Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cleveland High School

Cleveland High School

Old Jan 30th 2007, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cleveland High School

Does anybody have children who go to Cleveland school or know anything about it?

I've tried doing searches but can't find much info.

Its hard to tell what schools are like just by looking at their websites

What other schools in the area would be classed as good?

Thanks

Tracey
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cleveland High School

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Does anybody have children who go to Cleveland school or know anything about it?

Thanks

Tracey

Private:
Sheldon College
Ormiston College
Faith Lutheran

Public
Vicie PT

WW
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Australia Immigration will become famous soon enough

Hi Tracey

Just to add to WW : all of these are no more than 20 minutes in the car from
Cleveland High

Carmel College (Catholic)
Alex High (state)
Redlands College (Private)
Wellington Point High (State)
Capalaba High (state)

depends on what you want and your children's capabilities and or needs.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that

Does anybody know if Cleveland is any good?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Australia Immigration
Hi Tracey

Just to add to WW : all of these are no more than 20 minutes in the car from
Cleveland High

Carmel College (Catholic)
Alex High (state)
Redlands College (Private)
Wellington Point High (State)
Capalaba High (state)

depends on what you want and your children's capabilities and or needs.
Oops forgot Carmel. I left Redlands & Wello Pt off because of distance.

Alex & Capalaba were simply left off in response to the question 'good'.

WW
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

smiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tracey.d

Thanks

Tracey
Hi Tracey,

We've been in Ormiston (Cleveland area) since Oct 06 - two kids (14 & just 13).

14 year old finished off Oz year 9 when we got here - 13 year old has had an extended holiday - they don't start high school until year 8 over here so we didn't fancy putting our daughter back into primary school for 5 weeks after she'd done a year and a bit of senior school back in UK.

So daughter started year 8 on Monday (seems to like it) son finished off year 9 before Xmas (seems to like it but as with all 14 year old boys it's a bit of a challange getting an opinion out of him).

Our first impressions of Cleveland High is that it is a bog standard state high school - nothing special, nothing disastrous. Kids seem to be finding it less academically challenging than in UK, but appear to have fitted in OK.

You'll have trouble finding school ratings over here - which isn't helpful.

Of the state high schools - Cleveland and Wellie Point seem to be OK (we considered both) but I've heard some mixed reviews about Vicky Point.

Private colleges have a better reputation. I think the main difference (apart from the fees) from what I've heard is that the private colleges tend to be better equipped and supposedly have better results than the state schools - although without school ratings it's a bit hard to judge.

I know that the above is hardly a glowing endorsement, but our kids seem to like it so far.

Hope this helps

Smiths
Old Jan 30th 2007, 4:10 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tracey

We too are thinking of sending our 2 boys there who will be 12 and 14 when we hope to arrive.

We have heard mixed reviews some who take their kids out and some who have left them in. The good points have outweighed the bad so far to be honest it seems that it is probably about the same as the school they go to here.

The reason we have chosen it is because we wanted something the lads could get excited about and they love sport, it has a football academy attached to it and it shares its field with Redlands United Soccer club where the boys hope to play. Accross the road there are fantastic swimming facilities with an outdoor 50m pool (plus 2 smaller ones) my elder son swims as well as plays football so eveything is really handy.

We dont know much about academic side only what I have read on their website. Sorry.

I would have told you to look on BrisbaneBayside Brits but I think you have already if that is you look at page 2 of general chat and you will find I asked the same question.There is a few replies on there.

Hope this helps

Kaye
Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wardy2
Hi Tracey

We too are thinking of sending our 2 boys there who will be 12 and 14 when we hope to arrive.

We have heard mixed reviews some who take their kids out and some who have left them in. The good points have outweighed the bad so far to be honest it seems that it is probably about the same as the school they go to here.

