Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

clash of visitors

clash of visitors

Old Apr 12th 2005, 2:20 am
Just Joined

Neil&Di is on a distinguished road
Default clash of visitors

anyone got any suggestions on what to do if you have both your parents wishing to visit at the same time.
one lot said they were coming for xmas, then the other said the same, we went to the first lot and asked if they still definitely wanted to come, they kind of backed off saying they weren't sure about finances or time off work etc. so we gave the thumbs up to the 2nd lot to come, they went ahead and booked flights etc then when we told the 1st ones they were a bit miffed but are now talking about coming at the same time.
problem is that although both sets of parents get on, they only used to see each other once or twice a year, under the same roof for a month might be a bit different.
i don't want my time with my parents to be 'diluted' by having other guests and my other half feels the same, although from a financial point of entertaining and showing them the sites it'll be cheaper!
any helpful suggestions gratefully received.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 2:26 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: clash of visitors

Originally Posted by Neil&Di
anyone got any suggestions on what to do if you have both your parents wishing to visit at the same time.
one lot said they were coming for xmas, then the other said the same, we went to the first lot and asked if they still definitely wanted to come, they kind of backed off saying they weren't sure about finances or time off work etc. so we gave the thumbs up to the 2nd lot to come, they went ahead and booked flights etc then when we told the 1st ones they were a bit miffed but are now talking about coming at the same time.
problem is that although both sets of parents get on, they only used to see each other once or twice a year, under the same roof for a month might be a bit different.
i don't want my time with my parents to be 'diluted' by having other guests and my other half feels the same, although from a financial point of entertaining and showing them the sites it'll be cheaper!
Can they "stagger" the holidays so there's a cross-over of say a week at most? At least that way everyone gets some quality time of some sorts or another and this may go some way to pleasing all parties concerned

Good luck....sounds like you're going to need it [only joking ]

Old Apr 12th 2005, 2:29 am

gedge has disabled reputation

lol - why don't you go away for xmas?

But seriously, couldn't you convince them that they should take some time to get out and see a bit of Oz whilst they are here. Then get one set to do some travelling in the first 2 weeks, and the other set to go for the second 2 weeks. After all it would be a shame to come all this way without seeing some of this great country.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 2:31 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Tell them it's too hot.
You haven't got room.
You'll need a hire car.
They'll have to drive.
The flights are cheaper later
Old Apr 12th 2005, 2:46 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Tell one lot that Easter is the best time, nicer weather ( it's pleasant in Brisbane this time of year, not too hot like it is over Christmas but lovely and warm, and the nights are cooler for sleeping). Not sure of what your weather is like there in Perth in Dec . If it' hubby's parents you want to put off to a later date -he can tell them this , or if it's your parents you want out at later date you do it.Make it sound as if you're doing them a favour by saying you are giving the them the best month

or if all else fails - good luck too. lol you'll be knackered out with two sets of parents. :scared:
I wouldn't like two sets out myself at the same time ( especially my mum in law and dad in law as they are separated.. .. ohh that would be fun having them out at the same time lol . Along with my dad who would annoy my lovely dear eccentric dad in law by his "snobby" attitude, but gets on great with my snobby mum in law, and my mum being just being dear mum - peace maker lol ) as obviously you want to spend more time with your family, and your hubby feels the same about his parents, when the attention will be divided between the two if they both come out at the same time

Just make out to your parents ( or your hubby to his parents depending which one you want out at a later date) that your doing them the favour as they are special and you are givng them the best month which is a later date. Flattery lol

Good luck

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 12th 2005 at 3:05 am.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 3:05 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Or you could tell one set of parents that Xmas in Aus is at a different time to UK

Old Apr 12th 2005, 3:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Or you could tell one set of parents that Xmas in Aus is at a different time to UK
Good idea, send them this link - Christmas in July http://www.queenslandholidays.com.au...8841/index.cfm

Old Apr 12th 2005, 3:16 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Good idea, send them this link - Christmas in July http://www.queenslandholidays.com.au...8841/index.cfm
PMSL....so it wasn't a daft idea afterall.

Or maybe it was...I'll get me coat