Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Claiming UK tax back...

Claiming UK tax back...

Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:33 am
skye

Default Claiming UK tax back...

when you leave, what is the form and how long does it take?

Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

nev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to all
Default Re: Claiming UK tax back...

Originally Posted by skye
You can set the ball rolling before you go and claim up to 6 years! If you kept P60's for the previous years - complete forms R40 (Self Assessment) and just put the P60 details onto it. The other form is a P85 - this is for when you leave the UK.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:41 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skye
P85 is what you need. Fill in, send to your tax office and any tax owed will be paid back within a few months.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:53 am
skye

Many thanks - every penny will count!!!!

Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

When I claimed tax back I just phoned my local tax office and asked if they could tell me how much I was owed. They didn't tell me but did say they would send me a cheque within 2 weeks. I didn't have to fill in any forms . It was done over the phone.

It's worth phoning your local office and asking them, they my do it over the phone for you. I guess if you're already out of the UK you can ask them to pay it direct into your UK bank account - I don't know about that but it's worth asking.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:11 pm
skye

Originally Posted by LauraC
When I claimed tax back I just phoned my local tax office and asked if they could tell me how much I was owed. They didn't tell me but did say they would send me a cheque within 2 weeks. I didn't have to fill in any forms . It was done over the phone.

It's worth phoning your local office and asking them, they my do it over the phone for you. I guess if you're already out of the UK you can ask them to pay it direct into your UK bank account - I don't know about that but it's worth asking.
Thanks! - no we are still in the uk will ring them tomorrow - we go in three weeks........ better be worth it!

Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

I sent the P85 while here in Oz (downloaded of the UK tax website) plus my P45 from my last UK job and within a couple of weeks, the money appeared in my UK bank account. Easy.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Do they give you all the tax you paid back, or just the tax free amount thingy?

Thanks
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I rang not long ago to get an idea of how much I would be owed

Said I owed them

Just my bloody luck, said I would leave it and sort it out later

Was gutted
Old Jun 14th 2007, 2:18 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Do they give you all the tax you paid back, or just the tax free amount thingy?

Thanks
Neither.

You are taxed monhtly by applying tax bands as if you were earning that for 12 months. If you stop earning the you will have paid some tax at higher marginal tax rates than you should have. You get back the difference. The amount therefore depends on what you earn, and how,loong into the tax year you are leaving. If you left for example on 5 April, you would not get anything.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

kmtsst has a brilliant futurekmtsst has a brilliant futurekmtsst has a brilliant futurekmtsst has a brilliant futurekmtsst has a brilliant futurekmtsst has a brilliant future

Hubby has sent his form off back in April so are just waiting now ,was told there was a 15 week delay at the mo.
Sam
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

nev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jayr
Neither.

You are taxed monhtly by applying tax bands as if you were earning that for 12 months. If you stop earning the you will have paid some tax at higher marginal tax rates than you should have. You get back the difference. The amount therefore depends on what you earn, and how,loong into the tax year you are leaving. If you left for example on 5 April, you would not get anything.
Hiya!

If you left 5th April you can still get tax back if you've overpaid - PAYE is processed by the push of a button! 1 in 3 people in UK who are paid this way have errors with their P60 - I have mannually calculated mine and Hubbies Tax each year and he's overpaid every time - Form R40 from the Inland Revenue website is used for self assessment - enter your P60 details onto the relevant section and send to your Tax Office - this CAN work the other way too though! Tax is usually received into Bank Account 6-8 weeks later. I think you can do this retrospectively too - up to 6 years can be claimed.

Good Luck!

Angie
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nev_n_angie
Hiya!

If you left 5th April you can still get tax back if you've overpaid - PAYE is processed by the push of a button! 1 in 3 people in UK who are paid this way have errors with their P60 - I have mannually calculated mine and Hubbies Tax each year and he's overpaid every time - Form R40 from the Inland Revenue website is used for self assessment - enter your P60 details onto the relevant section and send to your Tax Office - this CAN work the other way too though! Tax is usually received into Bank Account 6-8 weeks later. I think you can do this retrospectively too - up to 6 years can be claimed.

Good Luck!

Angie
Hey guys

I think I might be missing something here.

I am an employee of a company - and my wages are taxed before i get them.

Are you saying I might be due some sort of rebate?

Can somebody actually explain what it's for before I go phoning the tax office.

Dont want to miss out on something I'm entitled to!

Thanks a bunch

Laura
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:46 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gordon&laura
Hey guys

I think I might be missing something here.

I am an employee of a company - and my wages are taxed before i get them.

Are you saying I might be due some sort of rebate?

Can somebody actually explain what it's for before I go phoning the tax office.

Dont want to miss out on something I'm entitled to!

Thanks a bunch

Laura
you are entitled to earn a certain amount every year tax free which is then divided equally over the 12 months that you are employed in a tax year. If you leave in the 2nd month of a tax year it is likely you will get all your tax back as you have not earned the tax free limit yet. If you leave in month 11 then you are less likely to receive a rebate.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all

Originally Posted by northernbird
you are entitled to earn a certain amount every year tax free which is then divided equally over the 12 months that you are employed in a tax year. If you leave in the 2nd month of a tax year it is likely you will get all your tax back as you have not earned the tax free limit yet. If you leave in month 11 then you are less likely to receive a rebate.
You are a star!!

I'm getting onto them now!

We leave in just over 2 weeks time.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Laura

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.