Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cleaning Hardwood Floors

Any suggestions on the best way to clean/remove marks from dark hardwood floors? (not laminate)

Somebody suggested getting a steam mop from Godfrey's (?) but we thought we'd ask around before potentially wasting money

If a steam mop *is* the answer, are there any particular models which I should be looking at?

Thanks
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cleaning Hardwood Floors

Originally Posted by tictac
Any suggestions on the best way to clean/remove marks from dark hardwood floors? (not laminate)

Somebody suggested getting a steam mop from Godfrey's (?) but we thought we'd ask around before potentially wasting money

If a steam mop *is* the answer, are there any particular models which I should be looking at?

Thanks
Ask timber if anybody would know he would
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
Ask timber if anybody would know he would
Timber, wherefore art thou?
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Timber, wherefore art thou?
He is knocking around at the moment or was about an hour ago
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
The trick with timber is to keep as dry as possible, don't go soaking it or using any astringent or abrasive chemicals. Depends on the marks, but a quick once over with a steam mop wouldn't do any harm.

NB: I'm talking of the flooring not the man.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartacus
a quick once over with a steam mop wouldn't do any harm.
Timber might like that sort of thing
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Timber might like that sort of thing
I had heard a rumour.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:31 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Our steam mop ended up in the bin, it didn't really remove the dirt just moved it around.
Mop and bucket seems to work best, with tiles anyway.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:50 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

I was thinking about getting a steam mop and searched around on the net for some reviews. They didn't come off very well and in particular there was concern about using them on hardwood floors.

My recipe - very dilute solution of vinegar and (optional) a couple drops of your fave essential oil. Put it in a spray gun. Spray floor, mop with a microfibre mop.

Tada! Clean and environmentally friendly.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
I was thinking about getting a steam mop and searched around on the net for some reviews. They didn't come off very well and in particular there was concern about using them on hardwood floors.

My recipe - very dilute solution of vinegar and (optional) a couple drops of your fave essential oil. Put it in a spray gun. Spray floor, mop with a microfibre mop.

can you use this on tiles and laminate floors ?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:02 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
can you use this on tiles and laminate floors ?
Absolutely! You can also use the solution in the traditional bucket and mop method.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

ta for the tip
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle

I go through gallons of white vinegar, I use it to clean everything. Floors, windows, bathrooms. Its the best and cheapest cleaner available.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

stupid question but does it not leave a vin smell if you use it to clean everywhere ?

and do you dilute it to clean yr bathrm etc
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:46 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
stupid question but does it not leave a vin smell if you use it to clean everywhere ?

and do you dilute it to clean yr bathrm etc
If you put the few drops of oil in as freckle suggests that takes away the vinegar smell. Dilute the vinegar in water in a spray bottle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.