Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Claiming VAT back at exit airport

Claiming VAT back at exit airport

Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Claiming VAT back at exit airport

I am about to buy a laptop here in the UK and have been told that I can claim the VAT back at Heathrow when we leave in August, is this the case and is it straight forward?
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:27 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Claiming VAT back at exit airport

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
I am about to buy a laptop here in the UK and have been told that I can claim the VAT back at Heathrow when we leave in August, is this the case and is it straight forward?
If I remember correctly you need to get the retailer to suppy a special form that you give to customs, and they then credit the VAT back to a credit card or similar.

We used to get asked for that at times, but my memory is now a bit vague.

The retailer is allowed to charge a handling charge for the form, and they may not have it available, and may need to get one sent from the VAT man.