Clans

Old May 25th 2005, 10:37 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Clans

Bored at work and was looking up my heritage.

My grandad and great-gran were Clarke`s, and it seems it`s the oldest recorded surname in the western world, we were Kings of Ireland for over 1000 years, and also a sub-clan of the Chatta, Mackintosh and Cameron clans in Scotland. Don`t know which clan we were associated with of those three of course, but I think they were all from the Lochaber area (Fort William, Ben Nevis, the West Highlands and Coast).

Strange thing is, we visited that area years ago. Wish I`d known this then.

My wife is slightly psychic (or psychotic ) and she has sensed a Scotsman in full Braveheart gear around me a fair bit.

Must be because I`m going back to Aus next week that I`m all gooey about my Scottish/English heritage. Right, back onto ebay to buy a Claymore
Old May 25th 2005, 11:28 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clans

I am a Macgregor courtesey of my mother but she also has connections with the Bruces and the Clarks too.

Lynn
Old May 26th 2005, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like your missus has been eating too much cheese

Anyway, the Clan stuff is kind of interesting, I'm from the Clan of Harris so perhaps we're ye olde enemies lol, plus my Dad's side is descended from Kings of Ireland, but I unfortunately haven't inherited any castles. It's a shame us women lose our surnames on marriage as there is so much history there.
ATB with your Claymore hunting
Larissa
Old May 26th 2005, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I did this research, it turned out I was descended from a Pictish king of Ireland.

Apparently

Or possibly I'm just a sept of the Menzies clan.

Or the McKinnon clan.

And my family originates from Leitrim.

Or Meath.

Its all so precise, but we definitely started off in Ireland and ended up in Scotland, well, that goes for most Scots!! Dalriada and all that,

Cheers,
JTL
Old May 26th 2005, 4:50 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

The Picts were in Ireland? Interesting. I always thought that the Irish took over Scotland from the Picts and became the Scottish. What`s Dalriada?
Old May 26th 2005, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz
The Picts were in Ireland? Interesting. I always thought that the Irish took over Scotland from the Picts and became the Scottish. What`s Dalriada?
Dalriada was when the Scotti (Scots) got kicked out of Ireland and went over to Pictland (Scotland) and inhabited the western islands and west coast of Pictland. Their kingdom was called Dalriada. Through wars and marriages, they eventually took over the whole of Pictland, and it became Scotland.

So if you are a Scot, you initially came from Ireland. If you are of Pictish descent, you could have come from Ireland or Scotland, but more probably Scotland except it was called Pictland.

Does any of that make sense

Anyway, I wasn't too aware there were Picts in Ireland either, but there you go, the last Pict king of Ireland (probably only a small bit of Ireland) has the same surname as me (given that my surname has been anglicised from the Gaelic (or Pictish or whatever))

Here endeth my most boring post ever,

JTL
Old May 26th 2005, 5:13 am
Superfreak!!

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Anyway, I wasn't too aware there were Picts in Ireland either, but there you go, the last Pict king of Ireland (probably only a small bit of Ireland) has the same surname as me (given that my surname has been anglicised from the Gaelic (or Pictish or whatever))
So what`s your surname? Is it Cleary (anglicised) or similar? These were the Kings of Ireland for a long time. Clarke is another name derivative of Cleary.
Old May 26th 2005, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Stormz
So what`s your surname? Is it Cleary (anglicised) or similar? These were the Kings of Ireland for a long time. Clarke is another name derivative of Cleary.

You can't give out surnames here!!! You never know if some master burglar is reading this.

I'll PM you

JTL
Old May 26th 2005, 5:20 am
Superfreak!!

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

You can't give out surnames here!!! You never know if some master burglar is reading this.
What, so someone`s gonna burgle your surname???
Old May 26th 2005, 6:43 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger the burglars... (well, not literally!)

My Surname is Lamont.
One of the oldest Clans in Scotland, dating back to the 11th century.
The name means Lawman or Lawgiver, & I'm constantly correcting people who can't bloody pronounce it properly!

There is only one pronunciation of Lamont.... Always with the emphasis on the "A", never on the "O"....

"Climbs off his soap box...... "

BTW, most of the, "colour" names, (Black, Brown, White) are part of the Lamont Clan.... But that's another story...
Old May 26th 2005, 7:21 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Well apparently I too have one of the oldest clans dating back to the 11th century. We're sept to the Buchanans apparently. Cornish decent.

Hmmm.... Scossie, did you notice that the previous post was your 666th??

You devil you!

Siren
Old May 26th 2005, 7:34 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Well apparently I too have one of the oldest clans dating back to the 11th century. We're sept to the Buchanans apparently. Cornish decent.

Hmmm.... Scossie, did you notice that the previous post was your 666th??

You devil you!

Siren
I'm not Scots or Irish (just a common 'Eng') but my father traced our family tree back to the Doomsday book and our surname was originally Wargod (hence the user name here) so i guess my ancestors were Viking? in which case they may have 'known' your ancestors
Old May 26th 2005, 7:59 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod
I'm not Scots or Irish (just a common 'Eng') but my father traced our family tree back to the Doomsday book and our surname was originally Wargod (hence the user name here) so i guess my ancestors were Viking? in which case they may have 'known' your ancestors

I bet they would have (maybe even related..lol) seeing as my mother's side of the family is Swedish and supposedly go back to vikings as well

Siren
Old May 26th 2005, 8:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Well guess what, I tracked my family tree back to Adam and Eve and in a past life I was a Roman emperor.

WTF has this got to do with Australian lifestyle and culture?
Old May 26th 2005, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future

Must be because I`m going back to Aus next week that I`m all gooey about my Scottish/English heritage. Right, back onto ebay to buy a Claymore [/QUOTE]

re going gooey about being Scottish. We couldn't believe this at first. -honest to God- we hear bagpipes quite regularly here in Perth WA. We thought we'd left this all behind in Scotland. The first time it happened it felt quite surreal. Hot, balmy summer evening, sipping chardonnay in the garden and the Pipes!!!
It fair stirred the blood.

Its probably kids that go to Scotch College or Presbyterian Ladies College both of which have pipe bands. I just hope I don't hear them in a homesicky moment. I know I'd cry.
Ali

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.