one of the sections one can find info on markets. Link and extract are below.

My question is....is it really how they describe it (awesome!) or is it one of those advertisement which lures the prey in to discover that there is mostly nothing!?!

I'm just curious....I just don't want to set high expectations...

Link: http://www.redlandstourism.com/WhatToDo/Markets.htm

Extract:

What to Do: Markets

On Sundays, it's well worth a special trip to wander among the stalls of the Cleveland Village Bayside Markets. Set in beautiful tree lined Bloomfield St, Cleveland, which is closed off to enable local artisans and producers of fine foods to display their wares, every Sunday, 7am - 2pm.

Enjoy a family day out with a unique shopping experience. This multi award winning market is expanding and our Farmers Market is growing.

The Market has been established for 20 years & offers a great atmosphere, live entertainment & music in the park, children’s playground, arts, crafts, retro, pottery, woodwork, 3D pictures, fashion, chimes, hats, feta cheeses, plants, fresh fruit & vegetables (straight from the local farms), butcher, baker plus sidewalk cafes.

Browse through the unique shops, sample strawberries straight from the farm, olive products and freshly ground coffee, try on exquisite jewellery, marvel at the myriad of ceramic creations and even get shoes made to order!

There's plenty of fun for the kids, too, with jumping castles, a carousel and wandering entertainers.

Whatever you're into, you can find it at the Cleveland Village Bayside Markets!
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:28 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cleveland Village Bayside Markets in QLD

I went a few weeks ago.......won't bother going back.

There are just a few vegetable stalls and the odd craft stall and a few other odds and sods.....it is certainly not worth going out of your way for.

The markets at Rocklea on a saturday are far far beter.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 11:15 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

its not worth driving to ... but living here its ok

they revamped what was a fairly tired affair by turning it into a 'farmers ' market about 2mths ago

its a *lot* busier and a *lot * better than it was. Mostly it is about 9 farm stalls, and about 20 other stalls of assorted types, organic foods, asian foods, etc , plus the odd flower/craft/etc type stalls.

its ok for a 1 hr or so distraction with a coffee and watch the world go by or to get some shopping . Going there and then go down to raby bay to coffee secret for coffee is quite a decent way to waste a few hours on a sunday morning.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I went a few weeks ago.......won't bother going back.

There are just a few vegetable stalls and the odd craft stall and a few other odds and sods.....it is certainly not worth going out of your way for.

The markets at Rocklea on a saturday are far far beter.
While I like the craft stalls in Cleveland, we get our seasonal fruit and veg from the Chandler market nearly every Sunday, with top-up during the week from the Wellington Point strawberry farm shop.

Grayling - now that you're living in this side of town, have you been to the strawberry farm yet? Their strawberries are probably the best you can get in the area, nothing like the bruised and tasteless ones you get from supermarkets and most fruit barns.

Mrs JTL
Old Oct 19th 2010, 11:43 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Grayling - now that you're living in this side of town, have you been to the strawberry farm yet? Their strawberries are probably the best you can get in the area, nothing like the bruised and tasteless ones you get from supermarkets and most fruit barns.

Mrs JTL
Not yet.....but I will have a look next time we are nearby
Old Oct 20th 2010, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
There are just a few vegetable stalls and the odd .....

Heh, I thought so.....

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Oct 20th 2010, 6:42 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B1K3R
Heh, I thought so.....

Cheers
B!K3R
There is a rather superb Candyfloss machine (or Fairyfloss in australian )

beware - when it rains a little the candy floss turns to wet-sticky-dye

I speak from experience of carrying too many candyfloss sticks for my too-old kids who gave them to me for 'a second' to carry.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
There is a rather superb Candyfloss machine (or Fairyfloss in australian )

beware - when it rains a little the candy floss turns to wet-sticky-dye

I speak from experience of carrying too many candyfloss sticks for my too-old kids who gave them to me for 'a second' to carry.
E & H aren't too-old kids, Spalen! Wait till I tell them...

Mrs JTL
Old Oct 20th 2010, 11:38 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs JTL
He just made that up they were all for him really.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 11:42 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Load of shite - don't bother your arse.

I live beside Cleveland, it's a total joke, turns a depressing sunday afternoon into a suicidal frenzy.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 12:07 pm
ah-beng

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Load of shite - don't bother your arse.

I live beside Cleveland, it's a total joke, turns a depressing sunday afternoon into a suicidal frenzy.
Wow - rain getting to you ?

I think it shuts by 1pm :-)
Old Oct 20th 2010, 12:11 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - rain getting to you ?

I think it shuts by 1pm :-)
Na, had one too many Buckies.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 12:12 pm
ah-beng

Mrs JTL
At least one of them is verging on 'young adult' judging by the uber expensive sunglasses I am now implored to purchase.

Actually this wasnt for my kids, I recall it being someone elses who had to take a cell phone call so I was left with a pre-teenagers handbag, 3 loads of candyfloss, and an umbrella, falling,as usual, into my natural state of slightly awkward dad-type figure trying to remember how to talk to young children without sounding like a berk. Apparently they dont have Top of the Pop's any more and no she didnt know what she wanted to do when she left school nor who david beckham was, those three topics of conversation exhausted I returned to rueing the new colors of my candyfloss inspired shirt motif.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

At least one of them is verging on 'young adult' judging by the uber expensive sunglasses I am now implored to purchase.

Actually this wasnt for my kids, I recall it being someone elses who had to take a cell phone call so I was left with a pre-teenagers handbag, 3 loads of candyfloss, and an umbrella, falling,as usual, into my natural state of slightly awkward dad-type figure trying to remember how to talk to young children without sounding like a berk. Apparently they dont have Top of the Pop's any more and no she didnt know what she wanted to do when she left school nor who david beckham was, those three topics of conversation exhausted I returned to rueing the new colors of my candyfloss inspired shirt motif.
Right, we'll swap kids, and spouse. You can have the monsters and JTL, and I'll have the young adults and Mrs Spalen.

Mrs JTL