The reason we have chosen it is because we wanted something the lads could get excited about and they love sport, it has a football academy attached to it and it shares its field with Redlands United Soccer club where the boys hope to play. Accross the road there are fantastic swimming facilities with an outdoor 50m pool (plus 2 smaller ones) my elder son swims as well as plays football so eveything is really handy.

We dont know much about academic side only what I have read on their website. Sorry.

I would have told you to look on BrisbaneBayside Brits but I think you have already if that is you look at page 2 of general chat and you will find I asked the same question.There is a few replies on there.

Hope this helps

Kaye
Yes, the football academy is somethingthat swayed it for me a little too. I know people will say thats not what they go to school for but if there is something there to get his interest going then all the better.

Yes that was me on Bayside Brits I'll check out the response you got.

Tracey
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Tracey

I would say that the State system in general for Qld is not up to that of the UK and therefore private is a better altrenative for the academic aspect.

In terms of good reputation for state schools Cleveland, Wellington Point, is satisfactory and so is Victoria Point (just) if you have the budget then Ormiston, Carmel, Redlands and perhaps Sheldon you can go line to find the fee base per year. (Ormiston is highly rated - but not the cheapest)

As for the sports most schools have sports and some have their own pools - which is a blessing - have a good look over if sports is high on the interest meter. Football (soccer) RUFC, I coach at the club and this runs virtually every evening, so dont worry about it being attached to the school it is completely independant in its operation and recuritment of players - RUFC usues a couple of its fields and that of the showground - it is a great club with being one of the largest in Qld.

Regards
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:00 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

If you coach at Redlands do you mind if I pick your brains a minute.

Can you tell me how age system works my elder son will be 14 in November younger one 12 in July, what age team would they play in {if they were picked} as of next season 2008 I believe it works slightly different than here.

Both lads have played football since under 8's and both captain their teams would they be given fair trial or is it like this country where if your dad drinks with the manager then they get a place in team {fortunately not at our club}

Are there many other British kids there at RUFC not that it matters to me but it might help kids feel easier about everything.

We did manage to have a look through the window while we were there last August but everything was shut could not see much have had look at website though and seen how it is all developing.

I realise you arent attached to the school I was trying to explain the range of activities available within walking distance. I think its fantastic I have to get car out and drive everywhere here.

Thanks

Kaye

Last edited by wardy2; Jan 30th 2007 at 10:02 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wardy2
Hi

If you coach at Redlands do you mind if I pick your brains a minute.

Can you tell me how age system works my elder son will be 14 in November younger one 12 in July, what age team would they play in {if they were picked} as of next season 2008 I believe it works slightly different than here.

Both lads have played football since under 8's and both captain their teams would they be given fair trial or is it like this country where if your dad drinks with the manager then they get a place in team {fortunately not at our club}

Are there many other British kids there at RUFC not that it matters to me but it might help kids feel easier about everything.

We did manage to have a look through the window while we were there last August but everything was shut could not see much have had look at website though and seen how it is all developing.

I realise you arent attached to the school I was trying to explain the range of activities available within walking distance. I think its fantastic I have to get car out and drive everywhere here.

Thanks

Kaye
Hi Kate (not a problem)

All the Kidz get a 'fair go' and your boyz will be in the U15 Div and generally there isnt the "old boyz' network its on merit with the coaches and for the whole season once accepted into a team.

RUFC has plenty of Brits playing from Roos to Old boyz like myself - dont worry on that score, it's really what has kept Australian Football alive and progressing - the Britz.

The club is undergoing major ground changes and development which is going to add high quality pitches to play on and train on for the whole season.

I'm sure you all as a family will enjoy the club and watching your boyz for many years to come and seeing them grow as players, at a great club.

If you need more information or help let me know - perhaps we can even meet at the club one night.

Sign-ons are happening right now so be swift !

Kind regards

Chris
Old Jan 31st 2007, 7:27 am
aka DORIS

Hi Chris

Thanks for that wont be there until next year though will keep an eye on the website though.

Kids will enjoy it i'm sure

Thanks again

Kaye